Which is better - Resmed S9 or Devilbiss Intellipap DV54?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

• Site Supporter

Which is better - Resmed S9 or Devilbiss Intellipap DV54?

Postby Anfield8 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:45 am

My husband has just been diagnosed, Dr's RX says APAP, the DME offered the Intellipap DV54 over the S9, saying it was just as good. DME tech says the S9 has problems with the humidifier/software. Can anyone give us any input on this? I don't see many users listing the Intellipap as their machine, but I do see lots of people praising & using the S9. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Anfield8

Postby Vicki » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 am

I LOVE my IntelliPAP. You don't need any extra hardware or software to access the data, which is complete with AHI, leak rate, 95% tile, etc.

The only downside I see is that it does not have an expiratory relief function like EPR if your husband needs it. You have to get a PAP for the features that he will need. I got mine because:

1. Lightweight and smaller. therefore easier for me to travel with.
2. DC ready, easier to run off a battery.
3. Fully data capable without needing software or hardware
4. One of the quietest PAPs on the market (but most of the sound comes from the mask anyway).

I am not familiar with the S9, but Crohnie Too is the equipment guru here so see what she thinks.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Re: Which is better - Resmed S9 or Devilbiss Intellipap DV54

Postby Daniel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:59 am

Anfield8 wrote:My husband has just been diagnosed, Dr's RX says APAP, the DME offered the Intellipap DV54 over the S9, saying it was just as good. DME tech says the S9 has problems with the humidifier/software. Can anyone give us any input on this? I don't see many users listing the Intellipap as their machine, but I do see lots of people praising & using the S9. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DME should have offered you a wider range of equipment (Resmed, Respironics, F & P, DeVilbiss etc etc).

Haven't heard any adverse reports on the S9.........it has a lot more comfort features than the IntelliPAP (Climate Hose, visible data)......it is also smaller than the intelliPAP. It is the very latest offering from ResMed.

Respionics equipment is also very good, as is F & P.

I don't like the idea of pushing one particular brand while 'finding fault' with, what is probably' the rolls royce of machine.

BTW, I use the DeVilbiss machine (we call it the Cube).........it is very quiet and easy to carry.........BUT mine is the basic model.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby CrohnieToo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Respironics is the leading manufacturer of PAP devices in the USA. Resmed is the second leading manufacturer of PAP devices in the USA. Between these two they "control" some 80% of the PAP market in the USA. That is why you hear more about them than the other brands. The Puritan Bennett (Coviden and recently Sandman) has always had a loyal following. Until just recently they were the only manufacturers of fully data capable PAPs.

But now, DeVilbiss, Fisher & Paykel and Sandman have all recently come out w/fully data capable CPAPs and APAPs. All 5 manufacturers are still producing entry level, basic, bare-bone, compliance data only PAPs so the manufacturer's name alone doesn't guarantee you a fully data capable PAP.

IF I remember correctly all 5 manufacturers provide the Ramp feature on their PAPs. To the best of my knowledge only Resprionics and Resmed provide an expiration pressure relief feature. I've had no experience w/the Resmed S9s. I can tell you that I have been an AVID Resmed S8 user. And I am currently using a Philips Respironics (PR) SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex and it is doing an EXCELLENT job for me as one would expect. IF I were still a candidate for CPAP instead of needing a bi-level I CAN tell you I would really like the opportunity to try an APAP model by the other 3 manufacturers, out of curiosity, if nothing else.

The key advantage to the Resmed and Respironics models is that there are so many more users of these two brands that if you need assistance or have questions there are more users in the forums to help you out.

And, while in an ideal world or situation, it would be as Daniel said, we would be given the opportuntiy to "test drive" each brand/model that interested us as we can a car. Unfortunately, these are medical devices. AND Daniel is in Ireland. Here is the USA most local DME suppliers prefer to provide a choice of just one brand or two brands at most of PAP devices as they can buy them in bulk thereby padding their profit margin when placing them w/patients.

My personal preference remains the Resmed S8s - but - it has NOTHING to do w/the therapy provided being better - they just have physical features that I prefer. #1 being the humidifier water tank w/the water level staring me in the face, easy to see. #2 I like the easy 2 button access to so much of the data. #3 while I would love to have the additional data the S9s and the PR S1s can provide I much prefer the way the S8s present that data. #4 I really appreciate the S8s not having that dang box on the power cord.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Re: Which is better - Resmed S9 or Devilbiss Intellipap DV54

Postby Bill Bolton » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Anfield8 wrote:DME tech says the S9 has problems with the humidifier/software.

The DME tech is blowing smoke.

I have been using an S9 Autoset since April with zero problem of any sort.

Cheers,

Bill
Bill Bolton

Postby Janknitz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm

If you look at a popular online CPAP supply site, the DeVilbiss sells for about $435, the S9 for $853. So of course the DME will push the DeVilbiss because that's a big difference in profit margin.

Chroie Too adressed this question in great detail here: http://www.apneasupport.org/viewtopic.php?p=167924&highlight=humidifier+problems#167924
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions