• Site Supporter

Sore Throat Caused by CPAP?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Sore Throat Caused by CPAP?

Postby elduderino » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:38 pm

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd take it. I have been on CPAP for a couple of Months, and just last week I developed a pretty nasty sore throat. I have been on anti-biotics and Prednizone for about a week and the pain is gone, but my throat still feels a bit swollen. I was just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and think that the constant air pressure oif CPAP may have anything to do with it. I use a Nasal mask, have a heated humidifier going at full blast and am pretty compliant with the whole program. Any input would be appreciated.

By the way, CPAP has improved my life dramatically. I am back to my old self and have a lot more energy than I had for the last couple of years. It saved my sanity.

Thanks.
elduderino

Postby lynn321 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:58 pm

I dont think the CPAP is responsible, especially of using a humidifier
lynn321

Postby cyncyn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:31 pm

are you breathing thru your mouth,? I am a mouth breather with a full face mask and have a sore throat most mornings.
cyndi

No longer asleep at the wheel!!

Resperonics Bi-pap 29/21
ResMed FF Mask
Hosehead since 04/06
cyncyn

Sore Throat & the CPAP Experience

Postby James » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:02 am

I have been using mine for about a year & I have not used a humidifier -- my throat has been sore & I do fell my throat area -- as i guess I think about it more -- well tonight I will use a cold humidifier & see what happens -- it is a bad sore throat & I have also had strange inner ear flare-ups where I feel dizzy -- its also Allergy season so I may be confused here -- but I know that the dry air has contributed to my sore throat -- I have also noticed that Hot sauce & really sore stuff makes my throat more sensitive than before.

James
James

Postby lamplighter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:27 am

Are you cleaning out your hoses? Make sure they are clean as well as the filters. It might have something to do with allergies. Plus have you been doing the sinus irrigation. That might be the trick for you.
lamplighter

Postby CPAP Pains » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:11 pm

I have not cleaned my hose but I have replaced them -- three times this year. I just got a Heated Humidifier Today --
we shall see how things may change...

James
CPAP Pains

Just a virus

Postby elduderino » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:34 am

It turned out my sore throat was just a virus.

I clean the tube of my CPAP machine out once a week with a vinegar/water solution. How often does everyone clean out the humidifier tank?
elduderino

Re: Sore Throat Caused by CPAP?

Postby rundgrenkid » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:34 pm

I am having the same issue. I woke this morning with a very sore throat - as one said like someone punched me in my laranyx I'm actaully happy to know that its likely due to the CPAP now that I see many others are having similar issues. I used to be a mouth breather but with flosnase I can finally breath thorugh my nose. I have a mirage mask which is only for my nose. maybe i need that chin strap to stop my mouth from opening. If someone has another idea let me know.
rundgrenkid

Machine: Phillips Respironics Systen One
Mask: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Yes Phillips Heated Humid
Year Diagnosed: 11

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!