Power set-ups for camping with a CPAP?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

• Site Supporter

Power set-ups for camping with a CPAP?

Postby Fort Knox » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi all,

I may have asked this question originally on the wrong forum, so I thought I'd post it here as well.....

Recently diagnosed. Been using my ResMed S9 Escape Auto with H5i humidifier now for 3 nights. So far, my measured AHI has gone WAY down, and I do feel more rested, but I'm still getting used to trying to sleep with a mask on, as I'm sure many of you have experienced.

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I enjoy going camping several times per year, and there isn't always an electrical hook-up available. I've done some searching, but haven't seen any specific set-ups that folks are using. I've seen several people say there are battery set-ups available, and they ask people to PM them for details of what they use, but I think it'd be nice to have a thread where people just post what is working for them. For those of you who have a set-up that works for when there isn't an easy-to-access source for 110v plug-in, what do you use?
Fort Knox

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask: Mirage Quattro FX
Humidifier: H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: Power set-ups for camping with a CPAP?

Postby robysue » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:04 pm

My camping set up is:

A Philips Respironics 12 Volt DC Power Cord (to connect my PR System One BiPAP to cigarette lighter socket or other 12 Volt DC outlets) and a DieHard Platinum Portable Power source and jump starter that has two 12-volt outlets, plus an inverter and two 120-volt outlets. The DieHard contraption is nothing more than a decent quality Sears DieHard car battery in a special housing. The whole thing plugs into a 120-volt outlet for charging.

It's way too heavy for backpacking (obviously), but works well for car camping---i.e. camping where you're only bring the supplies a couple hundred yards from the car.

I was pleased that I had no trouble powering both my blower and my humidifier for three full nights between charges earlier this summer. And I think I could have gotten a forth night out of it even with the humidifier.

As for charging the battery, hubby and I simply drove it to the ranger/check-in station, explained what it was for, and ask if it was all right to plug it in there for the day while we went about our fun for the dat. They had no problems with honoring our request.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby Fort Knox » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks so much for the info! Glad to hear that one of the portable power boxes has enough juice to not only last through the night with the humidifier attached, but to last through a weekend camping trip.
Fort Knox

Postby Fort Knox » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:38 am

Actually, I meant to ask....if you have the power init that has 120-volt outlets, why do you need the 12-volt power cord for your CPAP? Can't you just plug into the 120-volt outlet with your regular power cord, or does it use more juice that way?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Fort Knox

Postby truckerdad57 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:41 pm

I work with truck drivers using CPAP in sleeper berth equipped semi-trucks all the time. A power supply for YOUR situation depends on make and model of PAP, pressure settings, how much humidification you use, and how often you can charge batteries.

The ResMed S-9 and Respironics System One both have 12-V power supply options. You can also run just about any CPAP on a 12-V invertor from battery. Whether your CPAP will use more battery on an invertor or on the 12-V power supply is complicated and depends on the effeciency of the invertor and the resistance (size of the power cables) from the battery to the invertor.

There are special lithium ion battery packs designed for powering PAP but right now they don't have enough capacity to run a PAP with heated humidification for a full night.

Last option - google Transcend - It's a new small portable PAP with a tiny battery back. It uses a special no heat humidification system. With it's power pack you can get three nights of use with one charge. They offer 110,12 and a solar panel charging options. Checking into one of those for camping or back up power failure use might be a smart option.
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Postby jscholz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

This is what I have been using for traveling, backpacking and car camping. I get 4 to 5 nights per charge. I bought it at [Moderated. Commercial Link Deleted. Please refer to posting guidelines] and I've been very pleased with how well it has worked in a variety of conditions.

Compact Portable 12V Super CPAP Battery Pack - 266 watt-hr
Part Id: OW-12-C266

Good luck with whatever you find.
jscholz

Postby CpapSux » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Timing is everything! I beleive I have a possible solution for you. Although I don't camp (my version of camping is a 3 star hotel without a hair dryer), I do enjoy my boating (Four Winns 278 Vista). Anyways, I got my first cpap this summer, however the weekends were tough. There was no way I was disasembling my machine and modem to take on the boat. (need room for the Skinny Girl Margarita). Was at a meet and greet dock party and met someone with a tiny battery operated cpap. Was the size of my large Dunkin Donuts coffee cup. Wished my DME gave me this. So I went online and found hundreds of sites that sell it. Search "Transcend" cpap and you'll find it. Looks like all the sites are selling at same price ($450). Never bought online, but most of the sites seem trustworthy. Not getting one this year, boating almost over with, but I would consider one next summer. Hope this helps. Oh yea, it also runs on solar battery. If you get one, let me know how it works out..........................back to the convention.
CpapSux

Machine: Philips Auto
Mask: Swift for Her
Humidifier: Philips

Postby dcgjones » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:58 pm

yes, transcend seems to be hot item right now with solar powered
dcgjones

Postby robysue » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Fort Knox wrote:Actually, I meant to ask....if you have the power init that has 120-volt outlets, why do you need the 12-volt power cord for your CPAP? Can't you just plug into the 120-volt outlet with your regular power cord, or does it use more juice that way?

It's not so much that the CPAP's power needs are the problem; it's that a significant amount of the charge is used up by the built-in inverter to convert that 12v DC current into 110v AC current. If you read the owner's manual for the battery it has a number of tables with estimated battery life under various circumstances. There are a few comparisons between running similar objects directly off DC plugs vs running it off the converted AC plugs.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby truckerdad57 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 am

Robysue... power invertor effeciency is also related to how close to the max output of the inverter you are drawing.

A good general rule for running a PAP on an invertor is to oversize the inverer so it's not running at max capacity. (you need 185 watts tu run the PAP use a 400 watt invertor) You also need to be sure your cables from battery to invertor are large enough. Trying running a PAP on invertor that is undersized and on light duty wiring and the heat pulls too much battery.

You set up a proper sized invertor with good heavy duty cables with a low voltage cut out and direct wire to battery you can actually run a PAP on less battery drain through a good invertor than directly on a 12-V power supply through a cigar plug outlet.

I work with truck drivers using PAP in sem-trucks all the time. I've been playing with PAP and power supplies for about 10 years now. I've gotten all of the major brands to give me a PAP to test and work out power supply issues for them so .....
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions