Recovery: Septoplasty/Tonsillectomy/Turbinatectomy

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Recovery: Septoplasty/Tonsillectomy/Turbinatectomy

Postby Sherri Baby » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:02 am

Well all, I had my surgery on Wednesday morning...today is Day 4 post-op. I had a tonsillectomy with chemical cauterization, septoplasty/deviated septum, turbinate reduction, and he said they also took part of the uvula because of its size. When I went in, I made sure they knew that I had sleep apnea, because of the anesthesia, and they wound up keeping me overnight because of it. They wanted to make sure that I didn't swell too much and not be able to breathe. I went home with my parents on Thursday afternoon, and stayed with them until Saturday. Finally felt comfortable enough to come home here to the farm yesterday...got home probably about 7-8pm or so. They didn't pack my nose, just stents, and those came out 24 hours after the surgery! I have to tell you....recovering from the deviated septum surgery has been annoying at best, just because of the congestion and the constant feeling of being "plugged up". Pain on that has been minimal, and sleeping with the vaporizer and using the nasal sprays is helping a great deal there. Robitussin DM (believe it or not!) will be your best friend there...I don't know why it works, but it keeps you from getting those horrible sinus headaches.

The tonsils, on the other hand, that recovery has been fairly horrendous. This has got to be the absolute worst sore throat I have ever had in my entire life, bar NONE. Its absolutely miserable. But I started feeling better and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yesterday when my nose cleared up a little bit more, and I can actually breathe through my nose now! LOL! Trust me, the greatest victories are not always the large ones. Breathing through your nose keeps your mouth and throat from drying out, which goes a long way toward feeling better in that area.

I'm camped out semi-permanently on the couch, with pain meds and nasal sprays within easy reach. Hydrocodone every 3-4 hours, and trust me, I'm watching the 3-4 hours like a hawk....you do NOT want to miss a dose of your pain meds. I've been eating alot of jello, chicken broth, and flavor-ices...you know, those popsicles in the plastic wrappers we loved when we were kids? Yeah, they're fabulous....LOL! Kool-Aid in a plastic wrapper... who woulda known... if I had thought of that, I'd be a multi-billionaire by now!

I've come to one conclusion on the subject of this surgery.... if you can suck it up and deal with it and survive the first 3 days, you'll be fine. Once you get past day 3, its downhill from there. You've got the pain meds on a routine schedule, you've figured out a halfway decent sleeping position, and things are under control. Especially if you have family around willing to take care of you and nurse your sorry butt... :-D And, as I keep telling myself, it will be worth it in the end, especially if I can successfully lose the machine after all this.

Anyway... I'll be here on the couch all week, with plenty of time to keep you guys up to date. :-D
---Sherri---

ResMed VPap Adapt SV with heated humidifer
ResMed Ultra Mirage II Nasal Mask
Hosehead since 1/17/06 - "Adapter" since 1/28/07
Tonsillectomy/Septoplasty/Turbinatectomy 1/16/08 = AHI 6, "ALMOST" Normal!!
Sherri Baby

Re: Recovery: Septoplasty/Tonsillectomy/Turbinatectomy

Postby Popeye » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Sherri Baby wrote:I've been eating alot of jello, chicken broth, and flavor-ices...you know, those popsicles in the plastic wrappers we loved when we were kids? Yeah, they're fabulous....LOL! Kool-Aid in a plastic wrapper... who woulda known... if I had thought of that, I'd be a multi-billionaire by now!

I got hooked on popsicles after my UPPP on Nov 27. I'm not sure if it is an addiction or my new comfort food.
Popeye

Postby Sherri Baby » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:16 pm

I can't even imagine going UPPP... they scared me when they said uvuloplasty... my eyes got real big and I was trying to sign to my husband "no uppp!" (yes, we know sign language, thank goodness! lol) And of course, he didn't have the slightest idea what I was talking about, not even when I spelled out "u-v-u-l-a! no uppp!" And nobody knew anything....I was horrified that I was going to have to do a UPPP recovery, which I know is way worse than what I've been dealing with. Later I found out that they only took part of the uvula and that, I guess, that's fairly common now.

Anyway... popsicles, yeah.... LOL! I love the popsicles... :-D
---Sherri---

Sherri Baby

Postby Guest MJ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Sherri,

I want to wish you the best for your recovery. Several people suggested runny oatmeal as a food that goes down easily after surgery.

