apneas

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

apneas

Postby janel cole » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 pm

I have recently been diagosed with sleep apnea and started wearing the mask 2 nights ago. So, you are going to be hearing alot from me. My question is..... my sleep dr. said that i stop breathing 9 times a minute. How many time does a "normal person" breath a minute?

Thanks
janel cole

Re: apneas

Postby Bons » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Normal is about 15-20 at rest, slows down somewhat in most people when asleep. But normal is best determined on what is normal for the individual person (my awake breathrate, for example, is 8-10 breaths per minute, and trying to breathe faster than that - like when my ASV was programmed to 12bpm - causes me to hyperventilate.

Are you certain he said you have 9 apnea events per MINUTE, or per hour? AHI is usually calculated on an hourly basis.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby CraigB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Yeah, I'd have to question that number. To count as an "episode", you need to have stopped breathing for at least 10 seconds. If it was nine times a minute, you would have stopped breathing for a total of 90 seconds...more than the total number of seconds in the minute. Plus, nine times a minute would equal 540 an hour. That would make an AHI of 540!
Resmed S9 Elite
H5i Humidifier
Swift FX Nasal pillows
CraigB

Postby janel cole » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:55 am

ok, I guess I must have understood.. 9 times an hrs sounds alot better. Thanks Like I said Im new to this whole thing.
janel cole

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!