Snoring and elongated uvula

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Snoring and elongated uvula

Postby drakezero » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:07 pm

I've had issues with snoring for the last four years so. It got so loud that my wife and I could no longer share the same room so I finally saw a doctor. He told me I had an elongated uvula that is causing me to snore and recommended a sleep study. The sleep study found that I had very mild Apnea so I was given a CPAP machine. I'm a 31 year old male not too obese around 170lb at 5'8. Trouble is I can't see myself being on this machine for the rest of my life. The doctor is suggesting surgery to trim the uvula and says its not anymore a big deal than getting your tonsils removed. Anyone have any experience with an elongated uvula and having it surgically removed? Did it eliminate your snoring?
drakezero

Machine: CPAP
Mask: Nasal
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: Snoring and elongated uvula

Postby Daniel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:24 pm

drakezero wrote:I've had issues with snoring for the last four years so. It got so loud that my wife and I could no longer share the same room so I finally saw a doctor. He told me I had an elongated uvula that is causing me to snore and recommended a sleep study. The sleep study found that I had very mild Apnea so I was given a CPAP machine. I'm a 31 year old male not too obese around 170lb at 5'8. Trouble is I can't see myself being on this machine for the rest of my life. The doctor is suggesting surgery to trim the uvula and says its not anymore a big deal than getting your tonsils removed. Anyone have any experience with an elongated uvula and having it surgically removed? Did it eliminate your snoring?

When something sounds as simple as that........it usually isn't.
How mild is your apnoea ? What is the AHI ?
Do you have any other issues besides snoring (excessive tiredness, diabetes, impaired short term memory, hypertension) ?

Snoring is actually the least of your problems here. Mild Apnoea left untreated quickly becomes moderate and then severe.

What the ENT is suggesting is a uvulectomy. It is unlikely to cure your OSA.
Is your snoring 'nasal' or from further down the airway. If it is 'nasal', then a uvulectomy won't help.
Has your ENT examined your airway any further than the uvula ?

Can you post more details from your sleep study (sleep staging, oxygenation levels etc). You are entitled to a copy of the study (runs to about 5/7 pages.....not the shortened 2 page version).
Was there any mention of 'positional apnoea' ?

Depending on severity, symptoms etc, surgery might work.......BUT not a simple uvulectomy. There are other procedures.

BTW, a uvulectomy (recovery that is) is very painful........and that idiot ENT knows that...it is a big deal...any surgery on you (or me) is a very big deal.

Post back with some details......surgery may be the way to go....but not with your present ENT. You need someone who knows about sleep disorders.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

• Site Supporter