• Site Supporter

SleepyHead Software

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

SleepyHead Software

Postby jedimark » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:52 am

Hi,

My name is Mark, and I am the developer behind the open-source cross-platform program called SleepyHead.

I thought I better come say hello at this forum, as SleepyHead has got a few mentions scattered around.

I "suffer" from OSA, as well as daily fatigue, pain and concentration issues. The doc put me on CPAP in the hopes controlling the OSA would lessen the other symptoms. It hasn't helped all that much yet, but I do now have a much more positive outlook.. By sticking to CPAP and improving my sleep habits, there is at least one aspect of my health under control.

SleepyHead came about because no software was available for Linux that allowed me to track my progress with CPAP treatment.

I have a very keen interest in issues surrounding sleep medicine. This project has allowed me to be proactive regarding my treatment, and satisfied an inner curiosity as to how these machines work on a technical level in the treatment of sleep apnea and related disorders.

If you have any questions about SleepyHead software, either usage or otherwise, please feel free to post them in this thread..
I'll do my best to answer what I can.

/JediMark
jedimark

Machine: Remstar System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Re: SleepyHead Software

Postby oldwoolstore » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:56 am

Hi Mark,
Great software. I am new to the APAP thing but so far so good. I have a Intellipap Auto and am wondering if there is anything in the pipeline from you for these machines?
Brendan
oldwoolstore

Machine: Intellipap Sleepcube Auto Adjust
Mask: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby SleepyToo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:19 am

Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum! I love the software, and look forward to seeing it go into beta. My only concern at the moment is that it does keep changing (I know that is a feature of alpha versions). In particular, I would like to see the upgrading process simplified so that we don't have to upload the entire dataset every time we upgrade. The interpretation of what we can see is a challenge, but I think that is something to talk about with our sleep docs, rather than try and resolve in the program. To facilitate that, it would be great if there was a way of printing reports other than by using Prt-Sc (on Windows machines).

Can you give any kind of timeline for development for the program?
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Diagnosed September 2009, Respironics System One w/ C-flex and humidifier
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes, integral with PRS1
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby jedimark » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi again!

First up, a big thank you to the Mods here for graciously allowing me the chance and the proper place for this thread to answer your questions..
(I'll be good I promise :)

A little disclaimer would be appropriate:
I will personally byte anyone who spoils this opportunity by mentioning anything to do with self treatment. Also, neither I nor the mods here would like to see this used this as a support forum for SleepyHead - there is already an appropriate place for that at the projects homepage.

I will certainly do my best to help you were possible, but more in a role of another software user who is afflicted with Sleep Apnea. I will also be able to answer technical questions you may have and clarify how things work. But please report any bugs and major problems to the support site, not here.. Also, I will not be posting new releases notes in this thread. (new code has been added to the program to let you know in future when an update is available)

I'm sure that brewing the occasional idea here won't hurt. I would very much like to give you guys & girls of this forum the opportunity to have input into the making of this software. There is already a feature request area on the projects homepage if you would like to make a formal request.

Now that's over with...

@oldwoolstore.. Support for Intellipap machines is currently being researched. I've requested some information from the DeVilbiss to see if I can speed up development.. If this doesn't materialize, it will require some good ol' fashion hacking and guess work.

@SleepyToo. Your quite correct.. Data format changes are a colossal pain.. It is an unfortunate part of the software development process. It's only recently parts have been put in place to minimize this. A new caching rebuilding system is still under way to help avoid this is future (as well as speed up the import process.) These changes will all be in place before the v0.9 beta test series is released. Print support is being planned too.. As for timeline.. well, it's free software.. I have decided I want to aim for a beta by the end of this year.. This will highly depend on my free time and health until then of course..

And finally, may I finish with few "public service announcements" which I feel are very important:

I would like to recommend ResMed S9 + software users (including ResScan users too!) regularly back up their SD card, as the S9 automatically deletes high resolution data older than 7 days, the rest of the graph data older than 30 days, and all the event data older than 365 days. SleepyHead allows you to import from a backup folder on your hard-drive, provided you keep the same folder structure as your SD card.

An important warning for Mac users: Please lock your SD cards plastic read/write tab before putting it into your Mac. Sleepyhead will not damage your SD card, as it is read only, but Mac OSX has been known to eat them, causing data corruption.. Remember to unlock after your done (your CPAP machine should nag you if you forget.. it would be wise to test this before going to sleep with your card locked though)

And one more: This is technically alpha software.. Although it's fairly advanced and quite usable, but it not ready for mass testing or prime time.. If your not comfortable using software that may break/crash occasionally, it would be best to wait at least for the beta..

