Sore Nose from pillows

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Sore Nose from pillows

Postby rick48421 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:02 am

Just started with my cpap last friday and am using Swift nasal pillows. After 5 days I had to take them off last night because the edge of my nostral edge was so sore I couldn't sleep. My DME said not to make them to tight but when they are in the nose lightly any time I roll on my side the headgear on the pillow pushes them over and they leak. So I spend the night awake moving my head and resealing them. When I tighten them they seal better, but I believe this is making my nose sore. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong. Also I sleep on my side and it appears that head gear along the side of the face is what seams to push the nasal pillow out of place. I was looking at the Comfort Lite 2 as this seams to eliminate that. Anyone have luck with it. I have a few weeks to exchange my set-up if I don't like it but want to make sure I am using the Swift correctly before giving up on it.
rick48421

Postby ThStoddart » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:07 am

I'm a Swift user too, but a back sleeper so I haven't had this problem. Unless I shift or rollover in bed, I have found that I don't need to make the headgear tight at all to keep a good seal.

Side sleepers on this board have posted about good results using the Papillow. Might be worth checking out in your case, even if you do end up switching to another mask.

Stodd
ThStoddart

Postby Napster(the former) » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:29 am

I had the same problem early on, but I have been successfully using the rig for over seven months, and there was an easy solution for me.

The initial inflamation was cured with a little Neosporin CREAM, not ointment, CREAM. The redness went away in a day. I carried the tube around and massaged in a very small squirt whenever in private. I carefully cleaned the pillows every morning so that the hydrocarbons in the cream would not degrade the silicone pillows.

The long-term solution has been to use AYR nasal jelly. AYR is a saline gel, just like K-Y, but the tube I bought contains aloe also, and it smells better than K-Y.
Check your smoke detectors and make sure the batteries are fresh.
Napster(the former)

Nostril discomfort

Postby Miss Rumphius » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:10 pm

Rick48421,

I just started using the ComfortLite2 a week ago. It's great! I'm having a little probllem with the inside of one nostril being a bit sore where the seam on the nasal pillow is. Other than that, it rarely leaks and I can use my glasses to read myself to sleep. The company offers 3 interfaces -- nasal pillows, simple nasal mask, and direct-seal cushion. Not sure what the last is, though.

Nancy
Miss Rumphius

Postby VancouverHosehead » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:03 am

I had the same problem when I started using the switft. I used some nasal gel, and that helped, but now I find I don't need it. Also are you using the largest size pillow?

Try different sizes, small, medium, large, keeping in mind seal should be your biggest concern. I started with large, switched to medium and I can use either actually.
CPAP has given me my life back!
~ Thankfuly, my wife thinks Darth Vader is sexy! ~
VancouverHosehead

Postby bimper » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:07 pm

I am also using the Swift pillows and am having nose irritation at night. I think in my case it may be caused by the air flow and I am trying different settings on my humidification (RemStar Plus/heated humidification). My nose isn't red or sore when the flow is off. I also have a Comfort Gel nose mask and have had good results with that, but if I can find a good combnation I would prefer to use the Swift. I have tried all three sizes of the pillows and each works without leaks - no problems there. I will also try loosening the straps - I may have them too tight.

And the experimenting goes on! :roll:
bimper

Postby bimper » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 am

An update - last night I did as I planned - loosened the straps on the headgear and turned up the heat on the humidification and preheated before going to sleep. Success! Last night there was absolutely no irritation inside my nose. The humidification was set at "1" originally, and even at "2" was irritating. I started the night at "4" which I immediately felt was a bit too warm, reset it to "3" and that seems to have done the trick. =D>
bimper

Postby CalicoskiesNC » Tue May 02, 2006 9:04 am

I use the Swift nasal pillows. When I first started, I was using the small pillows (my DME told me they were the size for me) and my nose got very sore. After maybe 10days, I read a post here about using the next size larger (explaining that the pillows weren't really supposed to be IN my nose, just resting at the nares) I went up to a Medium, I had to call the DME and get the M and L sent to me cuz they took them away when I p/up my equipment saying I wouldn't need them. The Medium pillows solved my problem. I've got 850hrs on my cpap, since January 2, 06 and I have no comfort issues at all. I do use some moisturizing gel at night, Ayr gel.
CalicoskiesNC

Re: Sore Nose from pillows

Postby rested gal » Tue May 02, 2006 12:50 pm

rick48421 wrote:I sleep on my side and it appears that head gear along the side of the face is what seams to push the nasal pillow out of place. I was looking at the Comfort Lite 2 as this seams to eliminate that. Anyone have luck with it. I have a few weeks to exchange my set-up if I don't like it but want to make sure I am using the Swift correctly before giving up on it.

The others gave good advice about lubricating the nostrils to lessen the friction from any nasal pillows mask.

If you do decide to try a different mask, I love the ComfortLite 2 with nasal pillows. Be sure it has "2" in the name, so it's not the older ComfortLite which wasn't as good. The ComfortLite 2 and another mask called Aeiomed's "Headrest" (Aura) are the two most comfortable nasal pillows masks for me, allowing toss and turn sleeping in any position. With ANY mask, it can be helpful if you'll rig a way to hang the main air hose up on the headboard or wall above your head. Lets you toss and turn underneath without the air hose tugging on a mask.
rested gal

Re: Sore Nose from pillows

Postby dscott64 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 am

After reading the posts here I got so much help! I was just recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have been using the Philips Nuance Pro gel pillows mask. I initially started with using the med size then switched to the small. Big mistake woke an hour after falling asleep and my nose hurt so I switched back to the med. After reading I even think that the med is too small. I did not realize that the pillows are supposed to rest on the nostrils. My nose hurts so bad now. It actually has a sore inside my right nostril. I am going out tomorrow and looking for nasal gel to help alleviate the sore. I also have been keeping the heated humidity level to 5 but I did not realize that it was actually heating the water and possibly causing the soreness. I am so glad I was able to find you all so I can get advice. I wake now fully refreshed and with more energy since beginning the CPAP machine. Have a great week!

Dawn
dscott64

Machine: Philips REMstar Pro C-Flex+
Mask: Philips RESPIRONICS Nuance Pro
Humidifier: Yes Philips System 1 Heat
Year Diagnosed: 2014

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions