Hello! I'm new to the forum and in need of some experienced input. I was diagnosed with OSA somewhere around 2006 or so, I can't recall. I've been using the CPAP religiously ever since with mixed results. I'm kinda sorta better but not really. Some years back I needed replacement parts for the CPAP and was sent back for another sleep test. After the test I was told my pressure threshold would be upped from 12 to 14, but when the tech came to my house to replace the machine he set it at 12 again. I crossed him about this but he insisted that his orders were to set it at 12. This is completely my fault but I never fought it. I just went on and continued using the CPAP with 'Meh' results. The whole process of having to find a ride to the sleep study place and going to all these appointments just to get a measley faulty part replaced wore me down and I just couldn't be bothered.
So my CPAP malfunctioned again. It took a long time for me to muster up the fortitude to report it and when I did I found that the med supply place went out of business. So I'm back on the conveyer belt of going back to the sleep doc and they want me to have ANOTHER sleep study! Not only that but they want to put me on drugs. Some stuff called Provacil or something like that to keep me awake during the day. I *INSISTED* they replace the faulty CPAP part with the correct settings and not hold it ransom while they run me through another one of their fun-house red tape processes. I finally got my new part with the correct setting two days ago and it seems to be working. I'm not jumping up in the morning singing a new song yet but my hope is that this will finally start to bring out some improvement.
My issue is, I really really really want to blow off this new sleep study. I would prefer to wait and see what happens if my apnea finally receives the treatment it's supposed to before going back for a cumbersome study that may be unnecessary. Also I just got a call from a nurse saying that my insurance has approved me for this drug they want me to start taking.
DRUGS?!? Are you kidding me? No. This all seems highly suspect to me. I don't want any of that. Not now anyway. I'm of a mind to tell them to take a hike for now, at least till I know a little more from the use of the CPAP on the correct settings but I need some educated opinions on this. Is it ok to blow all of this off? I do not want to blow my money on these drugs. That's the part that has me thinking I'm in the hands of some serious hustlers though the place I'm at comes with high commendations and certificates. Still, I feel like I'm on a factory line the way things have gone. Any impressions?
Thanks in advance,