Suggestions for Weekly CPAP Cleaning

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Postby proverbs3:24 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:04 am

I am looking for suggestions from other CPAP users regarding the weekly cleaning. Has anyone discovered a good container (other than the sink) to soak the hoses in? Any other cleaning advice that other users would offer? Thank you.
proverbs3:24

Postby Ridge Runner » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:40 am

For cleaning my hoses and mask, I've successfully used two things:
- a plastic rectangular basin for hospital patient washing, and
- a 3 qt Rubbermaid mixing bowl.
In either case, about 8 cups of fluid will submerge the hoses and mask.

I don't have a really great container for soaking my humidifier (a Respironics passover humidifier) in a vinegar-water mixture. I've used a baking pan that's larger than a 9x13, and it holds one piece of the humidifier at a time - but it's easy to spill it. I've also tried filling up the assembled humidifier with the vinegar-water solution; it's neater and uses less than 2 quarts, but I suspect it doesn't access all areas.

A sink will work, but you want the sink cleaner than a usual residential sink; that's why I don't use one.
Ridge Runner

Postby Vicki » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:42 pm

Use Ivory dishwashing liquid to wash your mask and hose. Don't put any kind of soap in the humidifier. Just dump it out and use vinegar once in a while to get rid of any kind of calcium buildup. Put a little dishwashing liquid in one end of the hose and take it into the shower/bathtub with you. Run water from the soap end to clean it out. There is no need to soak the hose or mask. Hang the hose over a towel rack or shower curtain rod to dry.

Making it as Simple and effective as Possible Vicki
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby rested gal » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:45 am

This is not a cleaning tip per se but can help you avoid the calcium buildup Vicki mentioned.

Use only distilled water in the humidifier. Pennies a gallon; available at grocery stores. Wish a car could run on it!! I simply add distilled water using a funnel and not even removing the humidifier chamber. I rarely dump the unused water out; I just keep adding distilled water as needed. The chamber (and water) stays crystal clear.
rested gal

Postby rpad » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:29 pm

I do exactly what Rested Gal does. Its easy as pie and works great.
rpad

Postby Amigo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:24 am

rested gal wrote:This is not a cleaning tip per se but can help you avoid the calcium buildup Vicki mentioned.

Use only distilled water in the humidifier. Pennies a gallon; available at grocery stores. Wish a car could run on it!! I simply add distilled water using a funnel and not even removing the humidifier chamber. I rarely dump the unused water out; I just keep adding distilled water as needed. The chamber (and water) stays crystal clear.

To each her own, but according to my respiratory technician/nurse the distilled water should be completely changed every day to avoid the buildup of bacteria. Of course, if you're not having any problems with this practice, I would agree that it's less of a hassle.
Amigo

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions