• Site Supporter

Swallowing air?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Swallowing air?

Postby Merryj » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Got my CPAP machine on Friday afternoon - started using it that night. II have slept about 7 hours per night with the machine on. My pressure is fairly low - only at a 9 and ramps up starting at 4. My problem is that I am swallowing air and am bloated. I have tried taking a gas-x pill before bed and one again in the morning - but it does not seem to work. Any ideas on how to fix this? I love the way my brain feels after getting a good nights sleep but the bloat is killing me
Merryj

Re: Swallowing air?

Postby jrinker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Gas-X won't help, as you do not have gas. You are swallowing air (called aerophagia), which is pretty common when first starting cpap.

Go to YouTube and search for "lanky lefty". He is a sleep tech, and has posted a number of very informative videos. One of them is about aerophagia, and he gives a few tips about how to deal with it. Hopefully, you will find it helpful.

That bloated feeling is very uncomfortable, but it will pass as you get used to the cpap.

Good luck
jrinker
Resmed Vpap Adapt SV Enhanced, Respironics Fit Life total face mask, Forma full face mask.
Complex apnea, original AHI 80
jrinker

Machine: Resmed Adapt SV Enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!