Throat noises

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Throat noises

Postby SnoozeHunter » Sun May 07, 2006 11:50 pm

Forgive me if I've asked this before. I know I meant to but couldn't find a post on it.

Does anyone know what causes this:

I don't snore and I am not a mouth breather. I don't open my mouth when I'm asleep.

But sometimes when I'm sleeping my daughter says I make two different kinds of weird noises in my throat when I exhale. Some are like a short hum, some are similar to a snore but not exactly like a snore. She says it's difficult to describe the sound. My mouth is closed the whole time.

Since I'm asleep, I don't know exactly what they sound like, but sometimes I'm aware of them as I'm falling asleep, and sometimes they wake me. It does feel like my voice is trying to make sounds.

It has been noticed by my family when I've fallen asleep on the sofa while watching tv without my bipap. I have experienced also while sleeping with the bipap. It wasn't mentioned on any of my sleep studies so I must not have done it on those nights.

Oh...and even though it's exhalation and not inhalation, I sense that something is 'wrong' with my breathing at those times. I think that's why I wake up.
SnoozeHunter

Postby Vicki » Mon May 08, 2006 1:27 am

Hey SnoozeHunter,

Man I learn a lot here. What I found points to your humming as being a parasomnia. A para what people may ask? Well, to quote, "Parasomnia is a term used to describe disruptive sleep-related events. These behaviors and experiences generally occur during sleep, and in most cases are infrequent and mild. At times they may occur often enough or become so bothersome that medical attention is necessary".

To see where this definition came from and to read a concise and clear page on parasomnia's, go here:
Parasomnias

This article discribes a vocalization on exhalation. I only read this abstract, but it was apparently considered benign and gave the authors a chance to propose another classification of parasomnias.
Vocalization during episodes of prolonged expiration: a parasomnia related to REM sleep

I also found this on vocalizations:
Groaning

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby SnoozeHunter » Mon May 08, 2006 5:57 am

Wow, Vicki!

Thank you so much for the info and links! Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one making these weird noises. My kids think I'm scary when I sleep.
SnoozeHunter

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!