SleepyHead Software

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

• Site Supporter

Re: SleepyHead Software

Postby atlfuzzy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:12 pm

okay don't shoot me...in my haste I missed a few posts here, since you've mentioned Mac, I assume it's compatible......now just looking for download/purchase site.
atlfuzzy

Machine: Philips Remstar Pro C-flex Auto1Q
Mask: Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby robysue » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:45 pm

atlfuzzy wrote:I'm off to search for the sleepyhead software page.......since I've just discovered that Encoreviewer is not compatible with Mac OS. Hoping sleepyhead will be.........

Yes, SleepyHead is available for the Macs. I've got it installed and running on a Mac OS 10.5.6 machine. And it will certainly run on anything MORE up to date than my machine.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby Nathan22 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:33 am

I'm seeing this exact same behavior with Sleepyhead 0.8.7 on a Mac (Snow Leopard) with my brand new PRS1 BiPAP AutoSV. Sleepyhead import appears to load with no complaints, no error messages, and a barely visible flash of a progress bar at the bottom (I only have 1 day of data so far!)... but no data shows up. As I mentioned in the bug report comment, Encore Viewer 2.0 is also failing to import the SD.
This will be VERY helpful to me if I can figure it out. I started using a system one machine in October, have been using a CPAP for approx 5 years. I would very much like to review the data so I found this site, downloaded this software, inserted my SD card, verified there are folders and data on it, then tried to import that data. A green bar quickly displays across the bottom of the screen as if it is importing but no data shows up.
Any help getting my data imported to this very useful software would be greatly appreciated
Nathan22

Postby Todzo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:59 pm

jedimark wrote:Hi,

My name is Mark, and I am the developer behind the open-source cross-platform program called SleepyHead.

I thought I better come say hello at this forum, as SleepyHead has got a few mentions scattered around.

I "suffer" from OSA, as well as daily fatigue, pain and concentration issues. The doc put me on CPAP in the hopes controlling the OSA would lessen the other symptoms. It hasn't helped all that much yet, but I do now have a much more positive outlook.. By sticking to CPAP and improving my sleep habits, there is at least one aspect of my health under control.

SleepyHead came about because no software was available for Linux that allowed me to track my progress with CPAP treatment.

I have a very keen interest in issues surrounding sleep medicine. This project has allowed me to be proactive regarding my treatment, and satisfied an inner curiosity as to how these machines work on a technical level in the treatment of sleep apnea and related disorders.

If you have any questions about SleepyHead software, either usage or otherwise, please feel free to post them in this thread..
I'll do my best to answer what I can.

/JediMark

Hi jedimark!

Recently I have become aware of my tendency to breath more than I should (just south of hyperventilation) and that CPAP tends to make that worse since it is so much easier to inhale. I would like a way to better monitor this. I know that professional software can give you a breath by breath analysis of what is going on. I wonder if the data could be integrated into a line representing the air going through our lungs in liters per minute? If so, I would find it useful to help me know that what I am doing is effective and/or if I should get to the doctor.

Thanks Much!!

Todzo
AHI=52 SpO2 Nadir=55% (!!!) Focus & Vigilance problems w/PTSD from Trauma
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Pulse oximeter CMS-50-F, night audio recorded via Audacity or Linux “sox”. Zeo.
Todzo

Postby robysue » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 am

Todzo wrote: I know that professional software can give you a breath by breath analysis of what is going on. I wonder if the data could be integrated into a line representing the air going through our lungs in liters per minute? If so, I would find it useful to help me know that what I am doing is effective and/or if I should get to the doctor.

SleepyHead shows the wave form data that is recorded on the S9 Elite, AutoSet, VPAP machines and the wave form data that is recorded on the PR System One Pro, Auto, BiPAP, and BiPAP Auto machines. The wave form shows you the flow of air (in L/min) into and out of your lungs for each and every breath you take if you chose to zoom in close enough.

The apneas and hypopneas that the machine detects are flagged on the wave flow so they are easy to find and zoom in on. There is also a nice "events" table similar to the one in Encore Viewer so that you can quickly see an over view of when any clusters of events happened to occur.

