• Site Supporter

Puffy Eyes and Face

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Puffy Eyes and Face

Postby GreggG » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi all. This is my first post. I never knew this forum existed. I've been a CPAP person for a little over a year now. I was originally using a ResMed Auto Spirit set at a straight CPAP setting of 13cms. I never really felt like it was doing the job properly. I continued to tell my Dr. that something was still not right.

Finally, I switched to a new sleep clinic Dr. This new Dr. is the head of the whole clinic. He had me retested and now I am on a Resperonics BiPaP/Auto, set to straight BiPap of 23 inhale 18 exhale. The new Dr. explained my test and showed me where the pressure needed to be. Now I think I'm on the right track, finally.

Now the issue. With the pressure as high as it is, I have to really have the FF mask clamped on pretty tight. I am not waking up at night, so I don't know if I have air leaks or not, but my eye lids and below my eyes look like I got beat up, they are so swollen in the morning when I get up. Do you think it is because of the tight mask, or air leaks around the eyes while I'm asleep? When I am going to sleep I don't feel any leaks, but I start my ramp at 12cms, so maybe it leaks after the pressure raises.

Second question, where can I buy a CPAP pillow? I've read some of the threads where people are mentioning they help keep the mask sealed when you are on your side. Also, is there any adhesive I could put on the mask that would make it seal better with less strap tension? I am a professional, and I can't be going to the office looking like Rocky Balboa. :-?
GreggG

Postby SnoozeHunter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Wish I could help you out with this one, Gregg. I have the same problem. Sometimes my eyes are swollen and purple underneath when I wake up. It looks like I've been brawling.

My doc had the settings on my bipap bumped up a notch, but I still get the technicolor bags.
SnoozeHunter

PAP pillow; eye area swelling

Postby frankie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Hi Gregg,
Here's where you can buy a PAP pillow: [Commercial link deleted-Please review policy on links to commercial storefronts at the top of Sleep Apnea Help Topic] on "Accessories" on the left hand column, then "Misc". If that link doesn't work, you'll have to go to [Commercial link deleted] and navigate. (User-friendly.) I have not personally purchased from them, but I like their site.

I also get puffiness around my eyes (I believe from the pressure of the mask on my face, as my air pressure is "only" 9-11), in addition to sometimes getting red weepy eyes from leaks or the export holes. Here is a BIG and INSTANT help for puffy eyes: Put a metal spoon (any size; I use teaspoons) in the freezer for a few minutes or forever. (I have 2-4 spoons in the freezer at any time. I do throw them in the dishwasher after use.) Then take the really cold spoon and just place it over a puffy eye for a moment, then continue moving the cold spoon around, touching puffy areas (just for a second or three) until the spoon isn't cold anymore. I can usually get both eyes done with one spoon. Don't dismiss this as silly until you try it. (Try it first on one eye, then look in the mirror.)

There are also a number of cosmetic products to treat puffy eyes. Most of the less expensive ones work nearly as well as the really expensive ones. Part of the key to their effectiveness is that they have a chilling effect. (Oil of Olay has an inexpensive eye gel that works pretty well, is inexpensive, and is not at all greasy. You can buy it for "your wife".) There are also products to reduce the darkness. I've seen them in catalogues, but never paid much attention, since I, fortunately, do not have that problem. (My husband does, but his are allergy related, so they come and go.)

Good luck.
Frankie
^. .^
frankie

Postby BARBCCRN » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:18 am

I had the puffiness my first few weeks of CPAP use. In my case I had my mask loose but comfortable-the puffiness was due to leakage at top of mask directed towards my eyes. I now tend to wear my mask tighter and no longer get puffiness. I do have red lines from mask but these disappear after about 30 minutes and I'm able to camouflage the marks with make-up. The fitting of the mask-seems like a continuous learning process/learning curve issue.
EVERY SILVER LINING HAS A TOUCH OF GREY
-Grateful Dead
BARBCCRN

Puffy eyes and discoloration

Postby Miss Rumphius » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi GregG,

I asked Respironics if there was anything I could use to make my mask stick to my face. The answer was no, it would either deteriorate the mask or irritate the skin. What I have found that works well is "Wet Ones" moist wipes, available in drugstores. I wipe my face just before bed and again during the night if there are leaks I can't resolve.

The chilled spoon sounds wacky but worth trying. I've also heard that lying down for a few minutes with damp tea bags on your eyes will reduce swelling. (LOL -- I just had a mental picture of you doing this.)

I too have dark-colored circles under my eyes, but mine are hereditary (eye veins too close to the top of my skin). Women commonly use under-eye concealer to cover these, and I think you could, too. There are many brands, sold in drugstores. Getting the right match for your skin is tricky. Take a female friend with you, or if you can find a salesclerk, ask her for help.

