Resmed Software

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

• Site Supporter

Resmed Software

Postby jyl 13 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I am fairly new to Sleep Apnea and have learned so much from this forum, thank you! I was initially given a 'brick' from my DME but after reading on here I learned I needed a machine with full data capabilities so I called my doctor and I just received a Resmed S9 Elite. If someone could help me with the software I would be really appreciative. Thank you in advance for your help!
jyl 13

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask: Fitlife Full Face
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: Resmed Software

Postby CrohnieToo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Until you can find access to ResScan software for the Resmed S9 Elite you could try downloading and using the SleepyHead shareware. People who are using it are very happy with it! jedimark has done a fantastic job developing it and it is compatible w/the PR devices as well.

You can find the URL for downloading SleepyHead here in this Monitoring Your Treatment forum somewhere. Just check thru a few of the threads.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby robysue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Googling the two words, SleepyHead CPAP should give you a link right to SleepyHead's download page.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby jyl 13 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for the help!
jyl 13

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask: Fitlife Full Face
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby trebons » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm

It sadden me you can,t provide the link to ResScan or SleepyHead software just talking in riddles it,s somewhere. What,s the secrecy for, it,s monitoring your treatment after all and if not suppose to link the software than how can one download the software let alone discuss anything. It,s not about changing one,s own pressure , it,s just additional information to machine data why you deny what you have already.
trebons

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask: Nasal

Postby robysue » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:49 am

trebons wrote:It sadden me you can,t provide the link to ResScan or SleepyHead software just talking in riddles it,s somewhere. What,s the secrecy for
Forum rules are fairly strict about linking to outside websites---particularly websites that have .com at the end. Hence, I'm always reluctant to list the link since it may be moderated out.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that it's sad that I and others feel this way.

Maybe one of the moderators could chime in and let us know whether links to the ResScan and SleepyHead software are allowable under forum rules.

robysue

Postby trebons » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:20 am

robysue wrote:
trebons wrote:It sadden me you can,t provide the link to ResScan or SleepyHead software just talking in riddles it,s somewhere. What,s the secrecy for
Forum rules are fairly strict about linking to outside websites---particularly websites that have .com at the end. Hence, I'm always reluctant to list the link since it may be moderated out.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that it's sad that I and others feel this way.

Maybe one of the moderators could chime in and let us know whether links to the ResScan and SleepyHead software are allowable under forum rules.

Thanks robysue for the clarifications. It does help for moderators to explain the confusing situation as this forum advertise Pappillow store .
BTW i have enjoyed reading your blog adventure, it,s wealth of information and recommend anyone to read it.
trebons

Postby Daniel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:04 am

Before looking at individual rules and guidelines, I think it important to look at the forum (as a whole), who owns it, who directs it and what it's here for.

The forum is owned by and directed by the ASAA. The ASAA is a 'not for profit' organisation and must comply with certain rules and regulations to maintain that status.
The forum is the only 'NON COMMERCIAL' forum dealing with Sleep Apnoea and the efforts of the ASAA to keep it that way are to be commended. After all, the easiest thing in the world is to permit commecrcial linking, get as much revenue as possible and cut back on moderation.

A small change in this area came about last September when the new forum software was introduced.
This allowed for 'Banner Advertisement', which can be seen below each topic. These advertisements are vetted by the ASAA, are paid for and give much needed revenue to the ASAA.

As it stands the ASAA offer an open forum where people can come in the knowledge that they are getting unbiased information and advice. Rules and Guidelines are required for this.
The forum was launched almost 7 years ago, and during that time we have had a number of reviews of our guidelines to ensure that we keep up to date.

Guidelines are fairly straight forward (see below).
We don't allow links to sites that have a 'storefront' or 'shopping basket'......usually '.coms'......under the heading of links we include 'URLs', ot language such as 'dot com' etc.
We do not allow the 'promotion of products'.....brand names can be mentioned, patient experience with them......but obvious promotion of them is out.

Commercial Links* and Solicitation:
No commercial links are to be posted on the forum. The American Sleep Apnea Association does not promote or endorse a particular brand, manufacturer, or vendor of sleep apnea products. Posts that contain commercial links will be moderated. (A commercial link is defined as a link to a for profit website that has a storefront) This does not mean that you can not mention brand names, or experiences you have had purchasing or using equipment.
Note that posted language that represents commercial links is also not permitted. Posts which direct people to commercial websites (i.e. use of "dot com" or other similar wording) will be moderated.

The solicitation of sleep apnea products and treatment services is not permitted. The ASAA reserves the right to remove and restrict comments which are clearly efforts to solicit the sale of sleep apnea products or services by those with a commercial interest. Again, this does not mean you cannot mention brands or experiences with products. Also, links to websites which require or solicit email addresses will be moderated.

Websites or Blogs operated by Patients or Medical Professionals:
Links to websites or blogs operated by patients or individual medical professionals will not be permitted. Also, excessive promotion of these types of websites will not be permitted. The ASAA provides this forum website as a source of open discussion. This forum does not monitor, endorse or promote individual expressions of related issues provided on other private websites. Therefore, posts which provide links to or promotes these types of websites will be moderated.

Linking to sites (as quoted above) are not permitted. This includes links to sites that offer downloads etc.
Over the past number of years we have had to moderate posts from medical professionals, dentists, homeopathic practitioners, bed manufacturers, online pharmacies etc etc and quite a few have been banned from the forum.
The Treatment Monitoring Forum was opened late last year. A certain amount of leeway was permitted in relation to promoting and advice on particular open source software. It should be noted that some of the information posted about this and other products was incorrect. Sleepyhead software only went 'Beta' in the second week of January 2012......not earlier, as was mentioned in a few posts. So, in effect, members of this forum have been used as 'testers' or 'guines pigs'. Even the Beta software has some bugs still in it.

I should also mention that the Sleepyhead software developer had to be banned from the forum, following some very unsavoury and aggressive comments about the ASAA and Moderators. This happened while he was attempting to actively promote his trial software on our forum (not even Beta).

At present there is a certain amount of product promotiuon on this forum. Moderators are presently awaiting further guidance from the ASAA in this regasrd.

Posts about CPAP adjustments and self-treatment:
Although the ASAA advocates being proactive in ones treatment, we can not advocate or encourage making pressure adjustments or other CPAP clinical adjustments without consulting with your physician. Please do not post instructions or how to guides for making adjustments or entering clinician menus to make adjustments. We thank you for your understanding. Do not post links to clinician menus or similar menus not authorized for access by manufacturers; these sorts of posts will be moderated.
The ASAA advocates being proactive in ones treatment by coordinating patient medical treatment with qualified and knowlegable healthcare professionals. Being proactive in ones treatment is not the same thing as self-treating or self-medicating ones medical condition. Self-treatment/medication is defined as treatment without medical care. People owe it to their health and well-being to coordinate their medical care with healthcare professionals familiar with their medical history. We do not want readers of this forum to be convinced, from comments advocating self-treatment, to ignore or forego medical consultation and treatment. Self-treatment/medication is a private, individual choice. Forum discussion promoting self-treatment and self-medication may be moderated. Your cooperation with this is greatly appreciated.

These guidelines are self explanatory. In a forum, such as ours, we must protect the weakest link in the chain....usually someone starting out on the treatment journey, or someone who has multiple issues or can't get to grips with what they are facing. We try hard to ensure that only medically proven treatment methods are discussed and that members are not given false hope by unproven or quack methods.

These are the rules, we sign up to them when we join the forum.....and IMHO they do serve us very well.

I hope that this explains the position.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby trebons » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:08 am

Quote "The Treatment Monitoring Forum was opened late last year. A certain amount of leeway was permitted in relation to promoting and advice on particular open source software. It should be noted that some of the information posted about this and other products was incorrect. Sleepyhead software only went 'Beta' in the second week of January 2012......not earlier, as was mentioned in a few posts. So, in effect, members of this forum have been used as 'testers' or 'guines pigs'. Even the Beta software has some bugs still in it."
Hi Daniel
What is the position on ResScan, No bugs?
trebons

Postby CrohnieToo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 am

ResScan software is specifically listed by the manufacturer (Resmed) as being available ONLY by or upon the advice of a physician.

Thus this forum can NOT condone or promote the method(s) for obtaining a copy.

It is intended for "professional" use only.

There are those of us who have gained access to it by somewhat "dubious" means.
CrohnieToo

Postby robysue » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Daniel,

I've read and re-read your post. But for the life of me, I still cannot tell whether links to download either the ResScan software or the SleepyHead software are allowed. I assume the answer is still NO. But I would like to have some insight into exactly why links to these two pieces of software fail to meet the moderators' criteria for allowable links.

