I'm a side and back sleeper

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

I'm a side and back sleeper

Postby Linda Sue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 pm

I am new to using a cpap machine and I am finding it quite aggravating. The first week went surprisingly well, but now my mask (Quattro FX) is giving me all these air leaks and my headaches have become monsterous. I try to tighten the mask, but that makes it even more annoying because it is squeezing my cheeks, but it's the only thing that will stop the leaks. I have gotten to the point where halfway through the night I have to take it off because I can't get the leaks to stop and my head is hurting too badly to keep fighting with the mask. I tried to talk to my DME provider and they kept acting like something I was doing was the problem, but I do everything they tell me. I try to keep the mask loose at first but once the air leaks are never ending I have to tighten the mask. I pull my hair up, and I rinse my mask in warm soapy water everyday (as advised) I hope that just changing my mask will help.

I was reading through the forums and I saw that the Breeze was good for side sleeping, but what about back sleeping? The back headpiece looks like it could be painful if you tried to sleep on your back. Is there a mask that is good for side and back sleeping?

Thanks for whatever guidence you can give me!
Linda Sue

Machine: Not sure
Mask: Quatro Full Face
Humidifier: built in
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: I'm a side and back sleeper

Postby Janknitz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 pm

The Quattro FX has an AIR cushion. To seal properly, that air cushion must be fully inflated. The more you tighten it down to stop leaks, the worse the leaks get. It's a natural response to tighten the mask when leaking, but it doesn't work. Instead, try the following:

1. Loosen all the straps and lay down in your bed to adjust them. If you have a mask fit feature use it, or try to make sure your machine is at its highest set pressure when you adjust your mask (turn off ramp if you are using it).
2. TURN on the machine so the air fills the mask cushions, do the "swing" to position the mask on your face (if you don't know what I'm talking about, go to the ResMed Site and look for videos which tell you how to fit the mask).
3. Use your non-dominant hand to GENTLY hold the mask in place while you hook and tighten the lower straps with your other hand, just enough to stop any leaks. Don't mash it down hard, the cushions must remain inflated.
4. Tighten the upper straps as little as possible to maintain a seal. The most important thing is to allow the cushion to fully inflate around your nose--that will prevent soreness and give you the best seal. Now turn to your side and adjust the mask if necessary to maintain the seal.

You might try a mask liner (Remzzz's or Padacheek or a homemade version) to help get a better seal and I also use an "anti-leak" strap made by Padacheek.

If these suggestions don't work, you have to be firm with the DME that they need to help you find another mask. You have 30 days to return the one you have--don't let them string you out until it's too late to switch.
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

Re: I'm a side and back sleeper

Postby Linda Sue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Thank you very much for your advice! That was exactly what I needed to know! :)
Linda Sue

Machine: Not sure
Mask: Quatro Full Face
Humidifier: built in
Year Diagnosed: 2011

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions