• Site Supporter

surgery to enlarge nasal passages?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

surgery to enlarge nasal passages?

Postby jscholz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm 44 and I have severe OSA and I've been using a cpap for nearly 2 years and its not a problem. For convenience and not having to use the cpap, I am considering surgery if it will reduce the OSA significantly and for an extended number of years.

I've been told that my snoring, which has been happening since I was a kid, is likely the result of very small passages from my sinuses. Anyone with experience in having your sinus passages enlarged who can give me feedback?

Thanks.
jscholz

Re: surgery to enlarge nasal passages?

Postby Dirtysuka » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I'M AN RT FOR 10YRS AND CPAP USER FOR 8YRS. SURGERY IS NOT THE ANSWER. CONSULT AN ENT DR. FIRST. PRO'S AND CONS WITH SURGERY. SOME SAY SCAR TISSUE FORMS AND ACTS LIKE THE SOFT TISSUE DID IN OBSTRUCTION NOT TO MENTION IT'S A VERY PAINFUL AFTERMATH. ALTHOUGH A NEIGHBOR OF MINE WHO IS AN EYE DR HAD SOFT PALATTE SURGERY DUE TO APNEA AND HE SAID HE SLEEPS FINE NOW, BUT WHO KNOWS. THERE IS ALSO A NEW STUDY THAT YOU CAN GOOGLE. IT'S CALLED STAR STIMULATION THERAPY FOR APNEA REDUCTION. THEY PERFORM SURGERY AND INSTALL A DEVICE THAT SENDS LOW VOLTAGE TO YOUR HYPOGALMOUS NERVE NEAR YOUR TOUNGE AND IT KEEPS THE AIRWAY OPEN WITH EVERY BREATH. THE UNIT CAN BE TURNED ON AND OFF REMOTELY. IT'S IN THE TRIAL STAGES, BUT KEEP UP WITH THE CPAP THERAPY. CPAP THERAPY IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL AND NON INVASIVE WAY TO PREVENT APNEA, NOT CURE IT. CONSULT YOUR DR'S AND SEE HOW SEVERE YOUR APNEA IS. AN ENT WILL TELL YOU IF YOU HAVE A DEVIATED SEPTUM AND ENLARGED TISSUE AND TOUNGE. GOOD LUCK.
Dirtysuka

Machine: respironics PR550 auto cpap
Mask: swift fx med pillows
Humidifier: PR
Year Diagnosed: 2004

Postby jscholz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Thank you.
jscholz

Postby Dirtysuka » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm

No prob
Dirtysuka

Machine: respironics PR550 auto cpap
Mask: swift fx med pillows
Humidifier: PR
Year Diagnosed: 2004

Postby SleepLife » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:47 pm

If you have air passage problems in the nose (deviated septum, sinus problems and enlarged turbinates) it will always be a good idea to consider an operation.

This will not cure your OSA, but will give you a much better breathing, and thus a better xPAP compliance.

These operations can not be compared with operations in the soft palate.

SleepLife
SleepLife

Postby jscholz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Interesting that it would not reduce my osa. Since I don't have trouble with cpap compliance it would not seem beneficial to have that surgery.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
jscholz

Postby Davey B » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:12 am

STAR STIMULATION THERAPY - Sounds interesting, thanks for that.

Today I had my deviated septum and turbinates reduction surgery - Won't know how much better I will be able to breath for approx days - Will try and remember to up-date on your thread on how I feel and how it went.

I also had UPPP surgery approx 5 months ago - My AHI went from 68 to 28 - A very big improvement in my opinion - However I am still using CPAP and my AHI is now around 3 which is very good and I am actually feeling the benifits.

I read on this forum that surgery for OSA is normally more effective from the throat down as that is where the main air blockages are.

Best of luck with your surgery if you decide to go that route.
Dave
Davey B

• Site Supporter