Sleep Apnea and the Military

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Re: Sleep Apnea and the Military

Postby greatunclebill » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:55 pm

TomF1961 wrote:If any one out there knows when the military started diagnosing and treating severe sleep apnea, I would appreciate the info - especially if it is after June 1999!!!!!!

in 1990 right before retirement i was sent to wilford hall medical center at lackland air force base, texas and tested for sleep apnea in the sleep lab. i did the first night without cpap but didn't have time to have the titration study with the cpap before my approved retirement date. the next appointment was a month or two later and it would have fallen after retirement. as you know, once you get a retirement date approved, they can change it but you can't. so the military was testing, diagnosing and treating sleep apnea as far back as 1990.

USAF MSgt (E-7) Retired 1 oct 1990
greatunclebill

Machine: RP sys one auto w/a-flex model 550P
Mask: quattro fx full face
Humidifier: yes sys one
Year Diagnosed: 1990

Postby mike41374 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I love your attitude ,strength is very well in your work u have done great job thanks for sharing
mike41374

Machine: 1992
Mask: 1990
Humidifier: YES
Year Diagnosed: 1986

Postby cobykarl » Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

+ 1, your strength is inspiring....keep up that good attitude and you will continue to do great things in this life.
cobykarl

Postby infantry831 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:23 pm

I am a service member that just received my results, My civilian off post doctor will explain next month during a follow up, But my TBI doctor wants results monday which I have. I dont know what Im reading maybe someone can help.

Impression: Moderate obstructive sleep apnea with respiratory disturbance index of 15.8 per hour of sleep.
The patient had a apnea hypopnea index of 6.3 per hour of sleep
The lowest oxygen saturation was(greater than or equal to 2 seconds) 88%
The patient spent 0.2 min below 90% oxygen saturation

The total arousal index was 20.3

total time in bed was 411.0 min and time slept was 384.0 min, sleep latency was 25.0 min and REM was 144.0 min There was 173 arousals and 16 awakenings. Sleep efficiency was 93.4% there was 16.5% N1 sleep, 57.2% N2 and 12.6% N3 there was 13.7% REM sleep.

0 obstructive, 1 central, and 0 mixed apneas. There were also 39 hypopneas and 61 RERAs. The respiratory disturbance index including all these events was 15.8 per hour and the apnea-hypopnea index was 6.3 per hour. The average duration of respiratory events was 24.8 sec and longest was 99.5 sec in duration

Respiratory events were most prevalents during REM sleep and the REM AHI was 9.1 per hour. Baseline saturation was 94% and the lowest oxygen saturation was (greater than or eual to 2 seconds) 88%.

Sooooo what does all this mean? Do I have sleep apnea or not? Please inform me if you know what all this means.

Very Respectfully
David
infantry831

Year Diagnosed: 2012

PostThis post was deleted by Daniel on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 am.
Reason: Duplicate Post. See 'Does this conclude thatr I have sleep apnea'

Postby SolSionnach » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi David!
Yes, you have sleep apnea. Your AHI (Apnea Hypopnea index) of 6.3 is above the 5 that is considered normal. 15.8 means that it is moderate (up to 30 is moderate, above that, severe).
Your numbers remind me of mine: AHI 7.4, RDI 22, lowest O2 sat: 91%
While our numbers are not the cataclysmic numbers that some people have on this board, in my experience they are plenty high enough to cause severe fatigue, and likely physical deterioration.

It seems that most of your 'events' are hypopneas and reras, which (if I understand it) are kind of 'apnea-lite'. But they still count toward your having sleep disturbances.

If you aren't already on a CPAP, I suggest you talk to your doc about what kind of therapy you should get based on these numbers.

Hope that helps!

Julie
SolSionnach

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset Escape
Mask: Resmed Swift FX for her
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby Chuck41962 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:49 am

I am a Veteran also I am reading a lot of people having the same stuff that I have.
VA Hospital says I have sleep apena and machine has never helped me.
My O2 level was also low during the test. Funny part the doctors never seemed worried about my o2 level going low.
First visit the doctor said I didn't have sleep apena then back tracked. Said I only had it on my back.
I had to have two test. I didn't think I sleep much at all during both test. How long does a person need to sleep to get a full results.
I have acid reflux and sinus bad.
I am not currently using the machine.
I have told my doctors everything but they don't seem to be interested in having another test done or follow up. Another reason why I stopped using the machine.
I have a real hard time falling asleep always have. I feel tired then lay in bed and get wide awake.
I have taken sleeping pills in the past.
Going to try and get a copy of records when I go back to VA,
Chuck41962