Thank you again to the mods.. If anything here is out of order, please let me know :)

/JediMark
jedimark

Machine: Remstar System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Swift FX
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby Perrybucsdad » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Mark... Just curious... you say that the data card will only record 7 days of detailed information (for Resmed S9). Can you or someone tell me what size card that is and can I get longer detailed data if I increase the card size?? Just curious as I am looking at the S9, but have not been able to find information regarding this.

Thanks,

John
Perrybucsdad

Postby Owly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:14 pm

So this is where you got off to. I thought I lost you! :-?

I have just recently started on cpap and even more recently received my data capable PR machine. I'm still learning the ropes with interpretation.

What is pressure pulse and is it usually as widely varient as mine has been--from 18 to 107 within one week?

Also, what is the flow rate measuring and why is the line on the chart darker (heavier) at the beginning of the night?

Thanks for the program and the answers!
Owly

Machine: Phillips Respironics REMStar Pro
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest

Re: SleepyHead Software OS platform question

Postby zephyr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:04 pm

I wasn't sure from the site which OS's are supported. I'd want build for windows XP.
Resmed S9 Elite / Humidaire H5i Heated Humidifier
Swift LT nasal Pillow mask
diagnosed Sept 2010
zephyr

Postby Purrceyz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Mark,

I'm another DeVilbiss IntelliPAP user (my older machine was a Remstar but I like the IntelliPAP much better.). Please consider extending your program to cover these machines.
Purrceyz

Postby randycoxclemson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:26 am

I just got another CPAP machine (had one in 2008 and gave it up when insurance stopped paying their 80% of the rental). Anyway, I was curious about the data on the SD card and found this neat software. Then I found this really cool software.

However, I don't know what a lot of the terms (specifically, the graph titles and scales) mean. Also, how does the software (or the SD card) determine when you "start sleeping?" I see lots of adjustment spikes in my graphs during the time I'm setting up the machine and starting to get situated in bed. Then, sometime later, my numbers indicate to me that I am, actually, asleep.

Any way to find out the terminology, scales, and actual sleep times (and wakings during the night) into the software?
randycoxclemson

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask: Fisher Forma
Humidifier: H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2008

Postby N2N » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi Mark! You are a celebrity in our house, the guy with the health history just like mine, who wrote the software that's helped me at least get the apnea part back under control.

I had a couple suggestions and a couple questions.

I'm wondering how to uninstall the software. I ask because SH stopped recognizing data from my S1 after a few nights, and I wonder if something got corrupted. I went to install/uninstall SH and couldn't find any such option - neither in your menus, nor in Windows7's uninstaller. How do I uninstall, erase all settings, and start anew?

Aside from starting over, any suggestions for this non-recognition thing? I know my new night's data is on the card because the data shows up in other software, but not in SH anymore. SH says: "no data found in that location". I've tried copying the folders to another folder, renaming, pointing SH to different subfolders, but it won't bite.

My first suggestion is to make the link to contribute to support the project easier to find. We found it, but it took some searching.

My second suggestion is to keep the sheep. It's listed as just a temporary logo. Say it isn't so! It was an instant favorite of everybody in the house.

Best,

Art
N2N

Machine: S1 auto in cpap mode
Year Diagnosed: 2001

Postby N2N » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi Mark, Still out here trying to solve the following. Please advise? Thanks....

--> "I'm wondering how to uninstall the software. I ask because SH stopped recognizing data from my S1 after a few nights, and I wonder if something got corrupted. I went to install/uninstall SH and couldn't find any such option - neither in your menus, nor in Windows7's uninstaller.

-->How do I uninstall, erase all settings, and start anew?"
N2N

Postby SleepyToo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Try going to the SleepyHead support page - check the "about" section in the program, or google sleepyhead then look for support on whatever page comes up that mentions sourceforge and sleepyhead on the same page.
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Postby N2N » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Tried all such approaches. Thanks.
N2N

Postby SleepyToo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 pm

OK. Have you made sure that you follow the instructions to the letter? I am sure you have, but just to be sure... I have not had any problems with getting help from the support page myself ... Other ideas: Try searching on Google for "uninstall sleepyhead cpap software jedimark" and you may find some helpful links.

Finally, I have also had success with other programs with using Revo Uninstaller and having it search for stray bits of the program after it has done the main uninstall. A search for "Revo Uninstaller" should get you to the site. I don't recall whether there is any charge for it, but as I said it is a useful program!
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Aloha nasal pillows
SleepyToo

Postby atlfuzzy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm off to search for the sleepyhead software page.......since I've just discovered that Encoreviewer is not compatible with Mac OS. Hoping sleepyhead will be.........
atlfuzzy

Machine: Philips Remstar Pro C-flex Auto1Q
Mask: Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions