Provent therapy--for travel, backpacking--reviews?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Provent therapy--for travel, backpacking--reviews?

Postby hegel123 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi: I backpack in the mountains and am looking for something to get by with while off my cpap. The Provent nasal devices are super light and portable. Has anyone tried this? Comments would be welcome. EDIT: oh yikes I forgot to check out previous threads! I'll read those now. any further comments still welcome!
hegel123

Re: Provent therapy--for travel, backpacking--reviews?

Postby Todzo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 pm

hegel123 wrote:Hi: I backpack in the mountains and am looking for something to get by with while off my cpap. The Provent nasal devices are super light and portable. Has anyone tried this? Comments would be welcome. EDIT: oh yikes I forgot to check out previous threads! I'll read those now. any further comments still welcome!

Two comments:

For less than 200 dollars you can probably get a very small machine which you could use up there. The battery pack would be expensive (around $350.00) but probably doable.

Some of my reading lately has mentioned that ventilatory instability tends to become worse up there (3000'+). This means you may more tend to have hypocapnic central apneas if you already to. If you wake up sometimes with a dry mouth with your nose feeling a bit like you were just in a fight this could be a concern.

Have a lot of fun!!

Todzo
AHI=52 SpO2 Nadir=55% (!!!) Focus & Vigilance problems w/PTSD from Trauma
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Pulse oximeter CMS-50-F, night audio recorded via Audacity or Linux “sox”. Zeo.
Todzo

Postby hegel123 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks, Todzo. Good point about altitude effecting the usefulness of Provent. I'm an ultralight backpacker on a limited budget; hard to imagine carrying any kind of cpap machine. I'm one of those guys who cut my toothbrush in half! Happily, I rarely have bad sleep nights in the mountains. I do sleep in my own tent, which helps because I don't have to worry about bothering tent-mates with my snoring. I'm just looking for a stop-gap measure.

Reading posts here about dental devices have sort of warned me off. I would only try a cheapy bite-down device that seems to require weeks of adjustments to make it work. Also there are side effects.

Still waiting for the miracle backpacking product!
hegel123

Postby Todzo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:08 pm

hegel123 wrote:Thanks, Todzo. Good point about altitude effecting the usefulness of Provent. I'm an ultralight backpacker on a limited budget; hard to imagine carrying any kind of cpap machine. I'm one of those guys who cut my toothbrush in half! Happily, I rarely have bad sleep nights in the mountains. I do sleep in my own tent, which helps because I don't have to worry about bothering tent-mates with my snoring. I'm just looking for a stop-gap measure.

Reading posts here about dental devices have sort of warned me off. I would only try a cheapy bite-down device that seems to require weeks of adjustments to make it work. Also there are side effects.

Still waiting for the miracle backpacking product!

Hi again!

If I were you I think I would try to see what positional therapies worked well. There is the ol' tennis ball sewed into the back of the T-shirt thing (to keep you off of your back). I have had good luck positioning my head as if I were looking up (which kind of puts the jaw forward and, in my case, seems to open up the airway passage and make my tongue less likely to fall back - works in any position). I have also learned to open my mouth a bit - let my jaw fall forward, and let my tongue move a bit between this forward moved open teeth. Much more room in the back. I have often wondered if one made a neck brace designed to keep the jaw up (as if you were looking up) would work.

Other than that, keep up on the anti-inflammatory foods (canned salmon is amazingly good - for that matter smoked salmon might make a very tasty pack). Take some good anti-oxidant foods. And by alll means have a lot of fun!!

Have a great trip!

Todzo
AHI=52 SpO2 Nadir=55% (!!!) Focus & Vigilance problems w/PTSD from Trauma
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Pulse oximeter CMS-50-F, night audio recorded via Audacity or Linux “sox”. Zeo.
Todzo

Postby Vicki » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:04 am

Hegel,

Some people, like me, have apneas in any position. Your sleep study should say if your apnea was positional or not. If your apnea is not positional, go with the Provent and be comfortable. According to the Provent studies on its website, it decreases the AHI by around 50%, so that is what you can expect. If you have moderate to severe apneas, you will still be having them.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby Chattabob » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm

does this work with people who hold their breath as apposed to the airway becomming blocked? Im guessing not
Chattabob

Postby Vicki » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:15 pm

It doesn't work for central apneas if that is what you mean Chattabob. It only works for obstructive apneas and works by putting a back pressure in the throat thereby keeping it open.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

Vicki

Postby truckerdad57 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Check Transcend they are a brand of portable battery operated cpap. They seemed designed for temporary use when traveling. I think they were working on a solar recharging option for wilderness use.

While its weight.. I would be REAL careful about not having good positive pressure therapy while at altitiude. You do not want to risk increasing the posssibilities of HAPE high altitude pulmonary edema or high altitude cerebral edema.

Better to carry some extra weight than end up getting an air evac and ruining the trip for your whole group.
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Postby hegel123 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 pm

truckerdad57 thanks for your concern; I wouldn't want to spoil my friends' trip or suffer HAPE etc. I've been backpacking all my life and am knowledgeable about my limits. Happily my apnea is such that I can get by sleeping at altitude (10,00 feet) pretty well--surprisingly well actually: I think that I'm just tuckered out by bedtime! Also--and here's a tip for backpackers--I sleep in my own tent. I'll look into Transcend. It seems unlikely that a lightweight machine could power up for four to ten nights, but if so, and it's not too heavy, then I owe you big time! And yes, Vicki, my apnea is indeed not positional but obstructive; in fact I'm a side/stomach sleeper.
hegel123

Postby Chattabob » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Vicki wrote:It doesn't work for central apneas if that is what you mean Chattabob. It only works for obstructive apneas and works by putting a backpressure in the throat thereby keeping it open.

Vicki

I just tend to hold my breath so I dont know what that would come under
Chattabob

Postby Vicki » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:09 pm

hegie123. Positional or non-positional Obstructive Sleep Apnea is all still OSA. It just means whether you have more apneas (usually on your back) than another position. I don't know where to find them. But there are solar chargers. Search for "solar" using this site's search engine because that is where I saw them.

Vicki
Marilyn Vos Savant

Vicki

Postby jscholz » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 pm

I've been using a portable 12 volt battery that weighs about 7 pounds along with my cpap machine when I backpack. Its reasonably light, but more importantly, to me, effective. I also use it for air travel, etc. You can private message me if you want the name of the manufacturer and where I bought it so you can do the research. I am not an ultralight backpacker so the weight is acceptable and being able to sleep effectively is what my wife and I need at the cost of carrying the extra weight. Good luck.
jscholz

Postby hegel123 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi, jscholz: thanks for your reply. Seven pounds is just way too heavy for my needs! However, I did just return from a backpacking trip into the Sierra (Yosemite) and tried Provent--which weighs about one ounce for four nights! Here's what I found:

1) I had a terrible time establishing a seal with these things. This was probably my fault, in that I didn't do a good job cleaning the sunscreen/oils from my nose before applying Provent. Also, I have a goatee--bad!

2)on the one night that I got a good seal, Provent worked pretty well; definitely better than nothing at all, as I learned on the three other nights when I did not achieve a seal!

3)I'll practice more with Provent and definitely bring these along on my next backpacking trip, because I experienced a better night's sleep the one night Provent "sealed up". I know because I dreamed at length that night and didn't keep waking myself up every ten minutes with snoring etc.

4) it's hard to both hold a mirror and affix Provent to your nostrils. Again, I'm going to practice and hopefully get better at establishing a seal--Provent is worthless without a seal!

5)I have moderate apnea. I would never consider replacing my cpap with Provent at home. Maybe I'll try Provent on regular travel--i.e. motels etc.--if I discover that it works o.k. with a good seal. To be determined.
hegel123

Postby jscholz » Thu May 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Hegel123,

My sleep apnea is severe so I tolerate the additional weight I'm carrying with the battery and cpap by take less of other stuff.

Good luck with the provent.
jscholz

Postby painternc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 pm

I have been trying the Provent. Actually having a hard time with it - but I really want it to work. Even if it was just for traveling - what a difference that would make.
I have spoked to a customer care person there several times so that I can understand how to get a good seal. Yes would be very difficult without a mirror. Yes skin needs no oil. Then you have to be able just to go to sleep and if you and in the percent that this method works for - once you are asleep it will take over.
I'm not sleeping very well with it - works opposite the masks - but I am going to keep on trying
painternc

Next

• Site Supporter