Sore Throat and Ears

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Sore Throat and Ears

Postby ChristyKorn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:54 pm

New User Here. Do people experience a extreme sore throat and ears when using the CPAP? I don't think my allergies are bothing me, so my second guess it's the CPAP.
ChristyKorn

Postby mcbrian33 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:00 am

It is a bit of an adjustment, but I would follow up with your Dr and tell them of your difficulties expecially if this is painful and more than just popping ears.

I have heard of ear discomfort when beginning. For me it was not painful, but I felt like I had to continually yawn to open my ears when I would first settle in for the night which would cause them to pop. After a little while even those sensations went away and I became used to the pressure.

By the way what are your pressure and settings? It would be a bit harder to adjust to 12-20+cmH2O with no exhilation relief compared to 4-12cmH2O. My experiance was at ajusting to 9cmH2O.

McBrian33
Retitrated 2/10 to 10cmH2O
Respironics SystemOne, FlexFit 407 \:D/
Wife & I became hoseheads 30 days apart O:)
I also got a "I TOLD YOU SO" nine years in the making. :roll:
mcbrian33

Postby NeedO2too » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:14 am

Only if I run the CPAP without the humidifier too many days in a row do I get the sore throat. Or if I don't put enough water in to get me through the nights. Usually I get the headache way before I get the sore throat. And I've had tickley/itchy sensations in the ears before, but nothing painful.
NeedO2too

Postby ChristyKorn » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 am

That's bunches for your replies. My pressure is set at 10. I wonder if I happened to change the pressure during the middle of the night. I like to push buttons without the light on. #-o I better check that out! My throat never hurt in the being with my first nose mask in Nov. Then I switch to the liberty mask and the small nose pillows were too big, so sad they don't make an extra small. I couldn't make it threw the night with the first two mask.
Now, I can with the quattro mask, but my throat REALLY hurts, my face swells (I heard this is bad. I've got a doc appt) and my ears bother me. My ears feel irritated; I shouldn't have said they are in extreme pain. I've adjusted the straps so my face isn't swelling as bad, but I still have a bit of leakage by my eyes. My eye lids are sometimes swollen. I must have a small nose. :lol: I have ran out of water a few times. :roll: I’m going to adjust the humidifier tonight, and start checking the water level every night.
I have an appt with my doctor to check out other options or figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I REALLY appreicate your replies. I believe you might have helped me figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I'll keep my doc appt. THANKS BUNCHES!!!
This site has really helped me out figure out how to fix the small problems. I really enjoy using my CPAP when it doesn't cause other problems.
Have a fabulous Sunday!
ChristyKorn

Postby ChristyKorn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm

:-D THANKS BUNCHES again! My sore throat is gone. I've learned a lot from this site thanks to great people like YOU.
ChristyKorn

• Site Supporter