The download link for ResScan is buried deeply on the Resmed web pages, and the Resmed web pages do have that .com suffix. The ResScan download is a free download and Resmed once upon a time was willing to distribute ResScan openly to patients. Of course now, ResScan is only marketed towards sleep professionals, but Resmed has not yet denied knowledgeable patients the ability to download the software: Downloading ResScan does not require any kind of special access codes, email addresses or anything else. But downloading ResScan does require that you find the page with the link. And unfortunately, the web page with the download link to ResScan is very hard to find on your own: It does NOT turn up in routine Google searches for the words ResScan download. So just how is a newbie supposed to go find the download link to ResScan since it's so well buried that the standard Google search fails to turn it up?

The download link for SleepyHead is on a well-known .net software site that allows programmers to distribute their software. The host site for SleepyHead is not a commercial site; rather it is more of a clearinghouse: This site allows each individual programmer to decide whether their software will be available for "free" (as with SH) or whether a person must pay for the download. Among many other things, this site is designed specifically to allow a programmer to release software in the testing stage so that interested folks who are willing to use beta and pre-beta software can find the bugs and have a means for reporting the bugs to the developer so that they can be addressed. And so I remain confused about whether a link to SH download is "ok" or not because SleepyHead is not commercial software and because the software site you obtain it from is a .net site.

And I'll offer this for what it is worth: When I was a newbie back in August 2010, this site was the first OSA/CPAP users forum I discovered. At the time, I thought it was great. This site taught me enough to allow me to insist on getting a full data machine and it taught me how to get copies of my sleep study reports. And I am still grateful for that help.

But I grew very, very frustrated at reading post after post talking about ResScan, but with absolutely NO information anywhere on how I could obtain this wonderful and necessary piece of software for monitoring my therapy. And I continue to see this same kind of frustration on the part of newbies almost every time I come here. Posts from newbies with the question, "Can anybody tell me how to get the software for my machine?" pop up time and time again. And they are largely left unanswered or they are answered vaguely with a "google it". And my guess is that y'all lose a certain percentage of newbies over this issue.

I can only speak directly for myself: You almost lost me completely over this issue. After asking about how to obtain ResScan over here and being told nothing useful, I did turn to Google. After much inefficient Googling over a three week period, I eventually found another CPAP forum where links to the software can and are openly posted whenever folks ask for them. And as my prolonged and difficult adjustment to PAP therapy continued for months and months, I increasingly found that it was easier to follow through with the help and suggestions I received on the other forum, where links to things could be posted, than it was to follow through with the help and suggestions I received over here: The suggestions I received here often required me to do additional Googling to find the necessary links for things that were being suggested. Now, Googling shouldn't have been such a huge issue for me, but at the time I was severely sleep deprived from the CPAP-induced insomnia, and that made even the simplest Google searches much more difficult.

And the net result of all this? I eventually became a very active member at the other forum and I continue to visit it almost daily, but my participation here has become sporadic: I come here when I've got some extra time for a week or so when things are not too busy, and then don't come back for several weeks or months when I get busy. And I often see posts that I'd love to respond to, but since I can't link to my own blog (for insomnia questions and for questions about what all the numbers on the sleep study report mean) or JanKnitz's blog (for questions about full efficacy data machines and how to obtain one), I often just don't respond: I simply don't always have the time to copy and past the same (longish) posts over and over again, and so I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Questions and comments concerning the sites where SH and ResScan are available
Daniel wrote:.Guidelines are fairly straight forward (see below).
We don't allow links to sites that have a 'storefront' or 'shopping basket'......usually '.coms'......under the heading of links we include 'URLs', ot language such as 'dot com' etc.
Neither the site that hosts the ResScan download nor the site that hosts the SleepyHead download have "storefronts" with "shopping baskets." ResScan's host site is a .com--- since it is on a buried page on the Resmed web site. SleepyHead's host site is a .net site, not a .com.

