ResMed S9 Climate Control problems

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

• Site Supporter

ResMed S9 Climate Control problems

Postby ggordon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:21 pm

I've had the ResMed system for the past 6 months with the ClimateLine tubing and humidifier in order to eliminate rainout, but have had trouble getting the system to put out any humidity. Even when I turn the temperature up to 80 or 82 degrees the amount of water that is used from the humidifier tub is minimal and I experience real mouth and nasal dryness. I know the humidifier plate is working, as it does heat up when I pre-warm the system, but by the morning the plate is completely cold. I've replaced the ClimateLine tubing and the humdifier but that has made no difference. Has anyone else had similar problems with this system? Is there any chance the main control unit is somehow defective and causing this problem? The other functions on the main control unit seem to work fine. Thanks.
ggordon

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask: ResMed Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2010

PostThis post was deleted by Vicki on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 pm.
Reason: Spam

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Control problems

Postby trebons » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:53 pm

You can try to turn temp up or select manual mode as you can set temp and humidity independently but rainout protection is not guaranteed .
trebons

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask: Nasal

Postby octogirl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:36 pm

I had the same problem, just last night. When I went to detach my hose, as I do every morning after the "cool down" cycle to let it air out, I noticed it wasn't quite engaged. It seemed to be attached, but I hadn't twisted it to that final click. No wonder my nose was cold when I woke up! From now on I'll watch the screen when I attach it and make sure it's clicked and climate control is activated.
octogirl

Postby rjg202 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 pm

I noticed my humidity is set to 3 and I can see that when the hose is off the h5i. Now I have never changed that but I feel as though mine is not working since I use no water? Can I set the humidity then hook up te climate line and set the temp? Irregardless with my temp at 80 it feels like it blows cold air. Is the sensor keeping your face at say 80 degrees?

Can the climate line be used with nasal pillows? I may try to change my mask out due to soreness around where it fits.
rjg202

Machine: Resmed S9 Escape
Humidifier: Yes Resmed H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby lpast8 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:18 am

I am a long time cpap user. Ive been on cpap since respironics made the first machine in 1985, I was diagnosed in 1979 when the only solution was a tracheotomy. I was in law enforcement and couldnt continue my career with a trach.

I have owned many machines over the years and I was convinced around the mid 90s to try resmed after several resmed machines i was convinced resmed was the best solution out there. Until now.
I was using the resmed Malibu vpap for 6 yrs approx, it finally broke and resmed said not worth fixing and It was replaced a week ago with the resmed S9 Vpap Auto. In my estimation this is the worst resmed machine ive ever owned.
The humidification is absolutely horrible and does not work for me. My malibu was set on 3-4.5 depending on time of year and I never experienced any drying of mouth or throat whatsoever, my pressure can swing wildly my malibu was set at 12-18 the new S9 auto is set identically to the malibu.
THe S9 humidifier is working my respiratory tech came and tested it in front of me. Last night I went to bed at 10pm est I was awakened 3 times with PAINFUL dryness of throat and mouth and the last awakening at 2am I got out of bed and thats why im posting here at this time. The S9 is set all the way up to max 6
This S9 is going back monday...I dont like much about this machine at all...and the humidification makes it trash. I am going to ask my Tech to bring the Respironics Bipap Auto Sv.
I have written to resmed about this and they have yet to answer, I have searched the net and theres alot of complaints about this machine..I believe resmed failed big time with this machine and if they dont do a fix they will lose business.
lpast8

Machine: resmed s9 Vpap auto
Mask: resmed swift fx nasal
Humidifier: resmed s9
Year Diagnosed: 1979

Postby Grandma » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 pm

I have the same equipment. I love the machine but now that it's winter, the humidifier with the climateline hose does not seem to be giving me any humidity. The air is warm but it doesn't seem to have any humidity with it. I wake, too, with the dry mouth, etc. I am having higher numbers of apneas, too. I have tried using a regular hose, not a climate line, but the rainout is too bad. I did have a cover on it. I don't seem to have any control over the amount of heat or humidity, no matter what I do with the knobs and dials. The hose is engaged properly. Anybody else have really great results with this humidifier? I am also waking up occasionally with the air pressure so high, the mask is blowing off my face. I have to either take the mask off or blow really hard into it to get the pressure to go back where it belongs. Does this mean that my airway is so obstructed the machine can't open it? Or could my machine need service?
ResMed Quattro Full Face Mask
Proud and happy owner of a new Resmed S9 Autoset
Pressure range 8 to 20
Grandma

Postby spaghetti head » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm a new CPAP user and I'm using a ResMed S9 Autoset. I have no base line to compare to on humidity, but I do know that my reservoir is almost empty after 8 hours of use. I still need to play more the the heater controls.
spaghetti head

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby rweerstra » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:45 pm

I too have the S9 with the climate control tubing. I have had no problems with the machine until recently when the machine shut off in the middle of the night. The display said that I needed to replace the climate control tube. I turned off the machine and back on and it worked for a time then shut off again. I then twisted the connector so the machine didn't know there was a climate control tube connected and it worked for the remainder of the night. Lots of condensation I might add.

I relented and purchased a new climate control tube and I get the same results. I normally have the tube under the covers as much as possible to avoid condensation but I tried leaving it exposed, with the insulating sleeve on the tube, and it worked for the remainder of the night.

Up to now, I have had no problems with the machine. I have the humidity setting on 5.5 or 6.0 and it is almost empty after eight hours. I took the machine to the local dealer and they could find nothing wrong with it but they are not equipped to troubleshoot it anyway.

I have never had this problem, covering the tubing causing it to shut down, before. Any ideas or experience?
rweerstra

Postby msuspartans » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Grandma wrote:I have the same equipment. I love the machine but now that it's winter, the humidifier with the climateline hose does not seem to be giving me any humidity. The air is warm but it doesn't seem to have any humidity with it. I wake, too, with the dry mouth, etc. I am having higher numbers of apneas, too. I have tried using a regular hose, not a climate line, but the rainout is too bad. I did have a cover on it. I don't seem to have any control over the amount of heat or humidity, no matter what I do with the knobs and dials. The hose is engaged properly. Anybody else have really great results with this humidifier? I am also waking up occasionally with the air pressure so high, the mask is blowing off my face. I have to either take the mask off or blow really hard into it to get the pressure to go back where it belongs. Does this mean that my airway is so obstructed the machine can't open it? Or could my machine need service?

I have the same machine as you. I'm having the same problem with regards to humidity. Due to rainout (room is cold in the winter) I switched to the heated hose. I only have my temperature set at 70F. I change my water every night an I dump out almost as much as I put in. Due to the cold outside the humidity in my house is low. I think I should be using more water. I've only been on my machine for 15 days. Luckily my nose or mouth haven't been dry.
msuspartans

Postby fatherbill » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Just started a ResMed S9 cpap a few days ago. And yes the water container is a bit smaller that what I had in a model 600 Fisher/Paykel. The room humidity now is fairly high now. I suppose that during the winted when humidity drops I will have to run a humidifier to be comfortable. Whats great is that all these devices use distilled water. I purchased a used distiller from 'A1-water-distiller.' Wont have to lug gallons of water from the store. Sorry that I've gotter of subject a bit.
fatherbill

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions