• Site Supporter

Traveling with CPAP

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Traveling with CPAP

Postby mnjewel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:27 pm

I traveled to Mexico last year with my CPAP, and could not find distilled water for it. When I asked the pharmacist in Nuevo Puerto Vallarta where to find it, I was told they did not carry it and the only place was to go about 2 hours away. I ended up using bottled water for 2 weeks, without any apparent problems. This year we are going for 4 weeks, and am wondering what the consensus would be as to if I should bother with it or not. I hate to "gum" up the insides of my machine...I did have to purchase a new resevouir after returning, as it had a white film on the bottom of the humidifier. What do you think, leave the CPAP at home, or use bottled water and get a new resevouir when I return?

Thanks
ResMed Elite S9 APAP
H5I humidifier
ResMed Quattro FX face mask after trying Swift for her nasal pillows
mnjewel

Re: Traveling with CPAP

Postby Daniel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm

mnjewel wrote:I traveled to Mexico last year with my CPAP, and could not find distilled water for it. When I asked the pharmacist in Nuevo Puerto Vallarta where to find it, I was told they did not carry it and the only place was to go about 2 hours away. I ended up using bottled water for 2 weeks, without any apparent problems. This year we are going for 4 weeks, and am wondering what the consensus would be as to if I should bother with it or not. I hate to "gum" up the insides of my machine...I did have to purchase a new resevouir after returning, as it had a white film on the bottom of the humidifier. What do you think, leave the CPAP at home, or use bottled water and get a new resevouir when I return?

Thanks

DON'T leave the cpap at home.
I don't see a problem in using tap water/bottled water for a few weeks.....just make sure to scrub out the resevoir (daily).

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby truckerdad57 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Ditto what Daniel posted.

You can clean the white film out if you want to with some vinegar. It's just mineral deposits from the water.
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Postby Vicki » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 pm

mnjewel,

I hope you saved your old reservouir. Like truckerdad said, it is just mineral deposits which will dissolve if you soak it in vinegar for a little bit. Then rinse it out really well with water. Don't leave your PAP at home, you would be having apneas the whole time and that would just leave you feeling awful for 4 weeks. If the mineral deposit buildup gets to be too much, maybe it wouldn't be as hard to find vinegar to clean it out with.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby glennaa11 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 pm

try to get water that's not "mineral water" and that should help. I have traveled all around Asia with my machine and never have used distilled water when traveling, just bottled water. Emptying the reservoir every day will help. Just a quick rinse with some hot water is usually all you need to do, if that much. Enjoy your trip.
glennaa11

• Site Supporter