No commercial links are to be posted on the forum. The American Sleep Apnea Association does not promote or endorse a particular brand, manufacturer, or vendor of sleep apnea products. Posts that contain commercial links will be moderated. (A commercial link is defined as a link to a for profit website that has a storefront)

Resmed is clearly in business to make money, but their website is not designed to sell their products directly to patients. There is a wealth of useful information on their web pages designed to educate and inform Resmed users both about OSA in general and about important aspects of their Resmed equipment in particular. For example, there are clear, concise user-oriented explanations of what EPR is and how EPR works and how the Auto algorithm responds to events. There are tables that clearly show which models are and are not data capable---tables that newbies fighting with DMEs should know about so that they can print them off and take them to the DME to show the DME that a S9 Escape does NOT provide any useful data for example. And yet, because these are on a .com site that is largely an advertising site for Resmed, I've never been comfortable posting them here. (Same thing applies to the main PR site: there's lots of useful info about the particulars of C-Flex and PR's Auto algorithm, but Encore can't be downloaded from the PR site.)

The software site that hosts SH is not a "for profit website that has a storefront." It is a clearinghouse that allows programmers to distribute their software. Programmers are allowed to charge for their software, but many, if not most, of the programmers using this site to distribute their software are distributing it for free. Mark Watkins charges nothing for SH downloads; indeed SH is distributed with a GNU General Public License (GPL).

The solicitation of sleep apnea products and treatment services is not permitted. The ASAA reserves the right to remove and restrict comments which are clearly efforts to solicit the sale of sleep apnea products or services by those with a commercial interest. Again, this does not mean you cannot mention brands or experiences with products. Also, links to websites which require or solicit email addresses will be moderated. (emphasis added)

Obviously, the Resmed site as a whole is designed to advertise their products, including their sleep apnea products. The link to the ResScan download leads directly to a fill-in form that must be completed before download can begin. One required field is indeed an email address. So I guess that's enough to make it off limits for us to post links to the ResScan download page?

The site that hosts the SH software is a clearinghouse site for software developers to distribute software. Clearly this site has no commercial interest in the sale of sleep apnea products or services. Nor does Mark Watkins since he does not sell SleepyHead. The site that hosts the SH software does not require a person to register in order to download software. Nor does this site require or solicit email address before a user is allowed to download software. You click on button and the SleepyHead download starts---there are no forms to fill out at all. I will admit that if you are a programming junkie or if you're someone who wants to actively participate in a reporting bugs and in helping Mark fix those bugs, there is link to join a SH mailing group. But you actively have to look for this link----it's not something that is stuck in your face.

robysue

Postby Daniel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:32 pm

I've read and re-read your post. But for the life of me, I still cannot tell whether links to download either the ResScan software or the SleepyHead software are allowed. I assume the answer is still NO. But I would like to have some insight into exactly why links to these two pieces of software fail to meet the moderators' criteria for allowable links.

The download link for ResScan is buried deeply on the Resmed web pages, and the Resmed web pages do have that .com suffix. The ResScan download is a free download and Resmed once upon a time was willing to distribute ResScan openly to patients. Of course now, ResScan is only marketed towards sleep professionals, but Resmed has not yet denied knowledgeable patients the ability to download the software: Downloading ResScan does not require any kind of special access codes, email addresses or anything else. But downloading ResScan does require that you find the page with the link. And unfortunately, the web page with the download link to ResScan is very hard to find on your own: It does NOT turn up in routine Google searches for the words ResScan download. So just how is a newbie supposed to go find the download link to ResScan since it's so well buried that the standard Google search fails to turn it up?

Lets start with Sleephead software. The download comes from a site that is owned by or participated in by a 'patient' or 'sufferer' of sleep apnoea. Links to this site are in breach of our guidelines.
With regard to Rescan, I am not familiar as I don't use....or in fact any software.
To the best of my knowledge, Rescan is for medicxal specialists.............maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right then the ASAA can't promote its use by patients.
Maybe there is a reason that google doesn't show up this link.

The download link for SleepyHead is on a well-known .net software site that allows programmers to distribute their software. The host site for SleepyHead is not a commercial site; rather it is more of a clearinghouse: This site allows each individual programmer to decide whether their software will be available for "free" (as with SH) or whether a person must pay for the download. Among many other things, this site is designed specifically to allow a programmer to release software in the testing stage so that interested folks who are willing to use beta and pre-beta software can find the bugs and have a means for reporting the bugs to the developer so that they can be addressed. And so I remain confused about whether a link to SH download is "ok" or not because SleepyHead is not commercial software and because the software site you obtain it from is a .net site

Regardless of domain name (.net, .com, .org), linking to this site is in breach of guidelines.
Regardless oif guidelines, I have stated clearly that the duty of the ASAA is to the weakest link in the chain...........to allow promotion or downloads of 'untested' software would be extremely negligent.
People who are willing to use pre beta software will know where to find it. If the ASAA allow links for its download (on their forum) it can be seen to be a form of promotion........that is not acceptable.

