question concerning a two year olds heart rate while sleepin

This area is for the discussion of Pediatric Sleep Apnea.

question concerning a two year olds heart rate while sleepin

Postby barnesmt. » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:42 pm

can anyone tell me what a normal heart rate is for a sleeping two year old is and what would be concedered to low
barnesmt.

Postby lorenzomama » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:42 pm

According to most sources, the range for children 2-3 years old is between 80-120. There's a lot of variation in what is considered normal depending on the circumstances (child's size, activity level -- even in sleep activity level changes, etc.). It is important for children with sleep apnea to be monitored by a cardiologist, if possible, to assure that the heart is not being negatively affected by the oxygen desaturations. The length of time that one's heart rate remains low or high is the biggest concern -- a very low heart rate can occur for a short time for a variety of benign reasons, but if it is very low (or very high) for longer periods, that can be a serious problem.

Any concerns and/or observations about a child's heart rate should be discussed with their physician, especially when apnea is at play.
lorenzomama

Postby shelee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:41 am

We were given the range of 70-110 (resting) for children who are between 1-3 years old. Basically, our cardio said that anything out of the child's norm could be a cause for concern. Recently our son, 4, went as low as 55 (norm 65-110) several times in one night. However, he didn't stay that low for more than 30 seconds to a minute and soon went back the other way with a resting heart rate of 120. If you're concerned it would be wise to follow up with your child's ped or cardiologist. Each child has their own "normal" and I've heard of several kids who typically have a resting heart rate that's well below normal due to their disorder.
shelee

Postby TiffanyAcuff » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:55 am

The heartrate is based more on size and weight and activity level than the age. Our son is almost 3 years old, stands at 34 inches, weighs 29lbs, and is reasonably active, although does fatigue easily. His resting heartrate gets set at 50 for a low because he tends to sit in the 60s at night. Neither the pediatrician or neurologists are concerned with his heartrates, because they have been consistently lower than the "normal". If he was a typical child, even at his weight and height, then they would expect his resting heartrate to be between 70-110bpm. His alarm is set to 50 and 140, because those are considered to be dangerous for him...

You would be wise to check with his pediatrician and his sleep doc.

Tiffany
TiffanyAcuff

Postby barnesmt. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:01 am

well thanks everyone the only thing is he is not the one with appnea his brother is and we are concerned that his brother may have it to and we just have not noticed
barnesmt.

Postby MotherWhimsey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm

we regularly see 50's and 60's but my kid is weird. We don't worry till the 40's and don't freak till the 30's. We've seen the 30's a couple of times. conversely, I've seen his HR at 225 while sleeping. I suppose it depends on the kid and what is causing the issue. Anything over 200 is okay for about 3 days before it causes damage, anything in the 30's can cause strokes from blood clotting because it's flowing too slow. Also with the bradycardia they can have trouble keeping their sats up. But sometimes there is an odd kid like mine who is 2 and sits in the 60's and 50's at night and is totally fine and that's just normal for them.
MotherWhimsey

HLHS Baby with low heartrate when sleeping.

Postby HLHS Momma » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:48 am

Hi. I have a 1 year old who was born with HLHS (hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome) He is on a pulse ox monitor at night. Lately, when he goes to sleep his heart rate with drop in the 60's. Normal levels are set at 70-165. His 02 because of his condition and because he still needs to have his 3rd and final surgery has a limit of 75-85 which he runs higher then that and is fine. My question i guess is can they go into such a deep sleep that the heart rate drops like that? His 02 doesn't move but maybe down to 86 from 88-89. It also doesn't stay there. It's only there for a few seconds and then bounces back up within normal limits. He is pretty active during the day. His father i know has a very what i would call Laid back heart. His heart rate is generally lower then normal but they said it's fine. He doesn't have a CHD nor do anyone on either side of our family. This was just a freak accident that happened. I called his cardiologist and they said not to bring him in when it first started doing this which was only about a week ago. So i'm lost as to what to do....Do i worry? Or do i just go on and try not to jump everytime that monitor goes off? Granted he's not retracting with his breathing when it drops, and he stays sound asleep..... Concerned yet confused....
HLHS Momma

Postby shelee » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:43 am

I don't have a heart baby (his was surgically fixed when he was 18 months old) so I'm not sure that what I was told would apply to your son.... Generally if it's a quick drop and bounces back to the normal range within a minute or two it's not as concerning as it would be if it dropped and stayed there. The thing that I tend to rely on most is that mom's know best. If you've got a gut feeling that something is wrong, it's probably worth reporting to your doctor (after making sure that his leads are attached correctly and you're getting a good reading). It's good that he's not retracting.

Just a side note.... My dd has had 3 sleep studies done over the past year and a half. Her heart rate dropped as low as 57 on the first, 31 on the second and 26 on the third. Because it didn't stay down very long her doctor wasn't concerned.
shelee

Postby lindalewis » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:40 am

Hi. I have a 1 year old who was born with HLHS (hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome) He is on a pulse ox monitor at night. Lately, when he goes to sleep his heart rate with drop in the 60's. Normal levels are set at 70-165. His 02 because of his condition and because he still needs to have his 3rd and final surgery has a limit of 75-85 which he runs higher then that and is fine. My question i guess is can they go into such a deep sleep that the heart rate drops like that? His 02 doesn't move but maybe down to 86 from 88-89. It also doesn't stay there. It's only there for a few seconds and then bounces back up within normal limits. He is pretty active during the day. His father i know has a very what i would call Laid back heart. His heart rate is generally lower then normal but they said it's fine. He doesn't have a CHD nor do anyone on either side of our family. This was just a freak accident that happened. I called his cardiologist and they said not to bring him in when it first started doing this which was only about a week ago. So i'm lost as to what to do....Do i worry? Or do i just go on and try not to jump everytime that monitor goes off? Granted he's not retracting with his breathing when it drops, and he stays sound asleep..... Concerned yet confused....

I am facing same problem like you have :-(
lindalewis

• Site Supporter

Return to Pediatric Sleep Apnea