• Site Supporter

Pulmonary Hypertension/deviated septum

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Pulmonary Hypertension/deviated septum

Postby earlsnores » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I have had severe SA for several years, I've been told that it can cause pulmonary hypertension because of the way it puts stress on the pulmonary artery when apnea s occur , has anyone else heard this and/or diagnosed w/ this?
I also have a deviated septum from many broken nose injuries. I had it checked out and the Dr. wasn't concerned, but thinking about getting a second opinion. It causes me to breathe from my mouth. I think it might worsen my SA.
Any input is appreciated.
Aloha, Earl
earlsnores

Machine: Bipap
Mask: full face
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Re: Pulmonary Hypertension/deviated septum

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:46 pm

I can't answer your question about PH and OSA. I have COPD and know that COPD can cause secondary PH so it wouldn't surprise me if long-term UNTREATED OSA couldn't also be a contributing factor to secondary PH.

However, if you are sleeping well w/a full face mask it doesn't matter if you mouth breathe or nose breathe. That is the idea behind using a full face mask. I have to use a full face mask because I need a high emough pressure that some air manages to escape thru my lips in a manner I call "the lip flutters". Not the same as actually mouth breathing.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i

Re: Pulmonary Hypertension/deviated septum

Postby skeeter_ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi Earl,
I have secondary pulmonary hypertension related to OSA. I am just now exploring if my deviated septum is causing all this. I have found online and thing called 'snore pin' that I wear during the day to open my nasal passages more and I do feel better. I can't wear it when I sleep because of my mask. I have had an ENT tell me that he could fix my nose and I would no longer need the machine. I would love to get off the machine! I've been on it since 2006
Sorry for the late reply but I just joined this forum....
Skeeter
skeeter_

Machine: Resmed Bipap
Mask: Sleepweaver
Humidifier: yes

• Site Supporter