RESPIRONICS RESTAR PRO SYSTEM SHUT DOWN

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

RESPIRONICS RESTAR PRO SYSTEM SHUT DOWN

Postby daveindy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:35 pm

I am having alot of trouble with my machine. I am currently on my second and needing a third machine in less than a year. The first four or five months everything is fine but then it happens... the machine turns itself off and attempts to reboot itself. Over time the frequency of this increases untill it begins trying repeatingly to start air flow and after the third attempt it alarms and displays service needed multiple times though out the night and unpluging it is the only way to stop and reset the system. I though maybe the card was bad so I removed it but the system still persisted on trouble. Thinking it was the humidifier, I turn it off and still not resolve. I am out of options and was wonder if anybody has had or heard of this happening.

Its driving me mad. The machine shuts down and I wake gasping for air multiple times in the night.

My machine is a remstar pro c-flex + model 450p
daveindy

Postby whizbang » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:45 am

I have an older Remstar Pro+ machine as well. I didn't have that problem. Mine had another fialure crop up. I took it in to my DME who sent it to Repironics who fixed it for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Yours sounds busted. Why not send it in for a repair quote?
whizbang

Re: RESPIRONICS RESTAR PRO SYSTEM SHUT DOWN

Postby jamiswolf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Dave,
I'm going to suggest that you check out the electrical outlet. Older houses often have worn out outlets that can break continuity fairly easily. It might explain your problems. Your machines should certainly last longer then that. That's the only thing I could think of rather then bad luck. Hope you get the problem resolved.
James
jamiswolf

Machine: PR System One
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Clay L » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Is "Auto Off" turned on?
I had some weird things happen when it was turned on with mine. I think a mask leak was shutting it down.
Respironics REMstar AUTO A Flex System One
Pressure = 8 to 11.5
C-Flex = 2

Mirage Quattro FFM
Clay L

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Sam thing here Clay...my auto off caused issues. Also, my M series BiPap had a bad adapter/ power supply and needed to be replaced...though I think PR has 'fixed' that issue a few years ago.
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby CrohnieToo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Well, we are hearing of problems w/the new PR SystemOne PAPs having problems w/shutting themselves off and sometimes but not always starting themselves up again despite AutoStart and AutoStop being turned off. Philips has been replacing them. To the best of my knowledge this was happening w/the early models, those w/no backlight for the LCD, but I think I read of at least one of the newer models also having the problem tho I won't swear on that.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Shawna1000 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:19 pm

I have had this same issue with my machine - thought it was just a quirk!!! I am travelling internationally next month, and plan to do so w/o the humidifier, so it's smaller. I took the humidifier off last week to see if I could still sleep comfortably. No beeping since then.... still, it should work either way.
Shawna1000

Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby sannajane » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:31 pm

I used my REMstar Pro C-Flex+ for 45 days - no problem. Went in for checkup on stats, etc. at the medical supply. She increased my pressure, supposedly the only alteration to the programming. Even since then, the machine alarms in the middle of the night - using all of the manual-mentioned alarms! Starts with single beep, goes to double, and eventually just beeping constantly. The LCD still shows the pressure rating, no alarm statuses. Have to turn it off, unplug it, wait for it to quit beeping, then it runs the rest of the night just fine. We've tried 3 separate machines since this problem. All the same. Starting tonight, changing power outlet used - suggestd by jamiswolf above.

Anyone else have this problem?
sannajane

Machine: Respironics REMstar Pro C-flex+
Mask: Fischer - Zest

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 am

SannaJane, what's your TRUE leak rate? Have your DME provider do a full data download. The method of reporting leak rate on these new PR S1s sucks big time. You don't know the true situation w/o seeing the download page w/the graphs, page 4 of the download. A few major leaks can be the cause of the alarms but w/no leaks other than those short term few the reported leak rate is reported as okay for the night. Keep in mind the reported leak rate is the 90% AT OR BELOW which you spent most of the last 7 or 30 nights. Fat lotta good THAT kind of reporting does!!!! The PR engineers must have had their head in a pot cloud when they came up w/that idea. Sheesh!