And I'll offer this for what it is worth: When I was a newbie back in August 2010, this site was the first OSA/CPAP users forum I discovered. At the time, I thought it was great. This site taught me enough to allow me to insist on getting a full data machine and it taught me how to get copies of my sleep study reports. And I am still grateful for that help.

But I grew very, very frustrated at reading post after post talking about ResScan, but with absolutely NO information anywhere on how I could obtain this wonderful and necessary piece of software for monitoring my therapy. And I continue to see this same kind of frustration on the part of newbies almost every time I come here. Posts from newbies with the question, "Can anybody tell me how to get the software for my machine?" pop up time and time again. And they are largely left unanswered or they are answered vaguely with a "google it". And my guess is that y'all lose a certain percentage of newbies over this issue.

In all forums, people come and go. In quite a large number of cases they get bored, their therapy works, they get tired of the same questions, the same arguments etc.....that is life.
Software, licenced, pirated, open source....whatever is not the whole story in compliance and monitoring.
We do lose quite a few members on an ongoing basis, we also seem to be able to replace them. Again, that is life.
I firmly believe that it is our stance on these issues that makes our forum. It appears to me that this is what the bulk of people want.

I can only speak directly for myself: You almost lost me completely over this issue. After asking about how to obtain ResScan over here and being told nothing useful, I did turn to Google. After much inefficient Googling over a three week period, I eventually found another CPAP forum where links to the software can and are openly posted whenever folks ask for them. And as my prolonged and difficult adjustment to PAP therapy continued for months and months, I increasingly found that it was easier to follow through with the help and suggestions I received on the other forum, where links to things could be posted, than it was to follow through with the help and suggestions I received over here: The suggestions I received here often required me to do additional Googling to find the necessary links for things that were being suggested. Now, Googling shouldn't have been such a huge issue for me, but at the time I was severely sleep deprived from the CPAP-induced insomnia, and that made even the simplest Google searches much more difficult.

I know that forum, I am also a member, as with a number of forums. That is the line that they want to take. The ASAA don't.

And the net result of all this? I eventually became a very active member at the other forum and I continue to visit it almost daily, but my participation here has become sporadic: I come here when I've got some extra time for a week or so when things are not too busy, and then don't come back for several weeks or months when I get busy. And I often see posts that I'd love to respond to, but since I can't link to my own blog (for insomnia questions and for questions about what all the numbers on the sleep study report mean) or JanKnitz's blog (for questions about full efficacy data machines and how to obtain one), I often just don't respond: I simply don't always have the time to copy and past the same (longish) posts over and over again, and so I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

As I have already stated, the guidelines on linking to patient's blogs are clear....and for good reason. If only you could see what goes on behind the scenes on this forum. The amount of spam, bloggers and the like that are stopped at source before they get a chance.....we have had instances of people copying selective posts to their blogs.
I am aware of your activity on other forums, and I applaud you and anyone else who gives of their time and knowledge.....but the guidelines on other forums are different.
I have been around the forums for about 12 years now, and I have seen one forum in particular, completely destroyed through commercialk linking, spam etc. In the early days it was the forum that helped me most.

Questions and comments concerning the sites where SH and ResScan are available
Daniel wrote:.Guidelines are fairly straight forward (see below).
Neither the site that hosts the ResScan download nor the site that hosts the SleepyHead download have "storefronts" with "shopping baskets." ResScan's host site is a .com--- since it is on a buried page on the Resmed web site. SleepyHead's host site is a .net site, not a .com.

No commercial links are to be posted on the forum. The American Sleep Apnea Association does not promote or endorse a particular brand, manufacturer, or vendor of sleep apnea products. Posts that contain commercial links will be moderated. (A commercial link is defined as a link to a for profit website that has a storefront)

Resmed is clearly in business to make money, but their website is not designed to sell their products directly to patients. There is a wealth of useful information on their web pages designed to educate and inform Resmed users both about OSA in general and about important aspects of their Resmed equipment in particular. For example, there are clear, concise user-oriented explanations of what EPR is and how EPR works and how the Auto algorithm responds to events. There are tables that clearly show which models are and are not data capable---tables that newbies fighting with DMEs should know about so that they can print them off and take them to the DME to show the DME that a S9 Escape does NOT provide any useful data for example. And yet, because these are on a .com site that is largely an advertising site for Resmed, I've never been comfortable posting them here. (Same thing applies to the main PR site: there's lots of useful info about the particulars of C-Flex and PR's Auto algorithm, but Encore can't be downloaded from the PR site.)