Guest MJ

Here's some sunshine to cheer you up:

Guest MJ

Postby Sherri Baby » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks for the good wishes... I'll take all I can get!

Anybody know when I can blow my nose without wreaking havoc with anything? Everything I've read says don't do it until you're told you can.... :-?
---Sherri---

Sherri Baby

Postby Popeye » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm

Definitely do NOT blow your nose until told it is okay.

Try overcooked macaroni noodles with thinned out cheese. I actually like that better than the sticky mac & cheese. Also, just barely done scrambled eggs with melted cheese tasted good too.

Use instant oatmeal. I prefer the old fashioned, 5 minute oats because they have more texture but found them to be scratchy after my surgery.

After each of these meals I recommend another popsicle!
Popeye

Postby Sherri Baby » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:16 am

Well, my nose has cleared up just a little bit more tonight, and I enjoyed breathing through my nose for actually several hours before the pain meds started to wear off and I started to plug up again. So, I came down here and did a shot of some more pain meds, did 2 more sprays of saline spray, and now I guess I'm going to try and get some sleep.

I like the overcooked macaroni idea... I think I might try that one tomorrow night, and tomorrow's a holiday, which means no school, so hubby and dear daughter are BOTH home with me all day again tomorrow, so I think I might see if I can't get hubby to make me some of those fluffy scrambled eggs in the morning! :-D

I want to be careful not to overdo though, because I'm feeling pretty decent tonight. I'm one of those people that will get up and get going if there's no pain or anything to stop me, so I may have to force myself to take it easy for a while longer.

One thing that's kinda bugging me though....I'm starting to feel "dangly stuff" in the back of my throat. It almost feels like stitches, but I almost know that it can't be. Doesn't hurt, is not irritating, just annoying as hell because I keep feeling like I want to try and cough it up like phlegm or something, but I don't know what it is, so not sure I want to mess with it. Can somebody help me out here and give me a clue? Is that scabbing that I'm feeling...something I should leave alone?
---Sherri---

Sherri Baby

Postby Sherri Baby » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:48 am

Oh, and I almost forgot.... about the blowing the nose thing.... nobody told me not to when I left the hospital. The dr. that took my stents out said "try not to, but if you do, don't do it hard." So I think I've actually broke down and blown my nose about 3 times that I can remember, and it was always more like breathing hard out my nose, not really *blowing*... know what I mean? I've been keeping up with the sprays and the vaporizer, so I've stayed fairly moist up there..... and I haven't done it again since I read all that stuff on the internet about NOT blowing.

So...... I hope I haven't messed anything up.... ? :-?
---Sherri---

Sherri Baby

Postby Sherri Baby » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 pm

Well, I'm just about to mark off Day 5. Each day is a little bit better than the day before. My nose was clear almost all day today! Woo hoo!! =D>

The day started out kinda rough though. Woke up at 4am and the meds had worn off about an hour before. Not good. Every time that happens, you have to play "catch up" with the pain, and it usually takes two subsequent doses before you start feeling normal again. Don't play catch up with your pain! Tonight, I'll be setting an alarm to wake me up in 4 hours so I don't miss that dose again. After that, the day went really well. Whenever the nose plugged a little bit, I just hit it with another shot of saline spray, and it cleared back up again shortly after. I figured out that if I take the nasal decongestant spray they gave me in the morning when I first get up, and then again at night before I go to bed, that works best in keeping me clear. At least until everything heals up anyway. Hopefully eventually, I won't even need it at all!

Hubby made scrambled eggs for me this morning (bless his heart!). Don't tell him, but they weren't quite fluffy enough...little bit overdone....but I'm certainly not going to complain! He's been sooooo sweet. I tried the overcooked macaroni and cheese tonight, and OMG was that good! Gotta use the good stuff though...the grocery store brands don't usually get the cheese the right consistency...LOL! If you make the cheese a little bit runny, like Popeye said, it slides right down and tastes oh, soooo good! I've re-discovered Campbell's soup too....the bean with bacon and split pea with ham are both really good for both protein and fiber, and they go down nice and smooth.