Nancy
Miss Rumphius

Postby BARBCCRN » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:18 pm

8-) 8-) Try making the top straps slightly tighter on your headgear and loosen the bottom straps very slightly. This is how I stopped the leaks into the eyes from occurring. Yea,the first week of CPAP-my eyes were so swollen;I looked like I had gone 10 rounds. :lol: :lol:
EVERY SILVER LINING HAS A TOUCH OF GREY
-Grateful Dead
BARBCCRN

Postby IzzyB » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:06 pm

I found that when my mask caused puffy or dry eyes when previously it had not, it was time for a new mask. But here is an option that may help you that I use when needed. I use one of the those eye sleep sleep pads. Cannot think of proper name. But they are the mask you wear to keep the light out of your eyes at night/during the day. They help protect the eyes from the air and....they are comfortable too.
IzzyB

Puffy Eyes

Postby Rip » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Lying down with damp tea bags on your eyes may sound absurd, b ut it works.
It was a trick used by Hollywood actresses for years, including Joan Crawford

It may look ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than the hose.
Rip

Postby GreggG » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:16 am

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will try them all. The spoon one makes sense, I tryed using an ice cube before and I think it helped a little.
GreggG

Pus in eye from C-Pap

Postby Arthur » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi, this is my first post, and I would like to see if anyone has the same problem as I do. When the C-Pap is on at night, it blows air up into my right eye causing pus.

I have had this problem right from the beginning to the point my eye Dr. put a shunt in my tear duct to help stop this. But the shunt came out and she cannot do anymore. But I have to have Antibiotic drops in my eye every day.

I blow my nose at night to make sure there is nothing there to irritate my eye, but to no avail.

Down in Texas, my Dr. had two other patients that had this problem. NO matter what mask I have used, and I have used several and also used just the nasal fixture and the problem still persisits.

My next mask is supposed to be just to the mouth with the nose being held shut. I do not know of anyone that has used this device. If anyone has used this, please let me know and if it did the job you wanted it to do.

Thank you

Arthur :-(
Arthur

Postby buckeyejohn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Has anyone tried the oral or total face c-pap mask? I read some patient reviews and they were not encouraging. My swelling is in my right eye only and it only happens after I sleep on my right side. I always start out sleeping on myleft side but have to change position during night and that is when it happens. I position my head so there is no pressure on mask and still get this swollens eye issue. It never leaks when I am awake even with no RAMP on so I am fighting a leak I cannot find. Open for suggestions. JT
buckeyejohn

Postby buckeyejohn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:09 pm

To everyone who has swollen eyes from cpap---10 days ago I went to Wal Green and for $10 bought a sleep mask --you know like the lone rangers mask without the eye holes---and I put this on and then my full face mask and guess what---absolutely no swelling in eyes. In fact the bags under my eyes are getting smaller and smaller. Believe me I had a lot of enduration under my right eye every morning and now it is totally gone. This worked instantly for me and I hope that you have the same luck---At least try it John:roll:
buckeyejohn

Postby joyciebee » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:33 am

buckeyejohn wrote:To everyone who has swollen eyes from cpap---10 days ago I went to Wal Green and for $10 bought a sleep mask --you know like the lone rangers mask without the eye holes---and I put this on and then my full face mask and guess what---absolutely no swelling in eyes. In fact the bags under my eyes are getting smaller and smaller. Believe me I had a lot of enduration under my right eye every morning and now it is totally gone. This worked instantly for me and I hope that you have the same luck---At least try it John:roll:

John, thank you so much! i am having an awful time with dry, irritated eyes. It is driving me crazy. My opthalmologist said he believes it is the Bi-pap machine. I called the respiratory therapist and she said she had never heard of Bipap drying out eyes.
joyciebee

Re: Puffy Eyes and Face

Postby joekort » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:27 am

When you put the Walgreen mask on do you put the mask on tap of the sleep mask?
joekort

Machine: Bipap Phillips Reprionics
Mask: Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: Puffy Eyes and Face

Postby buckeyejohn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 am

No put mask on then the bi or cpap mask on. I switched mask and now I have no leaks blowing onto the skin under my eyes. It is worth trying all the mask your suppliers has. I took a pillow and laid down to really give a complete test to the mask and found the right one for my face. The sleep mask doesn't make the air leak go away it just protects your skin and eyes from the intense air leak. Good luck and seriously spend some time trying different mask. I even switched to a medium from a large because even though the large fits more comfy-it leaked air. I would have never thought a medium would work but it did.
buckeyejohn

Next

• Site Supporter