• Site Supporter

Sleeping with Mouth Open...

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Sleeping with Mouth Open...

Postby libertino85 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:44 pm

If my mouth opens, just a little, will it reduce the effectiveness of CPAP?

How much effectiveness will be reduced?

As long as I'm NOT snoring anymore while the CPAP is on, doesn't this mean that my obstruction is clear?
libertino85

Re: Sleeping with Mouth Open...

Postby Daniel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:46 pm

libertino85 wrote:If my mouth opens, just a little, will it reduce the effectiveness of CPAP?

How much effectiveness will be reduced?

As long as I'm NOT snoring anymore while the CPAP is on, doesn't this mean that my obstruction is clear?

How much is just a little. If your mouth is open throughout the night, while using a nasal mask then cpap will have a reduced effect. If however your mouth only opens slightly for short periods during the night the effect should be minimal.

The amount of reduced effectiveness....................how long is a piece of string ? It would be very hard to judge, however if you have a data card facility on your machine (and of course depending on the machine) it will tell you. Really I don't think it's something that can be judged approximately.

One of the first signs of the need for a new titration study is the return of snoring, so If you snored 'pre cpap' and you subsequently started snoring again while using cpap, then I think you would have a problem and require a consultation with your sleep doctor.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby lynn321 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:01 pm

a chinstrap doesnt work for some of us so we tape out mouths, which sounds dangerous, so we dont officially recommend it but we are all still alive so far

if the lips are only slightly apart, this allows the high pressure air to leak out so there is little or no benefit

full face masks werent around back when I started but probably theya re best for everyone
lynn321

mouth tape

Postby libertino85 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:41 pm

Although it is not recommended, I did tape my mouth closed last night. I used that white, vinyl bandage tape that one buys at the pharmacy.

I must say, despite how silly I felt, it really helped out. I had one less thing to worry about, which allowed me to sleep more soundly. Didn't have to worry about air leaking out of my mouth.

It is my opinion that it would be better to tape the mouth rather than use a full mask so that the body can get used to breathing through nose while sleeping.

But tell me, why is it not recommended to tape the mouth shut? Are there any dangerous side effects (other than looking a bit dramatic/silly)?

Which is the best tape to use for this? Or will any tape do?
libertino85

Postby chowdogz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:22 pm

I find that if I put my tongue towards the roof of my mouth that it seals the air in.
Sometimes I still wake myself up "whistling" out my mouth but not very often.
It works for me....
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.
chowdogz

Postby rested gal » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:14 pm

There are some interesting discussions about trying to control mouth air leaks at this clickable link:

Links to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
rested gal

Taping Mouth

Postby xpogi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:48 pm

I have been CPAP/ Nasal Pillows user for about six months. Early on I found that the only way I could keep my mouth shut was with tape. I tried several techniques and ended up overlapping two strips of 3/4 inch wide "Nexcare Flexible Clear" tape with a 1/4" wide strip of tape applied facing the adhesive in the center. That way the adhesive actually doesn't stick to my lips which makes removal easier in the morning. I survived a power failure one night with no ill effects so I don't really think there is a safety issue. I just woke up!

Sometimes when my wife is out of town I just use a single piece of 3/4 inch tape vertically across my lips but I find that I need to tape my mouth entirely shut to avoid making a "PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTT" sound occasionally when I exhale which my wife finds most annoying.
xpogi

Anything besides tape???

Postby libertino85 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 am

I've been using tape for a few days. But I've been frustrated that after several hours the tape detaches -- due to my dribble :oops: . The tape I use states that it's "water proof." (obviously not dribble proof :lol: )

Should I experiment with different tapes, use MORE tape, or what?

Is there anything else I could use? Maybe denture adhesive :?:

Another post said to use a hair band. I'm not sure what that is. Could someone describe it in more detail so I can go out and get one?

Thanks.
libertino85

Try a Hybrid mask....

Postby TedG954 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:07 pm

I just switched to a Hybrid mask because my mouth would open. I hated the chin strap so I researched alternatives. The Hybrid works great. Not cheap, but worth it to me. Good luck.
As a Christian, you may be the only bible someone ever reads.
TedG954

Re: Anything besides tape???

Postby rested gal » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:50 pm

libertino85 wrote:I've been using tape for a few days. But I've been frustrated that after several hours the tape detaches -- due to my dribble :oops: . The tape I use states that it's "water proof." (obviously not dribble proof :lol: )

Should I experiment with different tapes, use MORE tape, or what?

Is there anything else I could use? Maybe denture adhesive :?:

Another post said to use a hair band. I'm not sure what that is. Could someone describe it in more detail so I can go out and get one?

Thanks.

Yes, experiment with different types and brands of tape. And yes, experiment with something like Polident denture adhesive strips (no kidding!)

The best holding tape I ever used was Tegaderm. Came in a patch that I could cut in half and still cover the entire mouth. It's expensive. Best way I found to remove Tegaderm was to poke a hole in the middle of it with my finger to get a place to begin the peel off. My only problem was Tegaderm caused a rash if I used it more than two nights in a row. Others could use it fine. Everyone's mileage seems to vary as to which tape holds best for them and which irritate the skin or not. Try different kinds.
rested gal

Re: Try a Hybrid mask....

Postby Will » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:50 pm

TedG954 wrote:I just switched to a Hybrid mask because my mouth would open. I hated the chin strap so I researched alternatives. The Hybrid works great. Not cheap, but worth it to me. Good luck.

Same here -- started out with a chin strap and a nasal mask, switched to full face masks, and am now a hybrid mask newbie (have had mine 3 days, since Thursday). The chin strap didn't work for me, and the whole tape thing just seemed to be an unnecessary source of frustration and problems when I was already struggling with CPAP.

Libertino, if you have the opportunity, you might want to see about switching to a FF or hybrid mask. At least maybe go into the place you got your equipment from and check out what they have.
Will

Location: DFW, Texas - * REMStar Pro M, Hybrid Mask/Liberty Mirage, pressure 10 - CPAP'in since 10/2000

Re: Try a Hybrid mask....

Postby xpogi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:18 pm

Will wrote:
Same here -- started out with a chin strap and a nasal mask, switched to full face masks, and am now a hybrid mask newbie (have had mine 3 days, since Thursday). The chin strap didn't work for me, and the whole tape thing just seemed to be an unnecessary source of frustration...

Will, a couple questions:
Is the hybrid OK for folks that sleep on their backs and sides?
What brand are you using?

PS: Very much enjoyed your web site, especially the music. And I though my office was cluttered and I only have three guitars! :-D
By the way, although we may have taken opposite routs (I was raised fundamentalist and converted to the Catholic faith) I believe we are on the same journey. Peace be with you +
xpogi

Postby Will » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:08 pm

Thanks :) Actually I've thinned out the guitar herd quite a bit over the last couple of years, they were taking up too much room and I barely had time to play one or two, let alone 16 or whatever I was up to. I need to post some new office/studio pics, my site is pathetically out of date!

I'm only aware of the one hybrid mask, http://www.hybridmask.com/index2.htm. That's the one I bought. I bought it from an online retailer, but can't post the link obviously since it is against forum rules. Like most masks, sleeping on your back works the best with the hybrid, but last night I started on my side and didn't have a problem. I'm sure someone else who has had their hybrid longer than I have can chime in, but I don't see that side sleeping would be an issue. The only potential annoyance would be the positioning of your pillow(s) (the real pillow, not the nasal pillows). Because the air vents straight out, if your pillow bends up and gets in the way you could possibly get annoyed with the noise of air hitting the pillow. For myself, on my side I usually prop against one pillow and then just put my head on the edge of the pillow under my head so there is nothing blocking the air venting out and the pillow is not bending back up against the mask.
Will

Location: DFW, Texas - * REMStar Pro M, Hybrid Mask/Liberty Mirage, pressure 10 - CPAP'in since 10/2000

I also have the same hybrid....http://www.hybridmask.com/ind

Postby TedG954 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:44 pm

I wish I could fall asleep on my back, but I end up feeling compelled to roll over onto my stomach. I found success with both the Swift nasal pillows and the Hybrid. The Swift required a chin strap and I ended up getting the Hybrid. I don't seem to have any serious problems sleeping on my stomach with the Hybrid. Good luck.
As a Christian, you may be the only bible someone ever reads.
TedG954

Postby RoseRein » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:45 am

I'm new to this group. I have been on my CPAP for a week now. - Thank you so much for this topic. I seem to have become a mouth opener since having gastric bypass (I never noticed it before my surgery). That was part of the reason I went in for the sleep study.

I will definitely try the 'tape'. I figure my 'looks' while I'm sleeping really don't matter to anyone anyway as they are all sleeping, too.

Rose from PA
RoseRein

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions