• Site Supporter

Recovery from UPPP Surgery

This is the forum for off topic discussions.

uppp

Postby Darren » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:18 pm

I just had uppp, tonsilectomy and septum surgery 5 days ago, holy !@#! it hurts, my suggestion would be to go with septum, tosils only and see how that goes. if no improvements then uppp will noe help much, I wish I didn't get uppp
Darren

possible complications from UPPP

Postby pcocfk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:27 pm

I had the UPPP, septoplasty and tonsilectomy done on November 20. I've been in pain since and my mouth has bled three times in the past 5 days with the second time needing hospitalization. I stayed overnight to see if any more bleeding would occur during my stay. Of course it didn't, it only bled a couple days after I returned home. I haven't been able to eat much in the past two weeks probably from a combination of tenderness and fear. Today I finally got brave and tried some french fries and then later some pizza (only a couple bites though). I really couldn't taste much of either to tell the truth. I tasted a little when I first took a bite but by the time I swallowed, the taste wasn't that good going down. Of all the complications I have heard about this procedure, I have never seen anything about loss of taste. Has anyone experienced this part of it, is this normal right after surgery and if so, is this temporary. I'm not too happy about it right now because tasting food is a pleasure of mine and if it is permanently gone, I don't know if I would have gone through with the surgery if I had known. Thanks for anyone's imput.
Charles
pcocfk

Re: possible complications from UPPP

Postby Daniel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:47 am

I really couldn't taste much of either to tell the truth. I tasted a little when I first took a bite but by the time I swallowed, the taste wasn't that good going down. Of all the complications I have heard about this procedure, I have never seen anything about loss of taste.

Charles,

Yes, loss or impairment of taste can be a side effect of the UPPP. Some people report a 'metallic' taste also. Apparantly it is to do with the severing or nicking of a small nerve during the procedure. Depending on damage, it can be short term, long term or permanent.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

UPPP

Postby heather » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:16 am

I have been scheduled to have this done on the 26th of dec and i am scared!!! I was wondering how long are you in the hospital after and how long would it take for me to get back to work, I told my work i would be able to work on the 31st is that to soon ? heather :-?
heather

Re: UPPP

Postby Daniel » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:26 am

heather wrote:I have been scheduled to have this done on the 26th of dec and i am scared!!! I was wondering how long are you in the hospital after and how long would it take for me to get back to work, I told my work i would be able to work on the 31st is that to soon ? heather :-?

You need to post more details. Do you have OSA, did you have a sleep study, if so what is the severity of your apnoea, your AHI etc etc.

No two sufferers of OSA are exactly the same. Getting back to work quickly may be the least of your worries.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby Danny » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Heather

I had the UPPP done on 11/30/06 and from what I understand I have had a better time than most and am recovering faster than most. While everybody is different and I believe that so far I have been lucky, I am in no way ready to resume work unless it is light office work with very limited talking and plenty of breaks. You are talking about 5 days after the procedure, which in my case was among the worst of the days (so far) in recovery. Expect the worst and be greatfull for anything better.

Bottom line I would change your plans for returning to work so soon. This is not like gut surgery YOU WILL PROBABLY HURT

It will take a couple of months to see if it has been of any help with my OSA. CPAP is great stuff and if I was not having such a hard time with high pressure combined with the 4X tonsils squeezing my Uvula I would have not done it. I tooka chance and am hoping for the best. I am making regular posts as to my progress on UPP IN THE MORNING thread

Do research, listen to all sides, get at least a 2nd ENT opinion, weigh everything and make a decesion, but plan on taking some time off

Good Luck

Danny
Danny

Re: UPPP

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:43 pm

heather wrote:I have been scheduled to have this done on the 26th of dec and i am scared!!! I was wondering how long are you in the hospital after and how long would it take for me to get back to work, I told my work i would be able to work on the 31st is that to soon ? heather :-?

Heather,

I am 1 month post UPPP/septoplasty/tonsilectomy. I was in the hospital for 3 days (1 in ICU). I was out of work for about 3 1/2 weeks total. I did have a tremendous amount of pain for 3 weeks which is well controlled with pain meds. However I did not have any extreme side effects as some have posted. I currently have absorbable stitches in my mouth and left nostril but still able to perform normal daily and work duties. MY ENT seems to think it was a success. I can feel the difference in sleep however I have to have another sleep study to get the exact numbers. I will check back to see if you have any more questions. I was told that women have a better tolerance for pain but I dont know about that. I hurt like hell and I cannot image it being any worst this is not to scare you but prepare you. Just make sure you take your pain meds every few hours and you well be fine. I wanted to see if I can function without it one day and it took all day to get it back under control so I took it faithful every 3-4 hrs afterwards.

Postby heather » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Thank you all of you. I need this. I am sure scared and I don't have the support that I feel I should have from friends and all. I am looking at all the sides of this topic and considering all the commits on this I should get a little longer off work.That is if they will give it to me. I am in home care worker so it is light house duty and transferring clients to wheel chairs and to bed.So maybe I will heal fast i have from other surgerys this year heather
heather

update

Postby Heather » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:51 pm

I had an appointment today with my sleep study dr. I had quit using my cpap a couple of months ago. He prescribe the cpap again for me to use for a month.He said to use it before surgery it will help with the swelling of my throat before surgery. It will help with the healing after surgery for the throat to be more moist that way it won't dry out as much so the pain won't be so bad. Also said to use it during the day. I thought it was interesting. He also lowered the pressure from 16 to 13 i thought it was different. :-o
Heather

Re: Recovery from UPPP Surgery

Postby Heather » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:02 pm

FredL wrote:I had a sleep study done due to extreme daytime drowsiness. I was subsequently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea, and two of the resulting recommendations were CPAP and UPPP. I started out with the CPAP machine as it's obviously less invasive. However, it was so incredibly annoying I ended up not being able to use the thing (and, yes, I certainly did try!); for me, it was intolerable.

I went back to my ENT doctor, and he said that I was a good candidate for UPPP, so he scheduled me for UPPP and a tonsillectomy. My question is this: what kind of time frame should I expect for recovery, that is, not being able to return to work? I was given anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks, and I was hoping to get some feedback as to whether it might be closer to 2 weeks or 4 weeks. Thanks!

It sounds just like what I am going thru. I did the cpap. Now I am going in for a uppp on the 26th of Dec. I would like to know how long it will actually take me to recover also. I have heard as long as a month. I have only asked for 1 week off work. I think I will need to ask for more time that is for sure. The other thing I would like to know is how long and what exactly to expect after surgery at the hospital how long and if you are in icu or a regular room? Heather
Heather

UPPP Complications

Postby sandie0069 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:46 pm

I had a UPPP with a Tonsillectomy on November 30th. I've had 3 children born via natural childbirth and I have to admit that none were as painful as this recovery has been. It's been 3 weeks since my sugery and I'm still having problems eating. For instance, when I eat anything with bread, unless it toasted, I have a hard time swallowing it. It's like the back of my tongue is paralyzed or something and can't move the food down my throat. That goes for anything soft. I have an annoying amount of excess mucus. I did read somewhere that this is one of the complications of the UPPP. Would have been nice if my military surgeon had told me that before hand. My sense of taste has been the worst part. I have problems with my tastebuds. For instance, I like chocolate, but, when I eat anything sweet, including Chocolate, it only tastes bitter and leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. I read in one of your responses that you were having the same problem. Most of the food just doesn't taste good. I still don't eat a lot yet either. I've lost 18 pounds so far and since i've been eating for just about a week now, none of it has come back. I figured it would as soon as I started eating...not that Im really complaining as I could stand to lost at least another 20..lol. I had my UPPP done, not because of SOSA (severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea), but because I had a bacteria on the back of my throat that was resistant to antibiotics. I wish now that I'd said to heck with it and only gottent he tonsils taken out. The UPPP was just not worth it to me, especially if my sense of taste doesn't return. That will really tick me off. This complication wasn't even mentioned, like a lot of the complications I'm having. For anyone getting this done, unless it's life threatening...DON'T! Just deal with the CPAP!
sandie0069

Postby tacarp » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:28 pm

I also had UPPP with a Tonsillectomy on 15 Dec, so I am in my 5th day of recovery. I can definitely vouch for all those who say it hurts like nothing you've ever felt. Really the worst part is that on top of the constant pain, (which does subside a little bit after meds), EVERY time you swallow it hurts a lot. So shortly after taking meds, to lessen the pain before eating, you eat what you can, which amounts to liquid something (I have eaten popsicles, pudding, jello, and applesauce for the most part). The act of eating immediately brings the pain level back up to where it was before the meds because eating requires so much swallowing. On top of all that, you have to constantly stay hydrated, so you must drink water all the time which requires guess what, more swallowing. More swallowing equals more pain. You don't want to know how painful it is to let your throat dry out, let's just say it won't happen more than once. So it is a very, very painful and vicious cycle of short pain relief, followed by grueling self-inflicted pain because you have to eat/drink. Now none of this takes into account any other side effects you may experience. I have had few physical side effects, I've had some pain in my ears from the surgery and thats about it. I am only at day 5, and although I'm not on the downhill side of this procedure, I can say that now that I know (for the most part) how to deal with it, and what my limits are, the rest of the recovery will be easier.

As far as returning to work, I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I'm pretty sure I will be ready to go back after the new year (2 weeks off). That doesn't mean I'll be back to normal for sure, I can envision at this point not being able to eat normally for at least a month, maybe longer. I was actually able to eat some crushed up Raman soup today, which was a major victory! I tried cream of wheat yesterday, and that was horrible, it was way to sticky.