I'm pretty happy with SleepyHead and I've been using it for several months now. It's come a long way since JediMark first started working on it as a way to look at his own data on a linux machine. SleepyHead runs nicely on both Windows PCs and Macs as well as the linux PCs that jedimark first wrote it for.

robysue

Postby Todzo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:47 am

robysue wrote:
Todzo wrote: I know that professional software can give you a breath by breath analysis of what is going on. I wonder if the data could be integrated into a line representing the air going through our lungs in liters per minute? If so, I would find it useful to help me know that what I am doing is effective and/or if I should get to the doctor.

SleepyHead shows the wave form data that is recorded on the S9 Elite, AutoSet, VPAP machines and the wave form data that is recorded on the PR System One Pro, Auto, BiPAP, and BiPAP Auto machines. The wave form shows you the flow of air (in L/min) into and out of your lungs for each and every breath you take if you chose to zoom in close enough.

The apneas and hypopneas that the machine detects are flagged on the wave flow so they are easy to find and zoom in on. There is also a nice "events" table similar to the one in Encore Viewer so that you can quickly see an over view of when any clusters of events happened to occur.

I'm pretty happy with SleepyHead and I've been using it for several months now. It's come a long way since JediMark first started working on it as a way to look at his own data on a linux machine. SleepyHead runs nicely on both Windows PCs and Macs as well as the linux PCs that jedimark first wrote it for.

Hi robysue!

Right you are. As I actually get around to downloading and using SleepyHead (I use Linux so build was required) I find that all the information I wanted is there and in a form I can really use. The ability to highlight a area and immediately see all the graphs move to show the area is very useful indeed.

Being able to add my pulse oximeter data to the mix should well complete me being able to find times of over breathing. This I could never do with Encore viewer.

You Rock JediMark!

Todzo
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Todzo

Postby digidoc664 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Mark, have posted under “Sleephead Data Questions” my concern, but here I wanted to thank you for making your software available to us. It is very complete and useful, providing several ways to view our data. You say that your personal need prompted development of the SW, but you (out of sense of humility, I’m sure) omitted highlighting your curiosity, natural bent towards problem-solving, trained and practiced skills, and a desire to give rather than take. I believe I can speak for others also - we greatly appreciate your generosity because it saves us money, immediately, and a long-term dependence upon the Encore SW process. Altruism and generosity are apparent in fewer places/people than in more prosperous times, so your gift is a “bright light” in these dim times. Thank You.
digidoc664

Machine: Philips Respironics System One-250P
Mask: ComfortLite 2
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Joeski1962 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for this software. I love to look at data like this. I'm so tired of being so tired I hope this can help me find something to fix me.
Joeski1962

Postby Daniel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:01 pm

digidoc664 wrote:Mark, have posted under “Sleephead Data Questions” my concern, but here I wanted to thank you for making your software available to us. It is very complete and useful, providing several ways to view our data. You say that your personal need prompted development of the SW, but you (out of sense of humility, I’m sure) omitted highlighting your curiosity, natural bent towards problem-solving, trained and practiced skills, and a desire to give rather than take. I believe I can speak for others also - we greatly appreciate your generosity because it saves us money, immediately, and a long-term dependence upon the Encore SW process. Altruism and generosity are apparent in fewer places/people than in more prosperous times, so your gift is a “bright light” in these dim times. Thank You.

'Jedimark' is not a member of this forum.
He was banned some time back for agressive/unacceptable comments directed at the ASAA, owners of the forum.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby Todzo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:34 pm

digidoc664 wrote:Mark, have posted under “Sleephead Data Questions” my concern, but here I wanted to thank you for making your software available to us. It is very complete and useful, providing several ways to view our data. You say that your personal need prompted development of the SW, but you (out of sense of humility, I’m sure) omitted highlighting your curiosity, natural bent towards problem-solving, trained and practiced skills, and a desire to give rather than take. I believe I can speak for others also - we greatly appreciate your generosity because it saves us money, immediately, and a long-term dependence upon the Encore SW process. Altruism and generosity are apparent in fewer places/people than in more prosperous times, so your gift is a “bright light” in these dim times. Thank You.

Hi,

[Moderated. Breach of posting guidelines]

The solicitation of sleep apnea products and treatment services is not permitted. The ASAA reserves the right to remove and restrict comments which are clearly efforts to solicit the sale of sleep apnea products or services by those with a commercial interest. Again, this does not mean you cannot mention brands or experiences with products. Also, links to websites which require or solicit email addresses will be moderated.

