• Site Supporter

Cost of sleep study?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Cost of sleep study?

Postby Fred203L » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:53 am

I do not have medical insurance. What should I expect to pay out of pocket for an apnea overnight sleep study?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred203L

Postby Snuffleupagus » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:08 am

I just had mine done about a month ago and the price billed was $3500. I would think the sleep center should be able to give you a close approximate if you ask.
Snuffleupagus

Postby DrJayII2 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:02 pm

I'd think you might be able to get cash price of $2000.

Crazy they bill that much for a sleep study.

You could get an auto-titrating APAP for less than the study and the machine will auto-adjust if it's a respiratory problem.

it wouldnt check for restless leg or periodic lymbs or mickey mouse brainwaves.
DrJayII2

WOW!

Postby TedG954 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:10 pm

I knew South Florida was expensive but..... my sleep study cost more than $5,600!
As a Christian, you may be the only bible someone ever reads.
TedG954

Postby DrJayII2 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:20 pm

Blue Cross charged my sleep lab $1825.00.

I'd have serious issues with a sleep lab charging more than $500 more than they usually get from an insurance company.

You know they will try to screw you...but I wouldnt let them screw you for more than $500 or so.

It probably depends if your sleep lab is officially accreddited too.

I think my sleep lab was kinda dumpy........but it served its purpose and got me the machine.

Even at a non par-excellance sleep lab they can identify if your having apnea and hypopnea events....then its just dealing with the CPAP etc.

The sleep study is just step 1....maybe even 1/2. lol
DrJayII2

Postby TedG954 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:32 pm

Mine took place in an actual hospital, if that makes any difference.
As a Christian, you may be the only bible someone ever reads.
TedG954

Postby DrJayII2 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:52 pm

I should also say it was $1850 for the 1st sleep study to diagnose apnea/hypopnea.

Then it was $1875 for a 2nd sleep study to determine titration pressure.

If I was paying cash I'd really hardball them to attempt a split night study to do both at the same time.

Or, I would attempt to get them to do a "baseline" titration to give you a "ballpark" then get your doctor to give you an APAP (Auto-Titration CPAP) and that can work to figure out the exact pressure.

I'm not sure if it will work, but if your paying CASH, dont forget your in the drivers seat. The sleep lab may be "accomidating" in attempting to deviate from the standard insurance policy requirements to get you what you need as cost effectively as possible....because in the end...it still means about $2500 for split sleep study and maybe $1500 for APAP machine if you buy thru them.

Or you could buy CPAP or APAP online....not sure if I recommend that though.
DrJayII2

Postby Bearded One » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 pm

Or you could buy CPAP or APAP online....not sure if I recommend that though.

You still need a prescription to buy it online (unless you buy it used). There is nothing wrong with buying a CPAP online.
Bearded One

Postby DrDan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:34 pm

The way you absolutely get HOSED (har, har) is if you don't have insurance! Most medical facilities participate in various insurance plans, under which they are limited in how much they can charge. That isn't the case if you're uninsured--you could wind up paying double or triple the insured fee.

The best advice I can give you is that the price is negotiable, but it's much easier to do it IN ADVANCE! You could probably ask a friend with insurance to find out how much he or she would pay for a sleep study, then negotiate for the same fee.
Machines are taking over the world.
DrDan

Postby RPSGT88 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:13 am

Dear Fred203L,

You're most likely in a different state but I'll say this about non-insured patients...They deserve the same care as people who have insurance. My lab understands this. For self-pay patients, we currently charge $850 for an attended polysomnogram and try to make it a split night so the patient with obstructive sleep apnea does not have to come back for a 2nd study. That's for an AASM accredited Sleep Disorders Center with nine Registered Polysomnographic Technologists and two Registered Electroencephalographic Technologists. AASM accreditation "highly suggests" that every Sleep Disorders Center have at least one "Registered Polysomnographic Technologist." Not only do we have nine of those, we also have two R.EEG T. certified Technologists who are experts in the study of neurological disorders. Needless to say most of our tech staff have college degrees. AASM accreditation also requires at least 10 hours of continuing education per tech per year. We give our entire staff up to 40 hours of sleep medicine continuing education per tech per year at state and national conferences. Our consulting/interpreting physician is an MD PhD Neurologist with a subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology as well as being an ABSM Diplomate.

I mention the above qualifications because the topic was mentioned as part of this thread. Self pay patients should not have to be satisfied with a lower standard of care or pay high cash prices.

We also work with the self-pay pt. so they can purchase CPAP equipment over the internet. We have even provided free CPAP and Bilevel machines to destitute patients.

We do not operate a DME nor have financial or even familial ties to one. This proves we have no financial interest in placing patients on CPAP.

My advice is to do a good, local search and ask questions before settling on a lab. Good, ethical ones are out there.
RPSGT88
RPSGT88

Postby Frances » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:37 pm

Would you-all be interested in knowing that the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) pays $340 a night for a sleep study? And there is no co-pay or extra billing. I'm not sure how they cover their costs for that. But my husband had 2 studies and was satisfied with the experience. I have had one and was not.

Also the Ontario Assistive Devices Programme pays a subsidy of about $780 for the CPAP machine once every 5 years but nothing for the mask or hose. Extended Health Care insurance, if you have it (this is private insurance), may pay something for the mask, etc.
Frances

• Site Supporter