Water in CPap hose

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Water in CPap hose

Postby Egward » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:42 pm

Anyone ever have water from your humidier come up the hose and into your mask? My Cpap does this every once in a while. Bro-in-law, also a sleep apnea sufferer, said it's because the hose is not positioned properly. I tried his suggestons, but to no avail. Anyone have any advice?
Egward

Postby Anhelo Impedio » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:14 pm

I'm a "nose tuber" in addition to a "CPAPer". The water problem also occurs in the oxygen tube I wear all day. The tube runs across the floor, which is cooler, then the air above it. Then the tube angles up to my height. Guess what happens in the 50' tube? Would you believe rain? It’s called “rain-outâ€
Success Nourishes Hope
Anhelo Impedio

Re: Water in CPap hose

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:05 pm

Egward wrote:Anyone ever have water from your humidier come up the hose and into your mask? My Cpap does this every once in a while. Bro-in-law, also a sleep apnea sufferer, said it's because the hose is not positioned properly. I tried his suggestons, but to no avail. Anyone have any advice?

Hi,

Suggest you place humidifier under the cpap machine, to allow water to flow back to water chamber. If a combined unit this does not apply.

Next, make sure that cpap machine plus humidifier is placed below the level of your head (while lying in bed). You may also need to adjust heating controls.

You also need to be careful in case there is a build up of water in the 'u' bend of the hose as it will effect the airflow and may block it.

What you are experiencing is 'rainout'. If the these suggestions don't work get on to your cpap supplier.

Daniel
The untreated Sleep Apnoea sufferer died quietly in his sleep..
Unlike his three passengers who died screaming !

The first 40 years of childhood are by far the hardest
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby rested gal » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:48 am

Egward, the single most effective thing you can do to control rain-out is to get yourself the Aussie heated hose from (commercial link deleted) Use it instead of the air hose that came with your machine. The Aussie hose itself is plugged in and stays slightly warm...just warm enough to prevent the warmed humidified air from your heated humidifier from losing its moisture during the long trip up through a cold plastic hose. The heated hose is far, far more effective than any hose covers you could buy or hose arrangement.

You can try other methods first - they might eliminate the problem. But if the problem persists, the Aussie heated hose is the surest solution, especially if you like to keep the bedroom cool for sleeping.
rested gal

Postby Vicki » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:35 am

As previously mentioned, in addition to putting your CPAP lower than you so that the condensed water runs back into the CPAP, try turn the heat down on your humidifier. Also, a very cheap and simple way to insulate your hose is to cut the toes off tube socks and pile them on (thanks to Dave Hargett).

Vicki
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby lindas88 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:03 am

I also have that problem. My husband and I like to have a window fan going in our bedroom all night and it sure cools it down in there.....makes sleeping easier but I also get a wet hose. I have my heated humidifier on 3 and can't turn it down because of my throat. I tried leaving my hose and mask out of the bedroom and setting it up just before bed so it starts out warm but if I go to the bathroom in the night and then put the mask back on there is water in the hose again. I usually end up just leaving the whole thing off. :-( Last night I pulled the hose under the covers with me....I had no problems with wetness. I know once winter comes I will have problems more often so am thinking of the sock thing that Vicki suggested. Rested gal....I tried that website (sleepzone.au.com) and it wouldn't work. Will try again later. This doesn't happen everynight but when it does it is annoying.
*** Linda ***

lindas88

Postby capt » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:59 pm

Rested Gal probably thought you would do a Google search to find the site. The address is;

The American Sleep Apnea Association does not promote or endorse a particular brand, manufacturer, or vendor of Sleep Apnea Products.
capt

Postby -redaw- » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:59 pm

Lindas88,

I'd add this to my post as a link, but links to commercial sites are not allowed and I don't want you to miss getting the info you need because my post go moderated into oblivion
-redaw-

Postby rested gal » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:35 am

Lindas88, the order of the words was my mistake. au goes at the end instead of in the middle. Sorry about that.
rested gal

Postby lindas88 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:25 am

Now they deleted the whole thing....can someone pm me with the website?...Thanks.... :-)
*** Linda ***

lindas88

Postby Solitaire » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:55 am

I just found this forum yesterday and am thrilled to finally find some good information! I use a ResMed Autoset Spirit with humidifier, and Nasal Air II head gear. I have run into the same problem with condensation in the hose.

What I ended up doing was using a tension pole next to my bed (floor to ceiling kind that was bought for hanging plants, and has several moveable hangars). Then I run the hose through a hangar well above head level. It drains any condensation back into the water container. The added bonus was no more tugging of the hose at night as it slipped off the pillow or bed.

:-D
Solitaire

Postby arthur44180 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:33 pm

Some people have been know to use velcro tie straps to hold the hose to things. Everyone is different and we all have different equipment, but we are all aiming for the same good night sleep.

This is a wonderful sight, and we are all on the same level, which is sharing knowledge and experiences. This is intended to give each other support in that we keep treating our condition.

Remember Hope is the twin sister to try. When you say I'll try or I hope to use my equipment you set yourself up for failure.

I like the words: That sound right for me! I'll do that! When you do this, you have no other recourse.

Glad that you found us and I know that you will enjoy this site.

I have one question and that is: Why are some of us not willing to give us a little more info in their profile's ?
Art
arthur44180

Postby WebDiva » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Arthur Sweetland wrote:I have one question and that is: Why are some of us not willing to give us a little more info in their profile's ?

Fear? That would be my guess...
Some people still want to remain rather anonymous... I see it on other
forums that I post in.
=^) Valerie
WebDiva

Postby bdsintx6 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:22 pm

rested gal wrote:Egward, the single most effective thing you can do to control rain-out is to get yourself the Aussie heated hose from (commercial link deleted) Use it instead of the air hose that came with your machine. The Aussie hose itself is plugged in and stays slightly warm...just warm enough to prevent the warmed humidified air from your heated humidifier from losing its moisture during the long trip up through a cold plastic hose. The heated hose is far, far more effective than any hose covers you could buy or hose arrangement.

You can try other methods first - they might eliminate the problem. But if the problem persists, the Aussie heated hose is the surest solution, especially if you like to keep the bedroom cool for sleeping.

i did a google search on what you suggested here and found what i beleive you were referring to.

my question is: will i need to obtain some sort of power converter/inverter/adapter being as this is coming from Austrailia?

Thanks.
bdsintx6

Re: Water in CPap hose

Postby sandiegolady » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:22 pm

I tried the room temp suggestions, the humidifier, the cover for the hose. Still had water in my mask. Less so I didn't wake up as often, but still at least once or twice per night. Here's what worked for me. I believe that the reason I have rainout is that the air I exhale is body temp and my bedroom temp about 68 so I was exhaling warm air into a cool tube. I started sleeping with the hose against my torso. No more rain out. It's nice not to wake up in the middle of the night from water dripping in my nose.
sandiegolady

Machine: Respironics REMstar
Mask: Fisher&Paykel FlesiFit 407
Humidifier: Respironics System One
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions