Shallow breathing

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

Shallow breathing

Postby Cathach » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:58 pm

I have a recently been told I have OSA and have started treament CPAP. It has helped A LOT and am starting to feel like myself again. However, my wife tells me that although I have stopped snoring, I am still breathing very shallow. I myself have noticed that when I first lay down with the mask on I can take deeper than normal breaths and it helps me fall asleep. My normal breathing is still really shallow and I am wondering if this will improve over time with CPAP use. Any ideas?
Cathach

Postby lynn321 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:20 pm

someone will hopefully tell us the normal number of breaths per minute when asleep, but I suspect its fairly repid and shallow
deep slow breathing helps most of us to relax and get off to sleep easier

if theres still any snoring, your CPAP isnt working properly
lynn321

Postby Linda » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi Cathach,

I suppose it could be normal for you to breathe better with the cpap mask, don't know.
But if you feel your daytime breathing continues to be shallow, you might see a pulmonary physician, to get checked out, to make sure there isn't something else causing it. It may be fine, but if you are worried, it might be good to get checked out.

Linda
Linda

Postby Cathach » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:25 pm

Member now yeah!
Anyway, it could be that I have always breathed shallow not really sure. I have done some work with vocal arts, you'd think I would know what is normal. I'm just wondering; if I am breathing so shallow while sleeping, is the CPAP working to it's full potintial? Should I have another finger blood o2 sat. done now with the help of CPAP?
Cathach

Postby lamplighter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:29 am

I have been wondering the same thing! Sometimes I feel like I am hardly breathing, but the oxygen sats are up to 98 and 99% so I guess it must be alright. I suppose with the air being forced into the lungs we won't die from shallow breathing. I don't worry about it anymore.
lamplighter

Postby Cathach » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:45 pm

good to hear that I am not the only one. Guess I can stop worrying too
Cathach

shallow breathing

Postby goodsleep » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:47 pm

I breathe much shallower using a cpap. This has happened over a couple of years of using the machine. I don't feel quite as rested as when I first started using the machine.
goodsleep

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:57 pm

I guess one would need to count the number of breaths per minute then find out the normal range and see if you are OK, I think most people breathe shallow when asleep

Postby sholdaj » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:51 am

I just started CPAP about a week ago, and I'm still not used to it...how long did it take everyone else to get used to it?

I noticed my breathing is much more shallow, too. I guess functional logic would show that breathing in has a maximum limit of pressure it can draw, so adding a positive pressure inside the pulmonary tract would decrease how much of a "breath" you can draw in. It seems like a necessary evil to me, I suppose.

However, I also know that I got my O2 sat's checked with CPAP.
sholdaj

Postby CarlRPSGT » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:53 am

sholdaj wrote:I just started CPAP about a week ago, and I'm still not used to it...how long did it take everyone else to get used to it?

Time to become used to the cpap will vary for everyone. The real questions for now are - 1. do you feel better? 2. do you keep the mask on all night?
If the answer to either question is yes, then you are on the right track. If you answer yes to both, then you are ahead of the game and just need to keep doing what you are doing.
Happy CPAP'ing
CarlRPSGT

Doesn't your body regulate the amount of air you need?

Postby TedG954 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:56 am

Just like how your lungs crave air during exertion, I would think that you are breathing more shallow because that is all your body requires while sleeping. I note my own shallower breaths in the morning vs first going to bed. I don't think it's a problem. Am I wrong?
As a Christian, you may be the only bible someone ever reads.
TedG954

Postby sholdaj » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:40 pm

I made it 6 hours last night without tearing the mask off - first time I've made it over 2 hours. It sounds like I'm on the right track!

Thanks CarlRPSGT!
sholdaj

Re: Doesn't your body regulate the amount of air you need?

Postby sholdaj » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:53 pm

TedG954 wrote:Just like how your lungs crave air during exertion, I would think that you are breathing more shallow because that is all your body requires while sleeping. I note my own shallower breaths in the morning vs first going to bed. I don't think it's a problem. Am I wrong?

I do know that your breathing is directly tied to your heart rate / output. If you think about it, breathing faster would give you more oxygen, and thus your heart would need to move blood through your lungs faster in order to absorb all of the available oxygen.

From what I understand though, sleeping is usually characterized by slower, longer deep breathing.
[Sleeping is "parasympathetic", which means that you should be relaxed and providing minimal exertion. In contrast, a "sympathetic" response would have you breathing short, fast shallow breaths. Imagine when you get scared/surprised, and you say "My heart is racing" - you're also breathing very fast.]

I think you're right about the fact that your body needs less oxygen, since you're not being very active. As long as the breathing isn't rapid, then I suppose it wouldn't really be a problem.

*By the way - sorry if I'm being overly analytical in my response. But if I said anything incorrectly, please let me know - I'm currently studying for the MCAT's, and I'm hoping that I've got a pretty good grasp on this... :-D
sholdaj

Shallow breathing

Postby EMG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:28 pm

I started CPAP about a week ago. My Titration indicated a pressure of 10. The mask is a bit of a bummer, but I'm getting used to it. I am highly motivated 'cause I want to feel better so I have persisted with the full face mask. Most nights it is on 6+ hours. EXCEPT I now find i'm shallow breathing and am quite breathless - today especially. I don't know if there is something Cardiac going on, i am scheduled for a stress test, but not sure if I should do this with current breathing situation. (have a call into my Dr.) Has anyone stopped CPAP and if so did the breathing go back to normal? How long did it take? I really find this shallow breathing uncomfortable and I feel awful. I thought I was doing well with the CPAP and actually thought I was feeling better after a couple of days, BUT now i'm not so sure... comments invited...
EMG

Postby tenor71 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm a little worried too.

I'm in the same boat, and after my follow-up sleep study, my titration was bumped from 8 to 14.

I'm also on Atacand for High Blood Pressure.

With the combo of CPAP and BP Meds, my BP is back to normal, but will be seeing the physician in the next month for follow-up.

Anyways, I also get bouts of laboured breathing at times. Somewhat uncomfortable. It's like it takes an effort to take a deep breath. Shallow breathing is fine, but of course, personally noticably NOT normal.

I've been on CPAP for about two months now, and sleep all night with it. It was bumped to 14 just two weeks ago, and the laboured breathing started about a week or so ago. Not constant, but more frequent now.

I feel like !@#!, bouts of dizziness, and sometimes feel like a fog is around my brain.

I wonder if the CPAP is making my diaphragm 'lazy' due to the titration, or is it the BP meds? I have some of the side effects, and some not listed...so I am somewhat concerned.

Anyone have something similar? (i.e. I even have very mild anxiety attacks while driving now).

Strange and worrisome.
Thanks For reading everyone!
tenor71

Next

• Site Supporter