cpap is doing something to my voice

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

cpap is doing something to my voice

Postby speechless » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 am

happy saturday everyone,
I was going to the call the doctor about this question, but everyone here is just as good if not better than my doctors! When I wake up in the morning and talk, my voice kind of fades away It's feels like when you have a severe dry throat and you need to drink some water to help it. So thinking that it was a dry throat, I turned up the humidifer so much that I got a rain out. Also, i've been very producing a lot of mucus (perhaps post nasal drip). Please,if someone can give me some input or any advice that would make my week.
Thanks,
Speechless (literally)
speechless

Postby Bearded One » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:25 pm

It sounds like you may be mouth breathing when you sleep. The dryness associated with mouth breathing is caused by a rather large volume of air being blown into your nose and out your mouth. Mouth breathing also negates the therapeutic effects of CPAP.
Bearded One

Postby hhopper » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:57 pm

You might have a case of laryngitis.

Encyclopedia of Medicine wrote:In laryngitis, the tissues below the level of the epiglottis are swollen and inflamed. This causes swelling around the area of the vocal cords, so that they cannot vibrate normally. A hoarse sound to the voice is very characteristic of laryngitis. Laryngitis is a very common problem, and often occurs during the course of an upper respiratory tract infection (cold).

Acronyms and Often Used Forum Phrases
Respironics? M-Series Auto w/ HH & C-Flex; Flexfit? Hybrid? Mask, Encore Pro 1.8i
hhopper

Postby CarlRPSGT » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:17 am

Bearded One wrote:It sounds like you may be mouth breathing when you sleep. The dryness associated with mouth breathing is caused by a rather large volume of air being blown into your nose and out your mouth. Mouth breathing also negates the therapeutic effects of CPAP.

Very good point Bearded One. One way to tell if you are mouthbreathing, speechless, is to check you humidifier when you wake up. If you have a significantly low amount of water, then you are most likely mouth breathing (or have a leak somewhere). If you have almost the same amount of water as when you started the night before, then it's not mouth breathing. Let us know.
Happy CPAP'ing
CarlRPSGT

• Site Supporter