• Site Supporter

rosacea and mask irritation

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

rosacea and mask irritation

Postby dafinn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:44 pm

I have been using my CPAP machine and a full face mask for about 3 months. I have a facial skin condition called rosacea and am using a topical ointment called Metro Gel daily for treating it. I have developed a red irritation on the bony part of the bridge of my nose and I think it's more related to having the rosacea than from just the irritation caused by the pressure of the upper part of the mask on the bridge of my nose. Has anyone else had to deal with this problem and what might I be experiencing that may not at all be related to the rosacea?
dafinn

Postby lynn543 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:52 pm

irritated skin and red marks are common from the masks, so are small airleaks
you may be better with a mask that has 2 prongs that stick into your nostrils, and a chinstrap to keep your mouth closed, theres info about rosacea on the net

I was lucky and originally got a mask that fitted well and have used the same type of mask for 6 years, but often several masks need to be tried before finding 1 that you like and can live with

its important to be fitted by someone who does know what they a re doing, is patient and friendly and has a wide range of masks from different makers available

you dont need to use a mask from the company that made your CPAP

its said that the newer masks are now much better generally than the older ones
lynn543

Roscea and Strap Irritation

Postby semicolon » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:47 pm

I have just started using CPAP with the Swift Nasal Pillows. I'm doing pretty well with the treatment, however, where the strap comes around my cheeks to attach to the nasal unit, it rubs and I have gotten those deep, pimple like sores on both cheeks beside my nose.

I have tried to stuff toilet tissue under the entire strap on both sides, and I am hoping I will get no more problems. For the time being, I am trying to treat the two sores I have.

I really like the nasal pillows, but I am not happy with the strap at all.

Barbara
semicolon

Postby lynn543 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:30 pm

to semicolon
try rubbing face cream or skin lotion into the face before bed maybe you have an allergy to the elastic??
lynn543

Similar Issues

Postby bcr8ive » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:57 am

I have had similar issues with my masks (have tried 4 so far). It is a catch 22 - your rosacea might be made worse by the lack of oxygen, but the mask irrates your face, so you don't wear it. The nose bridge issues can be helped by an adjustable forehead piece.
bcr8ive

Rosacea and mask irritation

Postby semicolon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. At least I'm not the only one with this problem! ;-)
semicolon

Postby christine » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:00 pm

I have roscea and I've been on BiPAP ST for almost 2 years. It can be a hassle trying to keep the masks from irritating our skin more then normal but here are a few things I find that help:
-make sure you wash your mask cushion every day with a mild cleanser (I use the same one I use on my face)
-wash your face with a mild cleanser before going to bed- I find my rosacea does better if I wash my face an hour or so before bedtime and apply my prescription Metrogel then
-use any creamy type treatments or products in the morning
-rotate a couple different types of mask- when I started I used an Ultra Mirage and a Simplicity, now I use Swift nasal pillows and Comfort Curve....I always figured I didn't like wearing the same pair of shoes everyday because they can rub funny so why should I wear the same mask night after night?
-wash your headgear regularly in a mild soap and make sure it is rinsed completely out
-if you notice anything more then mild irritation (ie-marks that don't go away in a couple of hours other then the bridge of your nose...that one is hard to avoid completely with most nasal masks) switch masks for a couple of days to let it calm down without irritating it more.
-check the fit of the mask & headgear- most masks do better a little loser then what you would think.
-consider modifying your headgear...I did that with some of my first nasal masks since the headgear was too long at the back of my head...the one size fits all doesn't always work. Some materials may do better against your skin then others- you can try hand sewing/tacking a different type of fabric to the headgear where it touches your face...ultrasuede or even peachskin would be nice...or you could use silk if you want a natural fabric
-if you have any open areas from were the mask rubs stop using it until the area is well healed and then carefully try using it, monitoring for any problems. Treat any open areas regularly with antibiotic cream
-some people find putting a bandaide or moleskin (Dr Scholl's- made for blisters) on the bridge of their nose helps- I was never able to do this since I am extremely allegic to adhesives. Some have experimented with putting the moleskin on the mask cushion too.
-for mask that go into the nose like Breeze & Swift, use a little Ayr saline gel or KY Gel to lubricate your nares to avoid irritation

If you continue to have problems don't hesitate to take your mask to show your dermatologist- they know more about dealing with rosacea and may be able to recomend something to help in your particular situation. Your sleep doc & DME can make suggestions about mask fit and such but if that has been eliminated as a problem the dermatologist is your best answer.
christine

• Site Supporter