The software site that hosts SH is not a "for profit website that has a storefront." It is a clearinghouse that allows programmers to distribute their software. Programmers are allowed to charge for their software, but many, if not most, of the programmers using this site to distribute their software are distributing it for free. Mark Watkins charges nothing for SH downloads; indeed SH is distributed with a GNU General Public License (GPL).

I honestly don't believe that you have read the guidelines.
As regards the developer of Sleepyhead, we had to ban him because of his views, his absolute wish to use this forum to promote and trouble shoot his pre beta software without fear of being moderated and finally his insulting and demeaniung comments about the ASAA........I really don't care what your arguments are.....nobody here will tolerate his activity.
The 'Treatment Monitoring Forum' is currently being reviewed. We will have to wait and see.

The solicitation of sleep apnea products and treatment services is not permitted. The ASAA reserves the right to remove and restrict comments which are clearly efforts to solicit the sale of sleep apnea products or services by those with a commercial interest. Again, this does not mean you cannot mention brands or experiences with products. Also, links to websites which require or solicit email addresses will be moderated. (emphasis added)

Obviously, the Resmed site as a whole is designed to advertise their products, including their sleep apnea products. The link to the ResScan download leads directly to a fill-in form that must be completed before download can begin. One required field is indeed an email address. So I guess that's enough to make it off limits for us to post links to the ResScan download page?

Correct.

The site that hosts the SH software is a clearinghouse site for software developers to distribute software. Clearly this site has no commercial interest in the sale of sleep apnea products or services. Nor does Mark Watkins since he does not sell SleepyHead. The site that hosts the SH software does not require a person to register in order to download software. Nor does this site require or solicit email address before a user is allowed to download software. You click on button and the SleepyHead download starts---there are no forms to fill out at all. I will admit that if you are a programming junkie or if you're someone who wants to actively participate in a reporting bugs and in helping Mark fix those bugs, there is link to join a SH mailing group. But you actively have to look for this link----it's not something that is stuck in your face.
[/quote]

Again, read the guidelines.....I even pasted them on the post you are responding to.
The ASAA are NOT promoting this product through their forum.

Finally, I suggest that if you want guidelines changed or amended you take the argument up with the ASAA....contact details are on the main ASAA page. THe forum is not a suitable place to advocate these type of changes.
Moderators are volunteers......we moderate within the posting guidelines....the ASAA are responbsible for the guidelines.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby CrohnieToo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Robysue, I'm not wild about the "restrictions" here myself, BUT I agreed to abide by them when I joined. There's no sense railing against them, the rules are the rules. There's no sense hasseling the moderators about them. They have to abide by and enforce the rules we all agreed to when we joined. *sigh* It can be frustrating but .... we agreed to abide by these rules. *sigh* Even *mumble* *grumble* I can understand ASAA's position on these matters.
CrohnieToo

Postby robysue » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Chronie,

I do my best to abide by the rules. I simply wanted some real clarification on why the rules lead to the interpretation that we cannot openly post the links to ResScan and SleepyHead. Daniel has been kind enough to answer my questions. I think it is useful for forum members---particularly those in search of the software---to understand the kind of reasoning that goes into making the decision that posting the links to the software is not allowed.

Robysue

robysue

Postby trebons » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 pm

CrohnieToo wrote:ResScan software is specifically listed by the manufacturer (Resmed) as being available ONLY by or upon the advice of a physician.

Thus this forum can NOT condone or promote the method(s) for obtaining a copy.

It is intended for "professional" use only.

There are those of us who have gained access to it by somewhat "dubious" means.
SleepyHead is free software (works on Windows, Linux & Mac computers) supports S9, PRS1, CMS50 Oximeters, DeVilbiss Intellipap and soon F@P Icon. ResMed knows people downloading the software, they could prevent unauthorized users but chosen not to do so as it makes their products more attractive to sleep apnea patients and they make more money that way.
Here ResMed say the software intended for patients and clinician alike:
"Patients and clinicians alike can easily monitor therapy, ensuring that any problems are detected and addressed early".
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_se ... nc=dealers
trebons

• Site Supporter