• Site Supporter

Therapy hours?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Therapy hours?

Postby jamjar62 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 am

Two questions:

1. What exactly does "therapy hours" mean? It is one of the info settings on my Resperonics BiPap and it doesn't seem to change no matter how many hours of
sleep I get. It hovers around 6.5 - 7.2.

2. What does the "periodic breathing" setting mean? Mine is at 0%.

Thanks!

Karen
jamjar62

Machine: Philips Respironics System One
Mask: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Yes Respironics System 1
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: Therapy hours?

Postby robysue » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:54 pm

These are not "settings"---they are data reports.

The "therapy hours" numbers are the average number of hours you used the machine each night during the last seven (or thirty) day period. Because these are seven and thirty day averages, one night of sleep with a couple of extra hours is not likely to affect the number all that much. In other words, these numbers don't change much because you are sleeping roughly the same amount of time with the machine night after night after night ...

"Periodic breathing" is a breathing pattern that shows a definite waxing and waning pattern in terms of the depth of the inhalations/exhalations. When it's bad, there can be an apnea (usually a central apnea) during the period of shallowest breathing. Some forms of heart disease are associated with large amounts of periodic breathing---sometime just a night and sometimes during the day as well. The periodic breating % is the percentage of time the machine was detecting periodic breathing patterns. So you want that number to be 0.0%. But note, the algorithm is not completely perfect and it's not that uncommon for a person who is healthy to have a tiny bit of periodic breathing now and then.

The numbers you really want to watch are the seven and thirty day AHI numbers.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby jamjar62 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:15 pm

My AHI is 1.4 for the 7 day and 1.6 for the 30 day. My doc seems pretty happy with those numbers. My sleep study AHI was 83!
jamjar62

Postby SleepyToo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:57 pm

An AHI less than 5 is good, at 1.4 you are probably close to "normal" for people who do not need to use a CPAP. Just remember that having an AHI that low does not mean you are cured - it just means that your BiPAP is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Congratulations on the excellent numbers - they will fluctuate, but so long as they stay below 5 you shouldn't worry. Overall, how do you feel is a very important question.
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Diagnosed September 2009, Respironics System One w/ C-flex and humidifier
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes, integral with PRS1
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby jamjar62 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:49 pm

I feel okay but truthfully I didn't feel that bad before I started using my BiPap. The only reason I went in for a sleep study was because my family complained about my snoring. My sleepiness score (or whatever that test is called) was only a 5 and I didn't have the problems associated with apnea.

I was surprised when my sleep study showed I had severe sleep apnea. Two hours into the test, the tech woke me up and put me on the CPAP.

I use my machine every night but only because I know it's good for me; not because I feel any better using it.
jamjar62

Postby SleepyToo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:10 am

It may take a while for the good feelings to come - if you had apnea for a long time, there is a good chance that it will take a long time to reverse the bad effects. Also, keep in mind that poor sleeping may have an impact - this can be caused, for example, the wrong choice of pillow, a mattress that is not suitable, or the wrong amount of bed clothing - being too hot or too cold can affect your sleep. Keep a diary, and find out what makes you feel bad and try and eliminate that from your life (I have a lot more work to do in that area!).
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Diagnosed September 2009, Respironics System One w/ C-flex and humidifier
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes, integral with PRS1
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby robysue » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:36 am

jamjar62 wrote:I feel okay but truthfully I didn't feel that bad before I started using my BiPap. The only reason I went in for a sleep study was because my family complained about my snoring. My sleepiness score (or whatever that test is called) was only a 5 and I didn't have the problems associated with apnea.

And in that case, maybe your OSA was caught before it had started to make a serious impact on the quality of your life. And in that case, you can think of the BiPAP as a tool that will keep you feeling at your best for years to come.

With the BiPAP you are minimizing your chances for developing such comorbid conditions as treatment resistant high blood pressure, serious heart disease, type II diabetes, stroke. With the BiPAP you may never experience the constant fatigue and excessive daytime sleepiness that so many develop before their OSA is discovered. Hence your life may be spared years of feeling like you are existing rather than living, finding it a constant struggle to get through each and every day.

And then, there's another potential benefit: In several months you may start to notice a positive difference in how you feel that doesn't directly seem like it could be related to the OSA in the first place. For me, it took a year before I was consistently waking up feeling "better" than I had pre-CPAP. The positive changes in how I felt were both very subtle and very gradual. And the very first positive difference in how I felt on a daily basis was when I started to notice that I was no longer waking up with pain in my hands and feet every morning. Now, I never wake up with hand and foot pain. And this one seemingly small difference makes me feel much younger than I felt 15 months ago---about the time I started CPAP.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby Kitatonic » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:06 pm

I have the same story as jarjam62!---only a few episodes of daytime sleepiness and loud snoring. At my husband's OSA apt, he complained that I snore and get up at night repeatedly to the BR. The doctor declared that I probably had OSA. Reluctantly, I did get tested.Again, like jarjam62, after only two hours, just to be awaken for CPAP. Desats down to the 60s with AHI 49! BUT now looking back, I admit I did have symptoms beyond nocturia and snoring. OSA drove me to early retirement.
Kitatonic

Machine: ResMed Auto 9
Mask: ResMed Fx pillows and Mirage nasal
Humidifier: ResMed 9 Climateline

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions