TAP dental device

This forum is for the discussion of approved dental devices.

TAP dental device

Postby fjd2006 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 am

I was diagnosed with severe OSA last year despite not having any symptoms other than loud snoring - NO daytime sleepiness, etc.. I usually sleep well all night long and have vivid, long dreams that I remember. Someone told me that you can't have apnea that severe if you are having lucid dreams so vividly you can remember them all. I honestly don't know if that is true or not. Anyone?

In any event, I tried CPAP, couldn't handle it. Tried the TAP device and can't sleep with it in and can't breathe well because I'm always congested due to chronic sinusitus. Losing weight helps a little regarding the snoring but I need something more. Now I see this SONA pillow seems to be effective. I sleep on my stomach with my head tilted to the side -not on my side or back - could this be part of the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
fjd2006

Postby cowboy1964 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:37 am

I would believe your sleep study (I assume you had one) over someone telling you some unsubstantiated theory about "if you can remember dreams you don't have apnea"!

Sorry I can't answer your question about the device.
cowboy1964

sleep pillow and position and oral appliances

Postby ilshapira » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:14 pm

Side sleep and crvical pillows improve sleep by straightening airway and putting gravity on your side. I have seen patients get better and worse with stomache sleeping. Remembering dreams is often associated with waking during rem sleep. Do not consider this as meanig you are cured. people with untreated apnea have a 36% increase in death over 8 years than people treated. Increased risks of HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, 3-6 times more motor vehicle acidents and many more dire consequences too numerous to mention. If you think the pillow is working, great. Get a sleep test to make sure. This is your life you are risking.

If you could not tolerate tap appliance there are many othrs. you can check my site ihatecpap.com or quietsleep.com for more info or try another cpap mask or look into surgery

Ira
ilshapira

To ilshapira

Postby Wingatemother » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:21 pm

I visited the Ihatecpap website and emailed, asking for a reply. I haven't gotten a reply after several weeks. I want to know what oral device is recommended for someone with hypopnea who also has bruxism and TMJ.
Wingatemother

Postby ilshapira » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:54 am

I am very sorry no one replied. There were some network problems at I HATE CPAP. The type of appliance is less important than the position that it puts your jaw in. I determine starting appliances based on severity. All appliances have advantages and disadvantages. The choice of an appliance is between you and your doctor. I often use a titration appliance to find the best position and the swith appliance for maximum comfort. Other patients wear the titration appliance for years. Bruxism and clenching ,just like gastric reflux are part of the apnea problem.

Ira
ilshapira

Postby ljette » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site but wanted to contribute my experiences. I used a CPAP every single night for 4 years and every single night for 4 years I had constant wake-ups from leaks,tubing in the way etc. Finally about 2 months ago I couldn't stand it another night and just stopped using the hated machine! Didn't sleep any better but felt better. 3 weeks ago I was fitted with a TAP3 dental device and have used it every night. I sleep for much longer periods of time waking up only twice each night! Feels like heaven. But it is tearing up my tongue. There is a metal bar that my tongue must be rubbing against when I sleep. Has anyone else had this happen and if so is there anything to help?
ljette

Postby Scriptdog » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:46 pm

I jsut got the Tap3.... It's uncomfortable, but I feel like eventually I'll be able to tolerate it so I'm hopeful... My mouth feels crowded with it in, but there's nothing that I can feel that would tear at my tongue. Maybe there's something wrong with the fitting you have.
Scriptdog

Postby Scriptdog » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:41 am

It's two weeks later... I've adjusted fully to the TAP-3 and am having no problems with it... Thirty seconds of exercise for the jaw in the morning and I'm fine... It's deinitely helping. How much, I don't know yet, but I feel a lot better with greater energy throughout the day.

I was fighting it during sleep at first, so my jaw would get tired and I'd have to spit it out after a few hours. Each night I could tolerate it a little longer until after a week, I was sleeping through the night with it... Then I started advancing it outward. It took about three nights to get it fully extended... It was then that I began to feel benefit from it...

I've also been able to train myself to sleep on my side... I filled a backpack with heavy foam so I couldn't possibly sleep on my back. After about two months, I'm trained and no longer need the backpack... I put wedged pillows between my legs to eliminate hip pain... Ridiculous what I go through for a night's sleep...

I don't know if I'm out of the woods, but I am more optimistic and feel better that I did just a few weeks ago. And it's a lot easier to tolerate than CPAP was for me.
Scriptdog

Postby Scriptdog » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:14 pm

It's now six weeks later and TAP-3 is starting to cause jaw pain. I only sleep with it one night in four.

The good news is, I've lost about 20 of the 40 pounds I want to shed and I've learned to sleep on my side, so even without it, I'm feeling much better than several months ago. Still, I need to get back to the dentist and see why it's causing pain... On those nights I am able to wear it, it definitely helps.
Scriptdog

Pain with TAP

Postby ilshapira » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:04 pm

If you are having pain you have advancef to far foward to quickly. Back up to comfortable position and advance more slowly. See this site for more info http://sleepandhealth.com/modules.php?n ... 130&tid=22

There is an old article on problems and pitfalls in a sleep and health journal but it is older and you would have to go to old pdf files from 2002 or 2003

Talk to your dentist about an aqualizer to twear for a while during the day to relax jaw muscles.

Pain is a warning sign., Do not ignore it get guidance from your dentist. He can adjust the bite on the TAP also.

Dr Ira L Shapira
ilshapira

Postby Scriptdog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Thanks... I'll do that...

The strange thing is, I was fine for over a month on the setting it's at now... Will make the appointment.
Scriptdog

Postby melhajj » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:20 am

I am using a cpap mask and i am trying to find out which oral appliance will work better for my case; i do have severe obstructive sleep apnea and my doctor recommended klearway oral appliance, but, i have read that full breathing solution appliance works well and it seems to me that with the problem of my tongue rolling back when i am sleeping the full breathing solution seems more logical than the klearway; any input about these two appliances will be very much appreciated; also i wonder if i should continue wearing the cpap mask while using an oral appliance. Looking for new ways to improve my quality of sleep. thanks in advance for any reply.
melhajj

Postby melhajj » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:20 am

I am using a cpap mask and i am trying to find out which oral appliance will work better for my case; i do have severe obstructive sleep apnea and my doctor recommended klearway oral appliance, but, i have read that full breathing solution appliance works well and it seems to me that with the problem of my tongue rolling back when i am sleeping the full breathing solution seems more logical than the klearway; any input about these two appliances will be very much appreciated; also i wonder if i should continue wearing the cpap mask while using an oral appliance. Looking for new ways to improve my quality of sleep. thanks in advance for any reply.
melhajj

• Site Supporter

Return to Sleep Apnea Oral Appliance discussion