strengthening throat muscles

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Postby sedwards1018 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:35 pm

Since Apnea is caused by a loss of muscle tone, is there any information exercises to strengthen the appropriate muscles?
sedwards
sedwards1018

Apnea Exercises

Postby Woof_man » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:20 am

Sed,
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.smile-on.com/articles/articl ... cle_id=521

I was curious about the same thing.

I've read that playing the didgeridoo will prevent snoring (and apparently some apnea). So, I wondered if there might be some throat and tongue exercises that might help treat OSA.

I only found this one site that lists some exercises. I tried to do some further searching to see if the author had published anything in the open scientific literature, and found nothing.

I've been doing them (once daily) for over a month. I have no idea whether they help, but they at least appear harmless.

Also, I showed them to my pulmonologist, and he had never seen any thing like them.

Regards all - - Woof
Woof_man

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:28 am

I have seen something like this before, the only part that is harmless is that it isn't causing you to DIRECTLY do something that will harm you. However, if this method does not treat sleep apnea, (which as Woof said, there doesn't seem to be any direct medical proof) You are harming yourself by not using a medically proven treatment method. (be it CPAP, dental devices, or for those rare few that it will work, surgery, or possibly even didgeridoo (jury is still out on the last one ;-) )

We are all looking for that "quick fix" to get the OSA monkey off our back. But please lets be careful to do it in a way that won't potentially cause us harm by not properly treating it.
Mike

Machine: Respironics Remstar Auto
Mask: Resmed Swift
Humidifier: Yes, Aussie Heated Hose
Year Diagnosed: 2005

Postby Kaicee » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:19 am

I love to sing - I sing in choir at least twice a week. I know this involves many muscles in and around the throat, so I tell myself that every time I sing I may be preventing an apnea event! ;-)
Kaicee

Postby sedwards1018 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:33 am

I have to say Im dissappointed by the subject of strengthening the throat muscles being referred to as a "quick fix". Where on earth did that come from? Throat exercise addresses the root cause of the problem; loss of throat muscle tone. Almost every article I read about Apnea mentions loss of muscle tone in the throat area. People who sing practice all kinds of throat exercises, they re-train their vocal cords and throat muscles. It takes years.

The quick fix is surgery. You lay on your back and let someone solve the problem. I would gladly do it if the success rate were a little higher.
sedwards
sedwards1018

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:26 am

The reason I said quick fix is that it has not been proven as a solution. People often look at CPAP as a therapy that they can't do, and try to find any other solution that *might* work. Unfortunately even the link listed above only says its a "treatment" for snoring. Let's not confuse snoring with sleep apnea. Not all people that snore have sleep apnea and not all people with sleep apnea snore. (although its a common indicator, along with apnea events)

CPAP currently is the GOLD standard in treatment. The reason for this is that sleep apnea can be "turned off" with CPAP.

I personally WELCOME all new PROVEN methods of treatment. But we need to be VERY careful not to convince ourselves that we are treating ourselves when we in fact are putting ourselves at risk by not using a PROVEN treatment method.
Mike

Machine: Respironics Remstar Auto
Mask: Resmed Swift
Humidifier: Yes, Aussie Heated Hose
Year Diagnosed: 2005

Throat muscles

Postby sedwards1018 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:11 pm

I'll pursue it with a researcher. Clearly this was the wrong place to mention it.
sedwards
sedwards1018

Re: strengthening throat muscles

Postby Sparky » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:23 am

sedwards1018 wrote:Since Apnea is caused by a loss of muscle tone, is there any information exercises to strengthen the appropriate muscles?

try ijustwanttosleep.com.
Sparky

Exercising the throat

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Re: Loud snoring
guest wrote:
I found the npr website.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4731175

Morning Edition, July 6, 2005 · Music teacher Alise Ojay has developed exercises that she claims will help many people stop snoring. The Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital is studying her course, which teaches people how to strengthen the throat muscles she says can help reduce snoring.
Bill Cummings

Re: strengthening throat muscles

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:52 pm

sedwards1018 wrote:I have to say Im dissappointed by the subject of strengthening the throat muscles being referred to as a "quick fix". Where on earth did that come from? Throat exercise addresses the root cause of the problem; loss of throat muscle tone. Almost every article I read about Apnea mentions loss of muscle tone in the throat area. People who sing practice all kinds of throat exercises, they re-train their vocal cords and throat muscles. It takes years.

The quick fix is surgery. You lay on your back and let someone solve the problem. I would gladly do it if the success rate were a little higher.

I have had asthma all my life, and I think I heard somewhere along the way that inhalers can reduce the muscle tone of the muscles in people's throats. Is that correct information?
Andrew

• Site Supporter