Resmed S9 vs Respironics S1

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Resmed S9 vs Respironics S1

Postby Perrybucsdad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:23 pm

I will be meeting with my DME next week and I was told that they sell the Respironics S1. I questioned as to why only the one and they said they like it and that it comes with a modem so I don't have to drop off a memory card. She did tell me that I could go with the S9 but I would have to pay the up-charge at 100%. I asked her to let me know what that price difference is and she is going to get back to me.

IN looking at the two devices, I sort of liked the S9 as it looks like it may work better with central apnea's (pls let me know if this is correct) as in my study I had a number of CSA's vs OSA's. Also, I like the fact that it has a very easy user interface and it has a back light. Normally when I get up in the morning it is still dark and I don't want to turn the light on as my wife is still sleeping, so this is a nice to have. The S9 also has the heated hose to prevent rainout. In the winter I keep the heat very low at night (we live in NE Ohio) so the normal night time house temp is about 62F. I would think having a heated hose would help with condensation buildup??

The Respironics looks like it has a nice swivel hose connector though, and it is a little less, but I also have seen reports that the water tank is a little hard to fill. My Brother in law also has one and he says he has issues with the water tank running dry each night.

So, can people help me with the pro's and cons of each device. They will be bringing both devices when I meet with them next Thursday, but it would also be helpful to see what others have seen with both of these.

As a side note, I will need a humidifier with both of these.
Perrybucsdad

Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: Resmed S9 vs Respironics S1

Postby CrohnieToo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:57 am

An integrated heated humidifier is almost always scripted along w/a PAP device now. It wasn't always that way but time has proven that most people do best w/some heated humidification w/their PAP.

Most insurances pay for CPAPs by HCPCS (insurance) code NOT by brand and model. The Resmed S9 Elite and S9 AutoSet and the PR S1 Pro and Auto are all the EXACT SAME HCPCS CODE. So your first step now should be to call your insurance company to see if they actually insist on one particular brand of CPAP or if they just pay by HCPCS code. Ask your insurance if the DME provider can legally charge you an upcharge of 100% if you want the Resmed instead of the Philips Respironics. That will give you an idea of just how "truthful" this local DME provider is being w/you. Based on your insurance companys reply you may want to also ask what other local DME CPAP providers they are contracted with.

MOST everyone will receive as good therapy w/the PR S1 as w/the Resmed S9. There are a very few who do respond better to the algorhythm of one brand over the other, but such people are a rarity.

I have a STRONG preference for the Resmed PAPs over the PRs - BUT - my preference is SOLELY based on amount of data and ease of access. The newer PR S1 do have a backlit LCD screen now whereas the earliest models didn't.

This DME provider probably has the Philips Respironics software and obviously the new EncoreAnywhere for tracking and transfering data as the cause of their preference for the PR devices. They may or may not have the Resmed software for determining your compliance and it then requires more of their "manhours" to collect and have your compliance data onhand for the doctor and/or insurance company.

W/the PR S1 and their tracking modem YOU won't be able to download your own data. You will be subject to only obtaining your data from the provider. There will be no data card and no module for the card, that space will be taken up w/the module for their tracking modem.

Hanging your hose above your head will almost guarantee no condensation problems regardles how warm the air and cold the room. The Resmed ClimateLine hose must be special ordered and has been noted to have some durability problems. You are right, that hose swivel on the PR S1 humidifier is a great improvement over front or back stationary hose attachments. That's the only thing I prefer about my PR S1 BPAP Auto over my Resmed VPAP Auto.

It just is much easier to monitor your own data yourself w/the Resmed S9 Elite or S9 AutoSet but as I said earlier, the therapy received is excellent w/both brands and I have no complaints about the PR S1 BPAP Auto's therapy. I just like my VPAP Auto better due to the amount of data and easy access to it.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Clay L » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:39 pm

I have just done a trail period with both machines and liked both of them.

I chose the Respironics machine. For me the deciding factor was cleaning and filling the humidifier tank. The Resmed tank level is hard to see after there is condensation on the top and sides. I could find no way to remove the top of the tank for cleaning and had to resort to adding some detergent and water and shaking it a lot.

The Respironics tank level is easy to read via some black level indicator lines on the side of the tank. Pushing a small tab allows the top of the tank to be removed so the tank can be easily cleaned.

Both units have new software algorithms for the humidity and both seem to work well. Both have humidity settings so the amount of water used each night can be controlled.
Respironics REMstar AUTO A Flex System One
Pressure = 8 to 11.5
C-Flex = 2

Mirage Quattro FFM
Clay L

Postby Perrybucsdad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:09 pm

With the Respironics... What does the M stand for in the name? (e.g. Remstar Auto vs Remstar Auto M). Does it signify Modem or something?
Perrybucsdad

Postby Flame » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:42 pm

I don't know what the 'M' stands for but I have tried both machines. First i had a Resmed which worked well and I liked that I could see the stats from the night before although I couldn't find the AHI. Possibly because I didn't have a different software. I only used it for about 10 days and then took it back because it stopped working. In retrospect, I think I may have damaged it because I would move it around my nightstand (gently) even with water in the tank.

