• Site Supporter

pressure setting on nasal vs. full face mask

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

pressure setting on nasal vs. full face mask

Postby Al Bundy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 pm

i'm curious if a person's pressure is suppose to be the same with a nasal mask and a full face mask. I ask because my wife says I snore with my quattro fx full face but not with the mirage fx nasal. I'd rather use the nasal mask but can't seem to keep my mouth closed (which is disappointing because I did so well the first night I used the nasal mask). I'm running the machine in straight CPAP at 15cm which was my titration #---- I like both mask and probably will just have to stick to the FFM but need to fix this snoring problem, which may mean a pressure increase.......Also on a side note could mouth leaks with a nasal mask cause clear airway apnea readings on the s9? I get allot of those and they seem to correlate with the high number leaks when, apparently, I open my mouth at night? Thanks for any help

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Al Bundy

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX
Humidifier: Yes H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: pressure setting on nasal vs. full face mask

Postby theantichick » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't know about the pressure difference - though when I got a Mirage Liberty because congestion during allergy season is keeping me from using my Swift FX, they didn't say anything about changing the pressure.

I also found I open my mouth a lot with the nasal pillows, but corrected it with a chin strap and once my allergy season is over, will be going back to that.
theantichick

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask: Swift FX/ Mirage Liberty
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Al Bundy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Thats interesting. I guess they would have told you if you needed to up the pressure when using the FFM so it must not be necessary. I don't know what could be causing my problem then. Thanks for the info though.
Al Bundy

Postby CrohnieToo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:51 am

I've probably gone thru at least 20 masks in my quest for "the" perfect mask for me. I did find a definite "feeling" of air pressure between a couple of nasal cushion masks as well a different "feeling" of pressure between one particular full face mask and one particular nasal cushion mask. I don't know if I actually did need a pressure change between masks when I encountered this but being a "creature of comfort" AND a "sinner" I did change my pressure setting just 1 cm to accomate the "feeling" w/the mask.

I would have asked first - but - my DME provider's RRT was out w/a death in the family at the same time my sleep doctor was unavailable. The second time it occurred I didn't bother trying to contact either since I had had "success" w/my earlier "sin".
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Al Bundy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm a rebel then too- lol because I knocked my pressure up 1cm haha. Seemed to help some, at least according to my charts.
Al Bundy

Postby CrohnieToo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Well, changing your pressure yourself w/o professional supervision is NOT something I encourage. But prior to this my sleep doctor and RRT were both aware I knew how to access my data, had the software, and my sleep doctor had already made the comment that I knew more about the options my PAP device provided than he did.

And the second time I did it it turned out I only needed .5 cm LESS pressure w/the new mask. My sleep doctor always insisted: one change at a time, one week at a time and I've always respected and adhered to that when I have taken matters into my own hands AND I've always kept him informed of any "sins" I've occasionally committed.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!