Machine: Phillips Remstar Pro C Flex + 450P
Mask: Full Mask.
Humidifier: Yes System One Remstar
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby Sleeptech01 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 am

Hello Chuck 41962,

I am a sleep tech, thought maybe I could answer a few questions. For a diagnostic test, we typically only need a few hours of SLEEP to make a diagnosis of sleep apnea. For a treatment study, we like to see 4-6 hours of sleep. I would have to see your results to specify on your O2 levels dropping.
Sleeptech01

Machine: N.A
Mask: N.A
Humidifier: N.A
Year Diagnosed: 0000

PostThis post was deleted by Daniel on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 am.
Reason: No relevance to thread

PostThis post was deleted by Daniel on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:43 am.
Reason: Posts requesting information/interviews must receive prior approval from the ASAA

PostThis post was deleted by Daniel on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:38 am.
Reason: Duplicate Post. See Help Forum

Postby porkchopakuma » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:00 pm

So last night I had my first Sleep Study. I know I have some problems with snoring so my wife advised me to have it checked out. I was prior military and still have a claim that is in process. So I decided to have my Doctor schedule me for a sleep study at a local VA Hospital. The study was everything I expected. Only thing was strange was that the sleep study tech administrator woke me up at 5am and said I was done and that I did not have sleep apnea. I asked how did I sleep, which then the tech replied with " you woke up a quite a few times, your heart stopped once and your breathing paused about 4 times and you snore very load and profusely, but I don't see you have any sleep apnea problems". i ask for how long did my heart stop? He just smiled and said under 3 seconds and my breathing stopped a little under 10 seconds. WTF? They did not give me any documents when i requested them. All they told me was that they will send them to my primary care provider. Any suggustions.
porkchopakuma

Postby truckerdad57 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

porkchopakuma.

Go to the sleep studies forum and review the stickie on requesting copies of your sleep study.

obtaining-copies-of-your-medical-records-t21834.html

Even the VA is subject to HIPPA and will have to give you a copy of the full report. I am surprised the tech giving you the study said what they did. Normally you want to see the full scoring of the study and have it reviewed by a sleep doc before you make a definitative statement like they did.

post what your primary care provider says.. and post it as a new thread.

Thanks
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Postby Jimr2010 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi, New to the site and recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I am Active Duty in the Army (NCO). I have been in for 9 years. I have always had stellar PT scores averaging over 270. Problem: I have always had issues with weight. I've always been taped right at the cut off of my BMI (24%). I am into endurance athletics (no sprinting for me). I can run ultramarathons. I am not a sloth, but pack on the lbs in my belly. I've been on the overweight program off and on throughout my military career. I've always blamed myself for this and my lack of discipline and it has now got to a point where I'm seeking mental health counseling as I feel like a total failure. A medical doctor that I saw yesterday told me that my sleep apnea was a big factor with my weight issues and that is why I have been unsuccessful with losing weight. I went in to get my antidepressants filled and walked out with a profile to lose weight in a healthy manner instead of the 30lbs I've been told to lose in four weeks. Needless to say my profile sent my Command into a frenzy they rejected it along with my quarters slip. I have hit rock bottom. I don't care if they do it, I'm just happy that I can see that there was a legitimate medical reason. My sleep apnea is moderate and I start my CPAP today. My question is can you be kicked out for being overweight although you just got diagnosed with sleep apnea? I am not flagged right now, but I will be. I was flagged two years ago and came off the program within a month. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jimr2010

Postby Catalytic » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 am

Jim, with the way things are right now, I wouldn't put it past them to flag you. We're supposed to drawdown over 30k soldiers, and any PERCEIVED slackers will be at the top of the list. I am only a spouse (my husband is also an NCO, but he is sleeping so I can't ask him about this right now), but I would suggest you talk to your doc, your chaplain, and possibly IG. I don't believe your command can simply discard a doctor's order. IG would be more able to assist with whether you can be kicked out w/ a profile. This is (once again) the new Army, and with the budget cuts, and constant rumors, you are better to go get advice from someone in the know with the way things are currently. I suspect, however, that the OSA isn't going to be taken into consideration regarding the weight issue. It should be, but probably won't be. How is your tape RIGHT NOW? Do you make it? If so, that may give you time to make up your sleep debt and lose some of the extra weight. Good luck to you, I know how difficult it is.
Catalytic

PreviousNext

• Site Supporter