Machine shuts itself off!

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Machine shuts itself off!

Postby minolta25 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:08 pm

My DH was just placed on CPAP therapy. He has the Respironics BIPAP Plus M series with heated humidifier. He says that the machine has shut itself off several times and I am baffled. Is this possible and if so, why.

ALso, I have tried to determine the settings and all I can get are just the basics. How do you guys get all your information?

BTW, his machine does NOT have the smart card.
minolta25

Postby CrohnieToo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:18 pm

The Respironics BiPap Plus is not data capable other than compliance data which is just offical verification of his usage. No Respironics w/Plus in the model name is fully data capable.

Most likely his Plus has some form of SmartStart/SmartOff. I'm not totally familiar w/the Respironics so can't say what Respironics calls that feature.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:14 pm

My AUTO M BiLevel was shutting itself off...they had to replace it... and since you have to call them to get them to replace it :-) push for the Data Capable..such as the Auto M Bilevel... Insurance will cover it the same as the one you have so don't let the DME tell you otherwise.
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby minolta25 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:27 am

CrohnieToo wrote:The Respironics BiPap Plus is not data capable other than compliance data which is just offical verification of his usage. No Respironics w/Plus in the model name is fully data capable.

Most likely his Plus has some form of SmartStart/SmartOff. I'm not totally familiar w/the Respironics so can't say what Respironics calls that feature.

Thanks for your help. I am learning so much here.
minolta25

Postby minolta25 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:29 am

Mrs Rip Van Winkle wrote:My AUTO M BiLevel was shutting itself off...they had to replace it... and since you have to call them to get them to replace it :-) push for the Data Capable..such as the Auto M Bilevel... Insurance will cover it the same as the one you have so don't let the DME tell you otherwise.

That's the problem - going back to the DME! :-x We got such lousy service the first time and that is why I NEVER want to deal with that *person* again!! I have been in touch with HER supervisor and will see what she says.
minolta25

Postby Buck222 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:50 am

Is the BiPap Auto M Series fully data capable?
(This may explain a few things to me)
Buck222

Postby lking » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Buck222 wrote:Is the BiPap Auto M Series fully data capable?
(This may explain a few things to me)

Yes, it is.
OSA Sleep Test 8/29/07, AHI 64/Sat. 74%
Titrated 10/1/07 and 9/30/08
BiPAP Auto M Series w/Humidifier 15/10cm
Opus 360 Mask; Ruby chinstrap
lking

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Well, Minolta, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. It seems there are a LOT of local DME supplier's RTs who aren't worth diddley-squat!
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby lynn543 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:46 pm

if the CPAP is still under warranty he should contact respironics about a replacement
I suspect the machine is faulty, I had a different brand that shut down every so often, it was an electrical fault with it
resmed S6 lightweight, respironics comfort gell mask using CPAP since 1995, no humidifier
during my many years of undiagnosed severe fatigue, no doctor ever asked me if I snored
lynn543

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:32 am

Now...coming back a little late here but, there is an auto off function on the machine..that could possibly be the culprit. I checked that prior to making a stink..making sure it was turned off.
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Postby minolta25 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:13 pm

Mrs Rip Van Winkle wrote:Now...coming back a little late here but, there is an auto off function on the machine..that could possibly be the culprit. I checked that prior to making a stink..making sure it was turned off.

It's really a moot point. We are feuding with the DME and will be switching within the next few days. Should the "auto-off" be enabled or disabled? It is all so confusing.
minolta25

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:34 pm

disabled....if it is on (enabled) all it is suppose to do is turn the machine off after it detects the air just blowing without someone breathing. Shoot, I am probably way off here but what if a person was having a super long apnea and the machine shut off because it thought someone took the mask off!..probably works differently then how I see it to work.

I feuded with mine a little..had it about 2 or 3 weeks before noticing it happening. They tried to replace it with a used one...I checked the blower hours and saw that it had been used for over 700 hours and refused it....told them I wanted new..tried to tell me that mine is not new that I have used it...told them that it is not my fault I got a lemon and want a brand new machine..called the supervisor in another location and got it.

I think it is the power bricks..also when the RT finaly got me a new, new one she said that they had changed the way the cords are...mine has one coming off the humidifier and one off the machine and meeting at the power brick..the new one is really the old way before the power bricks..a cord goes between humidifier and machine..then one cord leads down to plug in...forget if the new style has the power brick or not. Now this is not saying that it is the power brick that is causing it....I haven't a true clue..but what I was thinking.

Heard of a few people having this problem with the M series..not that it is a bad machine..they are good machines...just something going on.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Postby BARBCCRN » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:38 pm

I had a Resmed S7 Elite that used to shut itself off all of the time. Went back to Resmed twice they couldn't find the problem. Finally...my DME let me keep the loaner and I haven't had 1 problem since.
EVERY SILVER LINING HAS A TOUCH OF GREY
-Grateful Dead
BARBCCRN

Postby minolta25 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Wow! So much knowledge here. Thanks again you all. That's why I keep comin' back :-)
minolta25

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions