Using CPAP with sinus infection

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Using CPAP with sinus infection

Postby newcpapuser » Wed May 16, 2007 5:06 pm

I was recently diagnosed with OSA and started CPAP therapy about 6 weeks ago. I could tell a difference with the CPAP therapy from the start - felt much less tired during the day. I have allergies leading to sinus problems (especially this time of year with a very high pollen count) and have developed a sinus infection twice during this time frame. The CPAP manual says to discontinue use when you have a sinus infection. I did so the first time and resumed therapy after about a week. I got another infection about a week ago and discontinued therapy. This one has hung on longer and needed antibiotics to clear it up, which I started yesterday. There were no guidelines in the manual on when it would be OK to start CPAP therapy again. I can really tell a difference in my energy level when I'm not using it, which in addition to being tired from the infection, is affecting my ability to get much done. Any suggestions on when it would be OK to start CPAP again?
newcpapuser

Postby lynn543 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:24 pm

I would say sooner rather than later
best treatment for sinus problems is nasal or sinus irrigation, details on how to do it on the net

its possible to use a mouth only CPAP mask with a noseclip
lynn543

Postby minnipackfan » Fri May 18, 2007 5:02 am

Sinus problems were one thing I was concerned about, and my MD told me that using the maks can exacerbate the problems... he gave me a Rx for flonase.... I also use the Sinucleanse Neti Pot system http://www.sinucleanse.com/ even though it sounds gross, it actually works amazing... you can get it at your local Walgreens
minnipackfan

Postby lynn321 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:44 pm

its a type of netti pot
I used 1 for several years, very helpful for cronic mucus, ironically this was before my apnea was diagnosed
eventually it broke when I dropped it and I now use an ordinary coffee pot which works as well
lynn321

Postby newcpapuser » Fri May 25, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I've had chronic sinus problems too and haven't used the netti pot yet. My ENT had recommended sinus irrigation using a mixture of water, salt and baking soda and using a nasal aspirator. I've been doing that faithfully for over a year now and it really has helped, but sometimes I get an infection anyway, especially this time of year. I live in Atlanta and the pollen is really bad in the spring. Does the netti pot work better than the aspirator?
newcpapuser

Postby octogirl » Fri May 25, 2007 2:58 pm

I have a full-face mask, and continued to use it while I had a sinus infection early this last spring. I cranked the heated humidifier, normally on 3, up to the maximum 5. I seemed to be sick a shorter time than usual (I get sinus infections about twice a year; this was my first with CPAP) and my symptoms were milder. I should also mention I use a HydroPulse sinus irrigator on a regular basis.

So ... I'm curious if anyone out there knows why it's advised not to use CPAP during a sinus infection?

Thanks!
octogirl

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions