• Site Supporter

Husband with central sleep apnea

This section is for spouses of Apnea Patients to provide mutual support.

Husband with central sleep apnea

Postby SAD » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi.

My husband, age 61, was diagnosed with severe central sleep apnea (plus some obstructive) a year ago--over 70 apneas/hour-- & has had 2 overnight studies since to check how various masks & machines are helping. He uses his latest mask/machine combo nightly,usually keeping it on about 6 hours, but often still cannot wake up to get going, sometimes sleeping 14-18 hours a day, even taking Provigil. Obviously he's not working --I am--but he 's hardly living either. I'm worried and at a loss for how to help, or even cope myself--any ideas?

Concerned Wife
SAD

Re: Husband with central sleep apnea

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Which machine is he now using? AN ASV? His sleep times are the same as what mine were. My husband use to wake me enough before he left for work to get me to take a Provigil. I do not have CSA however, I have a rare form of Narcolepsy along with OSA, Parasomnias, Automatic Behavior, Sleep Drunkenness, Myoclonic jerks.

Does he have any other known health issues? How is his B12 levels? Do you feel there is any depression adding to this?......very easy to be depressed about life at this age, unable to do much, feeling less of a man...shoot hard at any age when you just don't have the energy to roll over let alone get up and get going. How is his caffeine intake, alcohol, BP etc. SO many things can add to all this.
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby SAD » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Thank you for your ideas, Mrs.RSV.

Yes, my husband is using an ASV, and yes he is being treated for multiple health issues (allergies, migraines for 30 years, ultra-low testosterone for 10 years, anti- depressants for 20years, and now prostate cancer too--though PSA is only a little elevated & doc says wait & watch). He also developed weird, dramatic arm movements in his sleep for a few months that I noticed, which prompted my watching his breathing & led to the apnea diagnosis, but those are rare now.

You didn't mention how you are coping with your multiple conditions now, and whether you're having more awake & productive hours. When I look at all of my husband's issues I know I should feel more empathy, but honestly I'm just scared and discouraged and even angry that he seems to be giving up & that I'm living with an invalid.

Your Q's did inspire me to write to both his sleep doc & endocrinologist, since he doesn't want me to go to appointments with him. I'd welcome any other advice you or other members have.

Is there any other help, support, or push a
SAD

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Well, I would insist that I go to the appointments...convince him that the unwritten vows say you are a team. If it is for better or for worse....you need to do everything in your power to make it better. I did not mention above that I have many other conditions....some have been dx'd to just give me a dx....but I also have MS and a bony tumor thing going on in my spine that typically is int he long bones of people...and not much of an issue. So I have run the gamut of tests etc.

Coping? We are stronger than what we know.....

Your husband 'could' be experiencing Alpha intrusions...basically in lay man....this is when pain gets in he way of true sleep...combine that with his other issues...it is a recipe for fatigue. I have found that the more I PUSH myself t move, the more I insist of doing thins of great interest...the better I feel. Along with the issues, not being productive, not moving the body adds to the fatigue. I have to WHEEEELY WHEEEELY push myself on not just a daily basis...but minute by minute.

Make sure his ASV is doing the job, make sure he has a very low leak rate with his mask. Read the data from his machine...and read up on every condition he has. You may be able o put 2 and 2 together and find a solution.

Main thing....keep loving that man!
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby SAD » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you, again. I will follow your advice.
SAD

PostThis post was deleted by Daniel on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:20 pm.
Reason: Irrelevant Post

• Site Supporter