CPAP - Sinus Pain ??

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

CPAP - Sinus Pain ??

Postby Young Aussie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am

Hey All

Just have a question in relation to my situation, I am about 2 months in on starting treatment with my CPAP machine, I am a nose breather and have two masks that seem to be the best from what I have tried, BUT I seem to be having sinus pains a lot lately - just under the eyes under the bones that are there on each side? I don't have a runny nose or congestion at all really just a sort of pressure pain that is there on and off all day.

I have a humidifier with my S9 Resmed machine and am using the comfort hose as it is winter here - the machine is set to full auto humidifier also set to auto.

I did have a sinus infect a month or so ago which cleared up after a but, prior to this I have never had any sinus problems ever ? Just seems that maybe the CPAP machine is doing something to them maybe ?

Have tried sinus rinses and they might make it a little bit better? Maybe I have not tried them consistently to really know for sure - should I keep doing the nasal rinses twice a day maybe ?

Any help massively appreciated !!
Young Aussie

Re: CPAP - Sinus Pain ??

Postby msminnamouse » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:39 pm

You may need to just give it more time. It takes time to get used to having all that air blowing directly on the back of your nose. I imagine a callous or something may even result. I used to have the same problem but now I never have it anymore after using the CPAP for months and keeping the hose warm, which I don't even have to do anymore.

I'm not sure what a comfort hose is. If it's something that insulates the hose and keeps the air and moisture warm, then I have no advice for you. If not, then try putting the hose under the covers with you to warm it and you may find the pain diminished.

I'm also not sure what set to full auto is. Can you manually set it to the highest humidity so it remains at the highest humidity?
RESPIRONICS REMstar Pro C-Flex
msminnamouse

Postby Young Aussie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for the reply, I read about some product that you put a couple of drop up your nose and it is supposed to keep your sinuses hydrated ? Anyway the comfort hose is the heated hose and the machine is set to auto for the level of humidity that is thinks I need - I have no ideas so just set it on auto and let the machine decide !

Anyone else have the same issues and care to share what helped you ?
Cheers
Young Aussie

Postby SleepyToo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 am

Try turning the humidity down a little at a time. Not familiar with the Resmed S9, but I have seen several people on the forum have problems with humidity that is too high or too low. The challenge is finding the level that is just right for you. The RT cannot know the answer to that. I have not used my humidifier for some time, after I realized that my AHI was coming down when I stopped using it. If I am congested I will use some humidification, but normally just the air flow is enough to have me breathing properly within a few breaths.

Try a little Ayr gel in your nose - it will last a little longer than the liquid, and will help the adjustment period. Do keep up the sinus rinses for a little while - maybe another couple of weeks. However, if the pain is not better by then, or it gets worse, give your doc a call.
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Diagnosed September 2009, Respironics System One w/ C-flex and humidifier
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes, integral with PRS1
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby msminnamouse » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:46 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about stuff you can put in your nose. I think you can use Vaseline too, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not a big fan of sinus rinsing but to each their own.
RESPIRONICS REMstar Pro C-Flex
msminnamouse

• Site Supporter