What is considered a dangerous oxygen level.

This area is for the discussion of Pediatric Sleep Apnea.

What is considered a dangerous oxygen level.

Postby momofthree » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 pm

I am new to the site and was wondering what is considered to be a bad or dangerous blood oxygen level during an apnea episode for a three year old. Is a momentary drop considered bad or is it only bad when the drop is sustained for a certain period of time?
momofthree

Postby shelee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:56 pm

How low are you talking about?? How long did it last and how frequently did it occur?? My son is 4 and the lowest he's ever gone is 77%. His doctors become concerned if he drops below 90% but he's got supplemental oxygen that he uses at home whenever he drops below 92%. There are some kids who can go lower before there is cause for alarm and some that need to stay above 94%. It depends on the kid, the condition and the doctor. Does that help at all?? Or did that just make you more confused...?? lol Let us know if you have any other (or more specific) questions.
shelee

Postby momofthree » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:37 am

shelee,
Thank you for your reply. We got an oxygen monitor less than two weeks ago after a major apnea episode at home. We have it set to alarm at anything lower than 90%. He has been setting the alarm off about 6 times a night, sometimes more sometimes less. Almost every night he has gone down into the mid to low 80’s multiple times, twice he has gone as low as 75%, and once (if the monitor was tracking right) he went down into the 60’s. I am not sure how long all of these lasted as of yet as I was more concerned about rousing him! We are going to try to get a printout the end of this week and hopefully I will be able to tell you how long they are lasting. Any input would be greatly appreciated as we wait for our doctor's appoinment.
A worried mother of three.
momofthree

Postby shelee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 pm

You should be able to get some good information from the oximeter, however you should probably contact your DME to find out how much recording time your machine has. Some record 12 hours and some up to 72. But it can vary from only recording events to recording in real time. I'd hate for you to wait until the end of the week and risk losing information....

Is your son being treated with a c/bipap machine?? Does he have (or have you looked into) supplemental oxygen?? Anything below 90% in pediatrics can be cause for concern but if you're seeing him go that low as many as 6 times each night, it would be well worth talking to your doctor for further treatment.
shelee

• Site Supporter