• Site Supporter

Wake up sweating

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Wake up sweating

Postby stiffkittens » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:41 pm

Does anybody wake up sweating, particularly behind the head? I wake up sometimes with the back of head soaked. More towards the base of the head. I also feel like I might of had mini-seisures sometimes. I wake up and have kind of twitch in my head, like it's clicking a bit. I don't know. Anybodyhave any ideas to what could be happening.
stiffkittens

Re: Wake up sweating

Postby justtrish » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:39 am

stiffkittens wrote:Does anybody wake up sweating, particularly behind the head? I wake up sometimes with the back of head soaked. More towards the base of the head. I also feel like I might of had mini-seisures sometimes. I wake up and have kind of twitch in my head, like it's clicking a bit. I don't know. Anybodyhave any ideas to what could be happening.

Waking up sweating sounds more like menopause than sleep apnea.

Trish
justtrish

Postby bdp522 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:13 am

I would wake up sweating several times a night. The back of my head was always soaked! Due to a hysterectomy when I was 40, the doctors tried hormone replacement therapy for years. Needless to say it didn't work. FINALLY got tested for apnea and was put on cpap. Not a single night sweat since...NOT ONE!!!! I have since heard of others who had sweats before cpap and none after starting therapy. I'm sure other things could cause night sweats too, but 100% compliance and proper pressure stopped mine.
bdp522

Postby auntnene » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:44 am

My night sweats vanished also... as soon as I started CPAP. As a matter of fact, I had a short stay in ICU after I had been diagnosed with apnea but didn't have my CPAP yet and the RN came around the corner just as I was drifting off to sleep wanting to know what was wrong. My heart rate went up, my oxygen level dropped and I was hot as fire! She asked if I had apnea and the sleep lab brought in a CPAP. I slept like a baby.

The other thing I would like to address is your possible seizure. I have a seizure disorder that is controlled with medication. I would suggest you see a neurologist to have proper testing. If you are having TIA's (warning signs) , you need to know now before it happens while you are driving down the road. I didn't have my first one until I was 35 so it can strike at any age. I wish you the best!
auntnene

Re: Wake up sweating

Postby hhopper » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:51 pm

stiffkittens wrote:Does anybody wake up sweating, particularly behind the head? I wake up sometimes with the back of head soaked. More towards the base of the head. I also feel like I might of had mini-seisures sometimes. I wake up and have kind of twitch in my head, like it's clicking a bit. I don't know. Anybodyhave any ideas to what could be happening.

I can identify with menopausal women (I'm a male.) I'm being treated for prostate cancer with testosterone suppressing drugs. A side-effect of this is hot flashes. The sweating you describe is exactly what happens when I have a hot flash. I even have little battery-powered fans around the house to do a quick cool-off when the hot flashes occur.

I used to have them during the night but they stopped completely (at night) when I started cpap.

(Also, I'm doing OK. My PSA has been 0 since I've been on the hormone treatment.)

Acronyms and Often Used Forum Phrases
Respironics? M-Series Auto w/ HH & C-Flex; Flexfit? Hybrid? Mask, Encore Pro 1.8i
hhopper

Postby ArthurAnxious » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:47 pm

I started finding the back of my neck soaked in sweat about 15 years ago, I had suffered severe neck injuries the previous year in a car accident and kept on asking the many neurologists, orthopedists and other docs if this was the cause. Most of them said it didn't seem likely, one or two said "Perhaps." This summer I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and put on CPAP, and since I started CPAP it is gone. WOW! No more throwing PJs into the laundry hamper every morning, isn't that nice? In fact, now I have started throwing them away because the old ones got stained after a couple of months, buying all new.
Arthur
Sleeping with a curvaceous blonde autoPAP (Resmed autoset). Hope springs eternal.....
ArthurAnxious

Night Sweats

Postby Bill W. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Yess, I've had night sweats after feeling roasting hot all over my body. My entire pajamas were soaked. I believe that it's due to lack of Oxygen and build up of carbon dioxide when I stop breathing during sleep. I solved it by not sleeping on my back. I tied a dog's toy to the back of my pajamas and positioned it in the small of my back so it's impossible for me to lie on my back and feel comfortable. When I lie on either side = NO SLEEP APNEA, NO SWEATS, HOT FEELING, NIGHTMARES, OR WAKING UP. SUCH A RELIEF. That advice came from a person with a sleep apnea history who eventually had to be operated on to get relief.
Bill W.

