FAQ · Search

Mobile Site | Full Site

Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]
| Download as PDF |

RE: More Discussion on Swollen Ankles????

Sun May 06, 2007 7:29 pm Post
I have been on CPAP for about 4 days now at 10cm pressure. I now have swollen ankles, that are somewhat sore, like the skin is stretched or something...How many of you have had this problem starting CPAP? :cry:
Last post

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask: Ultra Mirage
Humidifier: YES
Year Diagnosed: 2006
Sun May 06, 2007 8:49 pm Post
CPAP should actually alleviate your swollen ankles. Swollen ankles are a complication of sleep apnea. I've had swollen ankles for years now and wasn't sure why. Between loosing some weight and cpap, my swelling has improved. Give it about 3 weeks and you should notice an improvement.

Sun May 06, 2007 9:37 pm Post
This might help. The discussion is about idiopathic (no apparent cause) leg swelling. This doctor says sleep apnea is often overlooked:

American Family Physician wrote
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Associated with Leg Edema

to the editor: In an otherwise comprehensive review of the causes and treatment of edema in American Family Physician, O’Brien and colleagues make no mention of idiopathic edema or sleep apnea. Several years ago, my colleagues and I identified idiopathic edema as the most common cause of bilateral leg edema in the primary care setting. More recently, we have shown that idiopathic edema is associated with obstructive sleep apnea in women. In addition, treating the obstructive sleep apnea reduces or eliminates the amount of swelling in patients who have obstructive sleep apnea and leg edema. This information may or may not have an impact upon the clinical care of patients with edema. The majority of my patients with obstructive sleep apnea and leg edema are not interested in treating the obstructive sleep apnea, primarily because they do not complain of excessive daytime sleepiness. Consequently, I often prescribe a diuretic to treat the leg edema, which is what many physicians do when their patients complain of leg edema with no apparent cause.

Robert P. Blankfield, M.D., M.S.

RE: Swelling down a little

Mon May 07, 2007 7:01 am Post
Thanks for the info. I am going to call my sleep center Nurse Practitioner today. I also am on Verapamil (a calicium channel blocker) for high blood pressure. I know that sometimes Calcium Channel Blockers can cause "peripheral edema" (like swollen ankles) but I have been on that for awhile...so we will see....maybe I am feeling better and dont need such a high dosage of Verapamil. ( I am currently on 240mg) I will call today and check that out :-)

Mon May 07, 2007 10:09 am Post
I recently had a few days of swollen ankles but the Dr. assures me that it is not related to CPAP. I think mine was related to a course of Steroids I had taken a couple of weeks before. I did double time diuretics for about 10 days and my swollen ankles are gone for now.

mine

Mon May 07, 2007 12:18 pm Post
I have had swollen ankles in the past somewhat but now that I am on cpap for one month they are SO much worse. I can only wear one pair of shoes and they are stretched sooooo tight. I also thought they should get better with cpap but that isn't the case with me. I will be going to the doctor tomorrow to rule out other things.

RE: I called my Doc too....

Mon May 07, 2007 12:28 pm Post
I called my Doctor regarding the swollen ankles and he "hopefully" will get back to me...I am "well overdue" for a change in Physician....he is notorious for not getting back to patients and losing test results etc etc etc...I also am trying to get in touch with the Nurse Practitioner at the Sleep Clinc..... :cry:

Mon May 07, 2007 1:51 pm Post
merywidow wrote
I have had swollen ankles in the past somewhat but now that I am on cpap for one month they are SO much worse. 

Swollen ankles can result directly from sleep apnea. Yet, it more likely a combination of conditions leading to swollen ankles (i.e. obesity, high blood pressure, heart failure). CPAP can help alleviate some of the symptoms (i.e. high blood pressure, pulmonary hypertension, leg swelling) but you should take into consideration any chronic conditions you have.

RE: Heard back from MD

Mon May 07, 2007 2:39 pm Post
He basically blew me away...if it continues or gets worse call me...I am not happy with that answer at all
I have High Blood Pressure and I am on 240mg Verapamil....(which I know can cause swollen ankles...)
I never had this problem before CPAP...I think the best bet would be to contact the Nurse Practitioner at
the Sleep Center and maybe he can run it by the Pulmonary Doc's....
But I certainly will continue CPAP...I am sleeping soooo much better!
=D>

Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:58 pm Post
cjsmom, did you ever find out about your swelling?

I've had swollen ankles somewhat for years, but in the last three weeks, it's gotten worse, and my legs have pitting edema in them as well. I have an appointment for a physical on Thursday, something my doc wanted to do when I asked about the edema.

Pam

Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:26 pm Post
Hi all. I've had this same problem a few months ago after almost 6 months on CPAP. People here encouraged me to contact my doctor which I did so to rule out heart problems etc. Long story short, after several tests, including kidney ultrasound, heart/blood work, etc. etc. there was nothing wrong with me. I am on diuretics for blood pressure and I have found that if I drink more water the swelling seems to be much less of a problem. See if this simple solution helps you - it could save you a lot of tests and stress. Good luck.

Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:29 pm Post
I have the same problem.... I just started CPAP 4 weeks ago and ever since my ankles have been swollen. It doesn't seem coincidental when I read posts like these with people experiencing the same thing.

CPAP and swelling

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:55 am Post
I have been searching the internet for something that would tell me if using CPAP can cause retention of water. Everything on me is swollen after 1 month on CPAP. I have LOW blood pressure and the only medication I take is Lexapro and allergy pills, which I have taken both for many years. I am going to have the doctor test me for other problems, but after reading these posts I am wondering if the CPAP is the problem.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:47 pm Post
Divonna: If you’re looking for a cause of your water retention, you might be overlooking other conditions. It’s not likely for CPAP to cause edema. If you’re using CPAP that means you may also be at risk for obesity, heart disease and high blood pressure. If you have any of those conditions, they are more likely to be associated with your edema. Please see your doctor.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic