sneezing... running nose.... help...

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

sneezing... running nose.... help...

Postby Sherryco » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:22 pm

Here I am again... just when I think that I am getting used to cpap... something else happens. I have been on treatment for about 3 weeks now. I faithfully wear the machine thru sore noses .. excess gas and nosebleeds. Last night I woke at midnight or so and my nose was running like someone turned a faucet on... I ended up taking the mask off at 3:30 because I could not get sinuses under control.. today my nose is still running and I have been sneezing all day. I did note that I had forgotten to turn on the humidifiers heat pad ... could that have cause such a problem... or am I blaming cpap for Needlessly? I don't believe that I have ever had my nose run like this ever. :-( You folks have been such a wonderful support to me anymore suggestions?
You don't have to be a star to shine.
Sherryco

Running Nose

Postby WisconsinBob » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:11 pm

I've been using my Cpap for about 1 month. Two days into using it, I came down with what I thought was a common Wisconsin cold. It lingered on for two weeks. I then went on vacation and did not bring the cpap with me. I had no cold symtoms while on vacation to Mexico. I came home and used the cpap the first night and woke up in the morning sneezing and I have blown my nose at least 50 times today.............HELP!!!!!!!
WisconsinBob

Postby DJDaddyK » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:05 pm

Yes CPAP can definitely cause congestion. I found that out the hard way when I decided to see if I really needed to use my humidifer. One night without heat or humidity was enough to cause sinus infection-like symptoms for me. Since then I always use my humidifer, and I crank the heat up as much as possible - I even bought the sleepzone heated hose so I could go warmer without getting rainout. As far as I can tell, the warmer and more humid the air you are breathing the better...
Steve
DJDaddyK

Postby Tradeguy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:45 pm

Only thing to watch out for his lung irratation with high humidy. I have asthma and was having a lot of problems after about a month on the cpap. Doc had me try turning the heater down to 1 (from 3), and I've been breathing a lot better over the last 3 months - even now, in the middle of north florida pollen season.

When I first started I needed the heater on 3 for my sinuses, but for whatever reason, I seem fine now at 1. I use a saline spray (Ocean) each night before I go to sleep and as soon as I wake up. I also put a thin coat of Ayr nasal gel on my nasal pillows each night. Maybe my nose just got used to it... ;-)

Gotta just keep trying things and remember that what works for one person may or may not work for you.

Oh...one thing I've really liked over the last couple of months are my hose covers. I got them from a very nice lady on ebay (I'm sure you can seek her out) who sews these really super soft insulating covers for the hose. In particular, the short piece that connects the mask to the main hose - not very expensive at all.

I run my hose up over my head and hang it from a string - it would clatter against the wall when I moved, plus it was rough where it sometimes touched the side of my head.

Now its like a soft (and quiet) pillowy tube :-D One of the simplest and best investments I've made.

Rich
Tradeguy

Postby Sherryco » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have my heat setting at 2 and that seems to work well for me. I have a friend who is an upolsterer by trade who is making me a hose cover. He can use whatever scraps he has left at shop as I will not be picky about color...I am feeling better now. It could have been as simple as I just caught a cold. Even so I don't remember ever sneezing so much for two days. still have a bit of an itch in one sinus but have stopped sneezing and the runny nose seems to have dried up (thank goodness!)
You don't have to be a star to shine.
Sherryco

• Site Supporter