Postby Keefer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:37 pm

No more night sweats for me after starting CPAP. One of the many benefits.
Respironics REMstar | pro 2 with C-Flex and heated humidifier
ResMed Mirage Swift Nase Pillows System
Pressure at 8
On CPAP since April 2006
Keefer

Postby TJE1955 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:49 pm

My wife used to complain that I was always sweating at night...hoping my cpap helps that too.
Remstar Plus w/Heated Humidifier
Hybrid Mask (Took delivery 12-20-06)
Assume Upgraded Headgear (Looks good to me)
Currently set @ 10
Diagnosed 10-25-04, Stopped early 2005, Restarted
After finding this website 12-06
TJE1955

Postby churchmt » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:00 am

Even with a cpap I can soak a pillow nightly. Before Cpap I could soak a whole half of the bed. Sweat more in bed then I did in the gym. :oops:
churchmt

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:33 pm

i woke up the other night and i was sweating and i was paralized and i had thios horrible feeling that someone was in the room and my eyes were twiching ....i finaLY FELL ASLEEP AND IT WASNT A DREAM I DONT THINK :?:

Postby melhajj » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:44 pm

i believe that due to the lack of oxygen not only our brain cells start fighting to catch some air, but our whole body; probably the brain cells die first due to the proximity of the airways and head;it sounds possible that our heads sweat because you are creating an inner resistance for this cells to catch oxygen, it is an inner fight; let's just put for example that somebody is trying to suffocate us, what would it happen? we start moving our heads and necks and our whole body to fight against that aggresive factor; imagine how many times we do suffer apneas or hypopaneas each night; this is like a battle field at night, and that could explain also why a high blood pressure comes along the way with sleep apnea, because this fighting, this aggresssion or stress raise our blood pressure, sure, it is a threatening feeling what is happening to us at night, the only good thing about it is that we are not really aware of that constant stresss that is imposed into our bodies. :shock:
melhajj

Postby ElleMarie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am

I used to sweat too and when i first started cpap it got a bit better. When they did a repeat study and upped my pressure my night sweats are a thing of the past!! Hallelujah!! It is nice to have this gone.
~ElleMarie~ One day at a time......are you kidding me?.....sometimes it's just one minute at a time.

Jun 2007 AHI 100.7 started cpap at 9** Oct 2007-11** April 2009 Bipap-15/10
Respironics auto M w/ Swift LT for her OR Opus 360 nasal pillows
ElleMarie

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:i woke up the other night and i was sweating and i was paralized and i had thios horrible feeling that someone was in the room and my eyes were twiching ....i finaLY FELL ASLEEP AND IT WASNT A DREAM I DONT THINK :?:

That's sounds like something called nocturnal assault. I've experienced it twice... scares the holy !@#! out of ya. Can't move, can't speak... but you still can think... The first time I woke up just paralyzed for about a minute .. the second time I was falling asleep and became paralyzed with the 'feeling of a presence' near me before I totally fell asleep. It's pretty freaky thing to experience, but just wait it out and you should come back to normal.

I used to sweat at night ...

Postby HeirloomGardener » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 pm

At my sleep study (a split-night study), the sleep tech had to turn on a fan in my room because I was sweating so much. The sweat on the back of my head was interfering with the readings from the electrodes. After I got the CPAP mask, I didn't sweat at all after that. I haven't been sweating since I started CPAP at home, either. =D>
Respironics Auto M Series, Pressure: 12 cm
Fisher & Paykel Opus 360 Nasal Pillows
My Sleep Blog
HeirloomGardener

Next

• Site Supporter