I have moderate OSA, so my hope was that I could reduce my apnea level, with the very slight hope of being apnea free. I am not so naive that I think this will cure my apnea, I am prepared to be one with my CPAP forever. From all the research I have done, if you have anything above moderate OSA, this surgery will most likely not help you out much. Slight to moderate OSA, (depending on the study) has anywhere from a 15-70% success rate. Every case is different, and there are other surgeries (MMA for example), that have better success rates, but are considered pretty radical, and are usually reserved for severe, even life-threatening cases.

Whatever you ultimately decide to do, ask the hard questions of your Dr., do plenty of research, and best of luck to you!
tacarp

UPPP

Postby jmoore » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:29 am

For persons having this procedure done, you will definately need to take 2-3 weeks off of work. I had this procedure done on 10/2 and spent the next ten days crushing pills and taking liquids only. As others have said, it really hurts each time you swallow. On the day of surgery, my physician said to me (right before anesthesia put me under), "don't hate me when this is over." In recovery room, I knew actually why he said this. I spent the first night in the hospital in an intensive care step down unit. I went home the following afternoon....being a nurse, I felt I could take care of myself at home. Boy, was I wrong. I almost ended up back in the hospital. You really need to keep hydrated which is virtually impossible because of the pain. After 2 weeks, I was feeling better and off all medications.

Now that I am 3 months out, I tend to choke on food and have a constant feeling that something is caught in my throat. I have been told that this is the scar that has formed. It is very annoying and had I known this, I am not sure that I would have been OK with the procedure. At 48 years old, I hate to think that I now have trouble swallowing pills and have to live with this annoying problem in my throat.

I wish everyone the best should they have a UPPP performed. My advice is to be prepared for the worst....because it will definately be the worst.
jmoore

Still early for me but not that bad so far

Postby fgonima » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:38 am

As several folks have said, it is probably different for everyone. I had my surgery yesterday for UPPP, septoplasty, tonsilectomy and turbinate reduction (which is where they chisel out some of the inside of your sinuses to make more space). From all accounts the suckiest part of recovery is yet to come which I am not looking forward to. That being said however, I was up on my feet about two hours after surgery. Drinking water in little sips comfortably about 4 hours after surgery, drinking yogurt smoothies shortly thereafter (soooooo soothing!!!), and having chicken noodle soup with the solids crushed really fine which I was able to drink through a straw about 6 hours after surgery. Last night I slept better than I can recall in ages and even did so on my back (sitting up against pillow) which I don't think my sleep apnea has ever allowed me to do comfortably. So far, my sense of taste seems to be intact (the soups and smoothie showed me that) and aside from feeling like I have a really bad case of strep I feel great overall.

Heather- now I know that I am just starting my recovery so will be sure to ethically follow up with posts if I experience a radical change in my experience but I guess I wanted to post to offer the perspective that it really is different for everyone and that severe post-op expereinces are not necessarily the norm. One of my coworkers who got the procedure done earlier this year was back at work within a week (though I wouldn't recommend planning for that. If you feel up to it, great. If not, it is imortant to have choices). The one caution I would offer is that since your job involves lifting clients and other things, keep in mind that physical exertion is likely to spike your blood pressure which often causes bleeding to still open surgical cuts. You may be lucky and feel ready to return to work on the date you originally planned but may find that the nature of the work you do produces complications you won't want if you jump back in too soon.

Bottom line- it is different for everyone so take all perspectives with a grain of salt and trust what your gut and your confidence level in your doctor tells you. Do try to arrange your life to have at least two weeks for recovery just so that you give your body a good chance to heal.

FG in Denver during a Blizzard :-)
fgonima

UPPP

Postby AB-Boston » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:42 pm

I had UPPP, Septoplasty, and Tonsilectomy on Nov 13. I won't sugar coat it, it was hell. If you are getting this done, listen to the advice on this board as I did...it really helped. Keeping hydrated, as much as it hurts, really helps. You do not want a dry throat under any circumstances. On that note, sleeping was really hard for the first week+. This was due to the fact that when I finally fell asleep, I started breathing through my mouth...which dried out my throat. It only took one swallow to wake me up, quickly and painfully. I'd say that I could get 30-45 minutes of sleep before I woke up. I would turn on the TV and wait until my next scheduled med intake (Roxicet: liquid Percocet...good stuff). The first 9 days or so I was living life in 4 hour increments, the time between doses. I was not able to eat anything solid until day 10. I lived on Chocolate Ensure mixed with whey protien powder 2x daily. Sleep seems to be better, but will wait for a sleep study before I close the book on this. Annoying things a month out include saliva/liquids going down the wrong pipe, and feeling like I have something in the back of my throat that I can't clear. One word of caution: when I went to get my splints out of my nose it wasn't all that painful (3tsp of Roxicet 1 hour before probably helped), but I did pass out and fell out of the chair onto the side of my face. I did not feel a thing...the last thing I remembered was the doctor leaving the room to get a nurse to sit with me until I felt less light-headed...then boom, I was on the floor. Bottom line is that this is a serious set of procedures with a really tough recovery. Unless your OSA is really bad...don't do it.
AB-Boston

PreviousNext

• Site Supporter

Return to Late Night With Sleep Apnea