Called the ENT's office this morning too, to get my hydrocodone refilled. While I had her on the phone, I asked her about my "dangly thread-like, want to either cough-up or swallow" things at the back of my throat....it is actually scabbing, and nothing that I need to worry about, but nothing that I want to try and cough up or anything either. Just stick with the soft diet and the vaporizer, try to ignore it as much as I can, and it'll take care of itself in a few more days. That might prove to be easier said than done, its about to drive me batty.

Anyway.... I hope that this little journal of sorts is helping somebody. Its almost kind of therapeutic in a way just to be writing it, I guess. Talk to ya'll tomorrow.... :-D
---Sherri---

Sherri Baby

Postby Sherri Baby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 am

End of Day 6. Today has been by far the best day yet. I actually just about felt normal today...LOL! I was able to feel just fine on half-doses of the pain meds...woo hoo! =D>

I set my alarm last night, and so woke up in time to take my scheduled dose, and had a much more restful night in doing that. I'm currently sitting at 4-1/2 hours on a half dose of meds, and want to see if I can go until midnight so that I can set the alarm for 4am and only take one "midnight" dose. So far, so good. I've found that it really helps to keep the fluids going in, and keep that throat moist. Whether it be water, or hot tea, or gatorade, or whatever. As long as I'm drinking okay, the throat does okay.

The nose has been clear all day long. Got some gunk out of it earlier, and that was kinda gross, but helped. When I do some "investigative feeling" up there, all I can really feel now is the stitches on the left side....the rest of my nose is relatively clear, which to me, has been REALLY fast! I can't wait to go to sleep tonight and see if I sleep any better.

Scabbing is still going on in the throat though. Its "buggin' the far" out of me (insert exaggerated southern drawl here). But "tickles" in the throat from scabs are far preferable to what I've had, soooooo......

More tomorrow, ya'll.... :-D
---Sherri---

Sherri Baby

Postby Popeye » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 pm

I found that room temperature drinks or things like lukewarm coffee helped for hydration. Sometimes the cold stuff was harder to swallow than the lukewarm liquids.
Popeye

Postby Sherri Baby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:29 pm

I discovered this this afternoon!! I've been living on hot tea...it always felt so good going down, until I finally got "tea'd out", and decided I wanted some gatorade for something different. Poured a glass of gatorade, and it literally just about burned going down it was so cold. I couldn't drink it. I put it in the microwave for 15 seconds.... LOL! After that, it was okay... :-D

Tomorrow is Day 8, and my husband is going to be gone all day. He has to go do some work on a house he built last year. So, I'll be going to my mom's a day early. I had planned to spend Friday & Saturday at her house because that's Day 9 & 10... when the scabs start coming loose, and there's that risk. I know its probably overkill, and nothing will happen, and everything will be fine.....but we've been having some really bad weather out here the last several days. School's been out, and I'd hate to be stuck out here if something DID happen.

Anyway..... still feeling good though! :-D =D>
---Sherri---

Sherri Baby

Postby kygirl47 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 pm

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have a CPAP but have had a difficult time using it. My family have complained for years about my horribly loud snoring. I sleep in another room to give my hubby a chance for sleep. I become stuffed as soon as I go to sleep. Wake up 4-6 times a night with a dry mouth and scratchy throat. My face hurts and I have morning headaches. I went to see an ENT and had a CT scan which shows I have enlarged turbinates and a deviated septum. Therefore, I need to have surgery. Here's the kicker...I am nervous and anxious about the risks for complications. I am scheduled the 7th of February and I am thinking about waiting until warmer weather and to give me a chance to calm down. Any words of advice or assurance for this coward? [/img]
kygirl47

Postby Popeye » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:46 pm

Think about how much you'll enjoy smelling the spring flowers with your sinuses opened up! If you do it now you'll have plenty of time to heal.

This is from p8triot on the Deviated Septum Surgery Experiences forum on 1/23/07: "I had my septoplasty the first week of December and am happy as can be about it now. I had about 5 days of using percocet and a total of 10-12 uncomfortable days. Other than that I can't complain a bit. I breathe much easier and had a sleep study (polysomnograpy) completed and significantly reduced my mild sleep apnea and almost totally eliminated my snoring. Do you hear that noise? Ir's my wife singing the Hallelujah Chorus."

His 5 days of percocet and 10-12 days of uncomfortable may be on the high side and he is happy as can be. You can do this!
Last edited by Popeye on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Popeye

Postby kygirl47 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and it would be wonderful to feel better by spring.
kygirl47

Next

• Site Supporter