• Site Supporter

titration

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

titration

Postby natty1967 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

I use cpap every night and just had a oxygen test done where they said it was below 88% for 13 minutes and wants me to do a titration for 2 weeks at home...what exactly is going to happen here? Will I be able to take my sleeping pill during this time? Is this done with a different machine than my cpap?
natty1967

Re: titration

Postby greatunclebill » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 pm

natty1967 wrote:I use cpap every night and just had a oxygen test done where they said it was below 88% for 13 minutes and wants me to do a titration for 2 weeks at home...what exactly is going to happen here? Will I be able to take my sleeping pill during this time? Is this done with a different machine than my cpap?

all excellent questions for the doctor that is ordering it. nobody here will know exactly what is being planned and what the rules will be.
greatunclebill

Machine: RP sys one auto w/a-flex model 550P
Mask: quattro fx full face
Humidifier: yes sys one
Year Diagnosed: 1990

Re: titration

Postby robysue » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:06 am

natty1967 wrote:I use cpap every night and just had a oxygen test done where they said it was below 88% for 13 minutes and wants me to do a titration for 2 weeks at home...what exactly is going to happen here? Will I be able to take my sleeping pill during this time? Is this done with a different machine than my cpap?

Chances are the doctor will want you to use a APAP (Auto adjusting Positive Air Pressure machine) instead of your CPAP for the two week titration. Chances are he will ask your DME to provide you with a short term APAP that records full efficacy data to find out what's going on when you are asleep in your own bed every night. At the end of the two week period, the data will be down loaded. Hopefully the doc will look at both the AHI data and the pressure data. If there's nothing really odd or unusual in your data, the doc will most likely then have the DME adjust the pressure setting on your current CPAP to the 90% or 95% pressure setting from the home titration.

As for taking your sleeping pill, chances are it will be ok to take it since the idea is to find out what's going on in your normal night-to-night sleep. But you should check with the doctor before you start the two week titration.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!