In a strange way the political problems involved here bring up an interesting point about OSA. It affects relationships!! I think that part of it is a bit of a disconnect with the ability to feel other peoples feelings if you will. I believe I have noticed that within myself quite often. It makes me feel strangely distant and kind of disabled in a social way.

I hope all of us do what we can to repair any relationships we had a hand in breaking or at least leave the door open to reconciliation.

With Hope!

Todzo
Todzo

Postby Chuckrok » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 am

Mark!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

I'm preping for a visit with my GP, and your SleepyHead software was exactly what I was looking for.

-Charles

EDIT: Whoops! I see that JediMark is no longer a member. So let this be a message to everyone....read everything posted before you reply. = )
Chuckrok

Machine: IDK...but it's grey!
Mask: Nasal Only...
Humidifier: Yep, I got one of those.
Year Diagnosed: 2012

My day is off...

Postby Sleepymedic » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:27 pm

All,

Just DL'ded the SleepyHead Software, huge thank you to JediMark for the labor of love - amazing data capture indeed!

I'm looking to fix Sleepyhead's merging of two calendar days of data. I slept Sunday woke at 0400 hrs to go to the firehouse for work. Monday (yesterday) I had the day sleep, down at 1100 hrs and slept until 1830. Sleepyhead has smooshed this data into one continuous sleep for over 9 hours.

As an aside, can I print one session of data? I wish to print the day sleep I had yesterday, as it was the first time I took my CPAP unit to the firehouse, and my AHI was higher by far...

Cheers,

Ian
Firefighter/Paramedic

Newly diagnosed OSA w/ AHI 52.49
PR FitLife or Hans Rudolph 7600 V2 (depending on my mood)
ResMed S9 AutoSet VPAP (max of 22)
Sleepymedic

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto BiPAP
Mask: Hans Rudolph 7600 V2
Humidifier: H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: My day is off...

Postby Todzo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Sleepymedic wrote:All,

Just DL'ded the SleepyHead Software, huge thank you to JediMark for the labor of love - amazing data capture indeed!

I'm looking to fix Sleepyhead's merging of two calendar days of data. I slept Sunday woke at 0400 hrs to go to the firehouse for work. Monday (yesterday) I had the day sleep, down at 1100 hrs and slept until 1830. Sleepyhead has smooshed this data into one continuous sleep for over 9 hours.

As an aside, can I print one session of data? I wish to print the day sleep I had yesterday, as it was the first time I took my CPAP unit to the firehouse, and my AHI was higher by far...

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian!

For whatever reason I have never printed data from SleepyHead. If I get rambunctious later today I may try that and get back to you.

Stress (and a high "on alert" state) will tend to cause more inflammation and more apneas. It will also tend you toward ventilatory instability which can cause hypocapnic central apneas. You might try eating some good Salmon or a few fish oil pills to fight the inflammation (Q3s - any anti-inflammatory food is likely to help). At the station, as you are going to sleep, concentrate on breathing quietly as you do so.

For that matter, anyone who is or has been part of special forces or the like can probably give you some much better hints than I.

May you find very good rest and be up to each challenge that finds you.

Todzo
Todzo

Postby complex13 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:08 am

Hi! my sleepyhead redline pressure graph keeps shooting up past 20cm so many times it's a big mass of read. is that the machine treating my centrals? I'm showing these unspecified apnea events and hypopneas but no OSA. I use the latest beta version. the resmed adapt is difficult to sleep on.
complex13

Postby robysue » Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 pm

complex13,

What does SleepyHead report for your Apnea Index. If I recall the Resmed ASV machines do NOT distinguish between OAs and CAs since the presumption is that folks who are on these machines are likely having CAs more than OAs. So what's your AHI? And how much of the AHI is the AI? And how much is the HI?

As for getting used to sleeping with the ASV. Yes that can be difficult. And unfortunately that means working with your sleep doctor's office. And you've not had much luck so far working with the sleep doc.

My guess is that you are approaching the sleep doc's with a laundry list of issues that are not well organized and include a random collection of medical symptoms, some of which are not caused by your central sleep apnea (CSA). I also suspect that you still do not fully understand what your diagnosis is, how it differs from the more common OSA, and how the ASV is supposed to help you.

Here's my first suggestion: Write down the issues you are having with your diagnosis and adjusting to the ASV and what you've done to try to address the problems. Don't speculate about what's causing the problems---just write them down in simple language: From what I've seen in your posts, this seems like the main things the list should contain:

1) I do not understand how the ASV is supposed to treat my Central Sleep Apnea. Can you explain each of my prescribed settings and what the machine is supposed to do when I quit breathing at night.

2) I am not yet sleeping the whole night with the ASV. I wake up very uncomfortable and find myself ripping the mask off. I've tried taping the mask on and that didn't work. I've tried changing to the Fit Life mask, but it was uncomfortable because it felt like I didn't get enough air. I've tried other masks (name them) and they are uncomfortable because there is too much air coming through the mask.

3) Would it be OK to try slightly lower pressure settings until I start sleeping through the night? If so, how low should I set the EPAP? How low should I set the min PS? How low should I set the IPAP?

And that's all you should have on the list for your next meeting with the sleep doc or his PA or nurse practitioner.

Now since it also appears that you have no idea what's happening to you when the CSA kick in and no idea of how the ASV machine is supposed to fix the problem, I will try to give you this much insight about both central sleep apnea and the machine you are using.

The basic problem in central sleep apnea is what can be described as a Undershoot/Overshoot cycle as far as the nighttime CO2 levels are concerned. That is for whatever reason, you stop breathing as you should. This is the initial UNDERSHOOT side of the cycle. When that happens, the CO2 builds up in the blood stream until your body finally kicks in and restarts respiration. However, since the CO2 has built up abnormally high you start to slightly hyperventilate and blow off too much CO2. This is the OVERSHOOT side of the cycle. You blow off too much CO2, and this reduces the respiratory drive and that sets the stage for another UNDERSHOOT side. On the UNDERSHOOT side of the cycle, your breathing becomes shallower and shallower and may stop altogether---i.e. you have a central apnea. At the end of the central apnea, you start breathing, but you hyperventilate again (the OVERSHOOT), which sets up the next UNDERSHOOT, and the cycle repeats.

The ASV machines are designed to treat central sleep apnea by monitoring how often you breathe and how much air you are inhaling. And it tackles treating the CSA with two tactics.

First, when you have not taken an inhalation in a certain amount of time, the machine will try to trigger an inhalation by rather drastically increasing the IPAP and then (at a set time frame) lower the pressure back down to your EPAP setting. If breathing does not resume, it will continue to try to trigger inhalations at a fixed 'breaths per minute rate' by first increasing the IPAP and then reducing the pressure back down to the EPAP. In other words, the machine will try to make sure that your lungs have enough O2 coming in to maintain your O2 levels while at the same time trying to insure that you will retain enough CO2 to trigger the breathing pattern. Both BiPAP S/T machines and ASV machines have this capability. Regular BiPAPs (including the BiPAP Auto), APAPs, and CPAPs doe NOT have this capability to trigger a patient to inhale.

But the ASV machines go a step further in treating Central Sleep Apnea: An ASV machine will, in essence, try to fix the central sleep apnea by eliminating the repetitive Undershoot/Overshoot cycle that sets up in central sleep apnea. To break this repetitive cycle, the ASV monitors your tidal volume since the tidal volume is a good indicator of how much CO2 you are blowing off with each exhalation. Low tidal volumes indicate that you are starting to drift into the UNDERSHOOT part of the cycle---i.e. you are not blowing off enough CO2. And when the ASV determines that you are not going to meet the target tidal volume on your own, the ASV quickly increases the IPAP pressure over a series of inhalations until it helps ascertain respiration even when you are not breathing as you should. This respiration allows your body to blow off enough CO2 so that you do not kick into the OVERSHOOT side of the cycle. Indeed, the machine is known as Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) because the unit adapts to your breathing style and includes the timed response. They are the only machines designed to treat sleep disordered breathing with this capability.

The downside, of course, to the ASV's ability to break the Undershoot/Overshoot cycle that characterizes central sleep apnea is that the necessary algorithm requires rather dramatic and sudden increases in IPAP pressure. That's why your IPAP is going as high as it is: The machine is trying to do its job and break up the Undershoot/Overshoot cycle that is developing in your breathing pattern while you are asleep. But those sudden increases in pressure also can be very disruptive to sleeping. And it just takes time and hard work---most likely with some help from your sleep doc, to figure out how to sleep with these sudden and drastic pressure swings.

robysue

PreviousNext

• Site Supporter