The air is too cold coming out of my cpap

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

The air is too cold coming out of my cpap

Postby sephiro499 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:54 am

I have a pr systemone cpap with integrated humidifier at 11. I watched a youtube video of the pr rep who said the systemone has a built in temp and humidity sensor. It adjusts based on room conditions. I want the air warm, not room temperature. Since I live in the basement it gets and stays cold down here. Low 60s is normal during the winter, so I bought a room heater at set it at 74.

I can't sleep with the cold air blowing on my face. Will the repti-heater mod work? I'm writing this message because my roommate told me the electric bill is x3 normal. The heater I bought is 1500watts. I'm trying to figure out a way to not have to pay an extra 100 dollars a month in rent just to cover the electricity.
sephiro499

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Mirage Quatro
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby CrohnieToo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:35 am

There aren't that many PR S1s out just yet. Have you read your Users Manual to see if there are instructions there to override the room temperature bit and get a more comfortable air temperature at the mask??

If there is no answer to your problem there then I would contact either your local DME provider you got your PR S1 from or contacting PR directly.

Good luck.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Janknitz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm

I have the same problem--sometimes it's the cold air that wakes me when the pressure increases. I hope it stays cool in the summer, but it's no fun on cold nights. I hang my hose, so there's no putting it under the covers. I may whip up a hose cosy to see if that helps.

The System One has 5 settings for the humidifier, but I havent' quite figured out what the settings do--I suspect they do increase the heat to increase the amount of humidity, but I don't get the feeling that it's enough to warm the flow of air since this is a passover humidifying system. I don't think there is any way to override the system as far as water temperature.
Janknitz

Postby base2balls » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 pm

:-D :-D :-D The air comming out of mine is pretty cold too, but I found a remedy. I put on some mittons on my hands when I have the mask on. The air blows on my hands and I have arthritis in them and if I don't wear the mittons, my hands will hurt all day long. On the humidifyer I have it set no higher than 2. If you turn it sown the air will be cold, but if you urn it up it will be better, The air won't be hot air but it won't be so cold. At least it's that way on my machine. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay
base2balls

Postby mcbrian33 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 am

There isn't an override on the PR S1 for the hot plate. It does "LIMIT" the temp in the water chamber, but it isn't striving to keep you "at room temp"; it tries to stop “rainout” in the tube. There is not much to this control, but I wish they had an option that would allow it to adjust if you are using insolated/ lined tubes which is a standard fix for rainout.

The new Res Med S9, when you look at temp control, basically has this as a default in a convoluted kind of way. It still monitors the room temp and adjusts the water chamber temperature, but thru a thermocouple at the MASK END of the tube and not at the machine inlet. It also has a factory heated tube, so they might say not to wrap it with anything.

Side by side, the PR S1 against the S9 (with this option), the S9 would be able to produce warmer air more humidified air at the mask end. Basically, the S9 rocks; and even though I just got a PR S1, I still want one!

McBrian33
Retitrated 2/10 to 10cmH2O
Respironics SystemOne, FlexFit 407 \:D/
Wife & I became hoseheads 30 days apart O:)
I also got a "I TOLD YOU SO" nine years in the making. :roll:
mcbrian33

• Site Supporter