When I went back they wanted me to try the Remstar instead with the modem. The water tank is very easy to fill and still much easier to place in the unit. I like the swivel top too. I didn't like that I can't access much data and don't know if there is a way to do so. The only problem I have had is that a couple of times it had a hard time syncing with my inhale and exhale cycle. I restarted it both times and it was fine. I have only had it for 10 days.

I am very new to all this. So, they do the same thing and have different advantages. Putting the water tank in and out on the Resmed was a problem for me.

Lois
Complex Apnea AHI: 78.1
Periodic Limb Movement: 118

REMstar AVAP
Flame

Machine: Respironics AVAP with humidifier
Mask: Resmed Quattro Full Face FX
Humidifier: Respironics

Postby Clay L » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Perrybucsdad wrote:With the Respironics... What does the M stand for in the name? (e.g. Remstar Auto vs Remstar Auto M). Does it signify Modem or something?

I have not been able to find a list of the products and am confused about their model numbers.

The older product lines had M as part of the model whether a modem was included or not. My last machine was REMstar M Series Pro for example and had no modem.
My new one is a REMstar Auto A Flex with a System One heated humidifier and has no modem.
When you look at their site they refer to System One as the platform rather the humidifier.
Respironics REMstar AUTO A Flex System One
Pressure = 8 to 11.5
C-Flex = 2

Mirage Quattro FFM
Clay L

Postby CrohnieToo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:25 pm

The M stands for the series of PAPs. Prior to the M series there was the Legacy series and then the M Series and now the SystemOne (S1) series. It has nothing to do w/a modem. And the REMStar in the name has been used thru out all three series as well as the model names Plus, Pro, Auto, BPAP, etc. REMStar just refers to ANY Respironics (PR) PAP.
CrohnieToo

Postby Perrybucsdad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Wait.... I CAN'T view my data if they make me have the modem??? No way that's going to work for me. I'm a data junkie and all. Is there no way to disconnect the modem and put a data card in?

CrohnieToo... no, this is not the older ones that had an M, but specifically Remstar Auto M, or Remstar Pro M.... see this link and scroll down to the R's,
Perrybucsdad

Postby CrohnieToo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 am

All I saw listed in the Rs was the M Series. The M Series was introduced in 2006. The newer PR SystemOne series was introduced in 2010.

Perhaps I used the wrong term when I said modem. Module might have been a better term? I'm not a 'puter geek. Whatever you want to call where the data card is inserted to make contact and upload data from the PAP is what I am referring to.

I have more experience w/the Resmeds which had 3 modem/module "parts". One fit into the PAP for a data card. One fit into the PAP in place of the data card "module" for the S8 ResLink reporting system and the third was a blank cap for that "area" of the PAP. Then they came out w/ResTraxx which I believe is the equivalent for the PR EncoreAnywhere tracking system. And ResTraxx required yet a different "module" to fit into the PAP in place of the data card module or ResLink module or blank module cover.

I have reason to believe that the Respironics/PRs have a similar "setup" or "arrangement" for their data uploading systems. You might want to discuss this w/your local DME provider and/or Respironics or local Respironics Rep. Or prowl/browse PR's website in the "professionals" section rather than the "customer" section. I'm not as familiar w/the PR website since I only recently (March of this year) got a PR PAP, never liked or used an M Series PAP and had little experience w/the Legacy series back when I was just getting started on CPAP and APAP therapy altho I did have a Legacy series APAP and Auto BPAP. See if the PR website has a Products page.

Meanwhile, closer to home, remove the humidifier water tank, flip your PAP over and look at the plate on the bottom of your PAP and see what the manufacture date is. On mine it starts w/the 4 digit year, then 2 digit month and 2 digit day. Mine has two plates so look at both plates to find which one has the date.
CrohnieToo

Postby Fliehigh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:29 am

The System one will have the SD card in it even if it has the modem atteched. The modem will have two buttons (1 on each side) that you sqeeze to remove the modem and gain access to the SD card.

The modem only transmits data once a day but you can manually start a transmition by holding in the little black button on the back of the modem for 2 secs.

I had a modem attached when I was doing my 4 week setup with the respitory therapist and I loved the fact that she had my data before I cam in to the office and if she needed to make a change to the machine she could do it remotely.

Once the 4 week setup process was over I had to return the modem, it would have been any good to me anyway as the data gets transmitted to Encore Anywhere and of course I can't get an account to that.
Fliehigh

Machine: Resp System One AFlex
Mask: Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes Built in Heated

Postby Perrybucsdad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks Fliehigh.... do you know if the data on the card gets deleted after it transmits?? That would be an issue if it transmits before I offload the data.
Perrybucsdad

Postby Fliehigh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 am

Nope it does not.

It is all still there, at least mine was.
Fliehigh

Postby CrohnieToo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 am

Ahhhhhh. THANK YOU, and bless you, FlieHigh!!! I'm sure Perry and I aren't the only ones who appreciate that information!!! Youse a peach for sharing that info w/us!
CrohnieToo

Postby Fliehigh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 am

No Problem at all, Very glad I could return at least favor for the help I received here!!

Happy Hosing :-)
Fliehigh

Postby Perrybucsdad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 am

+1

- John
Perrybucsdad