• Site Supporter

Surgical modalities for Obstructive Sleep Apnea

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Surgical modalities for Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Postby Vicki » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:57 am

To be a strong and educated advocate for yourself and your health, here are some objective peer reviewed medical journals:

Be aware that UPPP surgery has two classification rates “success” and “cure”. That is because a UPPP “success” is considered a 50% reduction in AHI, which is why UPPP alone (rather than the multiphasic approach pioneered by Stanford) works best in cases of mild apnea.

This is a free article updated in 2010 from 1996 guidelines:
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine practice parameters for OSA surgery
Practice parameters for the surgical modifications of the upper airway for obstructive sleep apnea in adults.

And from Stanford, the gold standard in sleep apnea surgery. This is also from 2010 which is the most current review:
Surgical options for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
This full-length article is not free. You can either get it from the publisher for $25-$35 (see the link to the right of the title).

Or, you can do what I did and set up a LoneSomeDoc account. It is easy and fast.
LoneSomeDoc If you set up an account with them, you can get articles from between $6-$15. I went for $6 with a public access. You can choose any U.S. library in the list.

The articles from above came from a search of PubMed where all peer reviewed medical articles published in the world are archive PubMed

Be an educated patient about ALL of your options, success rates, potential positive and negative outcomes, etc.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

PostThis post was deleted by Vicki on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 pm.
Reason: Links to external blogs are not allowed at this site

Re: Surgical modalities for Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Postby Dude » Wed May 02, 2012 10:08 am

With the benefit of hindsight I would not have had my UP3 surgery because it has destroyed the seal in the back of my mouth so now the air from the CPAP goes in my nose and out my mouth.

I've tried all kinds of strapping strategies to keep my mouth and lips closed but nothing works.

I had a dental appliance made and at first it worked better but within a few months it grew less effective.

Now I'm trying an autotitrating CPAP and a hybrid mask but it isn't working either. I will take the read out from the machine to the doctor at the end of the month to see if a sleep study is warranted.

My insurance excludes all jaw surgeries for any reason so at this point an MMA surgery is out of the question.
Dude

Re: Surgical modalities for Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Postby Dude » Thu May 03, 2012 5:01 pm

I just saw this in the paper. I wish I had known about it earlier so that I could have applied to be in the study.

[Commercial links deleted. Please review posting guidelines}
Dude

• Site Supporter