AND another STUPID idea they came up with for the AutoOff:

Auto Off......poorly worded choice....set to ON means if the machine senses a large leak for more than a few minutes it will turn itself off and do a barely discernible "beep, beep, beep"/
......set to OFF... means the machine will remain ON in spite of large leaks for prolonged times. If the machine turns itself off with this setting...problem with machine.
CrohnieToo

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:38 am

I just thought of something. I don't know about the PR S1s but the Resmeds have a setting for Reminders, i.e. new mask, turn data card in, etc. that can be turned on. W/the Resmeds it just comes on the LCD screen and flashes (at least the S8s do, I can't speak for the S9s). I wonder if the PR S1s also have Reminders that can be set and maybe the Reminders when due will cause a beep, beep to catch our attention? Probably not but ....

The Respironics software engineers aren't the brightest candles on the cake but the PAPs themselves are darn good PAPs providing excellent therapy and I find it hard to believe that someone would get two or three defective PAPs in a row. An awful lot of local DME RRTs aren't the brightest candles on the cake either when it comes to many of the options provided and don't know diddley-squat about setting up the PAPs except what's on the Quick SetUp Guide. I'd be more inclined to question the setup options by the RRT if I got a second, much less a third, "defective" CPAP from them.
CrohnieToo

Postby sannajane » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 am

Okay - I gotta confess! My husband will never let me live this one down. And I don't think I'll tell my med supply person! I have a small combination clock & weather center, situated on my night stand next to my CPAP. Well, I never use the alarm clock part of it. My toddler grandson loves to push buttons! Are you getting the picture?? The button for turning on the alarm is on the side - he must have been exploring... so all this time I thought my CPAP was alarming, it was the #*&@ alarm clock! Do I feel foolish!

Thanks for the responses! And by the way, I love my CPAP. Don't think I ever want to be without it. It's like my pacifier! (There's the grandson reference again....)

Sanna
sannajane

Machine: Respironics REMstar Pro C-flex+
Mask: Fischer - Zest

Postby Fliehigh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:24 pm

That is TOOOO funny, but glad it is not your PAP machine. :-)
Fliehigh

Machine: Resp System One AFlex
Mask: Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes Built in Heated

Postby CrohnieToo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks for sharing and giving us a good laugh!!!! As Fliehigh said we're glad it wasn't a sick, defective PAP playing tricks on you.
CrohnieToo

Postby Flame » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:44 pm

I am having a similar problem with my machine. I have only had it for around 6 weeks or so. One night I woke up at 4am with water all over my face and with the liner soaked. The machine turned itself off or maybe I never turned it on? Another night, a buckle on my headgear became dislodged so I woke up with the machine off though I have the auto/on off turned off.

I can't hear the alarm to same my life!!!
Complex Apnea AHI: 78.1
Periodic Limb Movement: 118

REMstar AVAP
Flame

Machine: Respironics AVAP with humidifier
Mask: Resmed Quattro Full Face FX
Humidifier: Respironics

Postby el_bandito1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:30 am

I'm having the same problem. Driving me nuts. Auto-on/off are off. Been using this for about 4 months with great results. But recently constantly rebooting. Took it to tech yesterday and he 'tested' and said fine ... HA!! now it reboots after only 20 minutes. I thought i might have been creating leak via flow through (in nose out mouth... i find that happens a couple times when settling in) but last night i didn't even get near asleep and it just goes 'reboot'.

I have respironics remstar auto a-flex.

Even tried plugging it into my power strip to no avail. And then i thought, maybe is something w/ the 'auto' so i switched it to CPAP (don't tell my technician taht i know how to adjust my own machine...). And no difference.

Concluded it's simply faulty and it's being swapped out on thursday... but that's two days of no sleep. UGHHH...

Any other brilliant ideas out there?
el_bandito1

Machine: respironics remstar auto a-flex
Mask: hmm... nose
Humidifier: yes

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions