UPPP post op issues

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

UPPP post op issues

Postby glester » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi , I am 17 days post op from uppp, tonsillectomy, and uvulectomy. This has been a really bad experience. I had a major bleed 4 days after the surgery. I have been having panic attacks because it feels like something is stuck in the back of my throat all the time.

Has anyone else had this sensation? How long does it take to go away? My ENT told me I was still healing and the rule they use for this surgery is to allow 1 day for every day of your age. I'm 42 so I have 25 days to go. I just want to get used to the feeling in my throat.

I also have a CPAP and now its hard to use. I don't understand the whole throat issue

Any input would be appreciated.

Greg
glester

Postby Pstar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:25 pm

I suggest you try to relax and let your body heal. Reportedly if you stop fixating on little things related to the surgery your brain will adapt to the changes and it will slowly diminish. I had an inner ear disorder which threw my balance off for 2 years. When I finally learned to not fixate on it, my brain adapted to the dfifferent signal it was getting and I rapidly improved. Like white noise, your brain learns to dismiss stimulus info if you relax and don't think about it. Just think about when you wear glasses. If everytime you put them on you kept thinking, "Oh my gosh, what is this thing sitting on my nose: over and over, you'd never learn to dissmiss the sensation. As we all know tho, we all learned to wear glasses and forget we have them on. This is a simplified example but illustrates the general idea. Hope this helps.

Here's a post on this issue from another forum:

Paulette

09.18.08 / 11pm
Hi Jim:

Yes these things get better with time. The scar tissue you will feel for awhile. Just think when you have a scar on your arm or leg you can see it because it goes from red to pink and then finally white to match your skin. Same with the scar in your mouth only instead of seeing it you are feeling it, another sensation. The weezing sound does go away but every now and then I catch myself when I breath a little whitle, specially when I am medatating and at the end of my breath I hear sound nothing but almost like my voice trying to coe out. It all gets better with time. I drink soft drinks, no problem I eat no problem sometimes I wish it was a problem lol….just kidding. I swear everyone it all gets better and time is the only healer in this situation. Everything in good time. I barely notice the scar now, only now and again but I am almost 1 year post op.

"Paulette

10.16.08 / 8am
Hey j bornhorst

It will get easier, I had the UPPP last September and I feel now that the only thing is that I feel scar tissue every now and then but asside form that I am very happy with the results. I no longer snor, every now and then if I am not careful and laugh while I am eating, but I mean a do not expect laugh it could come through the nose. lol

Anyone considering the UPPP remember that no two individuals are the same and no one heals the same either. Think back on other medical things that you have been through and how you healed or came through those.

Paulette"
Pstar

Re: UPPP post op issues

Postby Daniel » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi , I am 17 days post op from uppp, tonsillectomy, and uvulectomy. This has been a really bad experience. I had a major bleed 4 days after the surgery. I have been having panic attacks because it feels like something is stuck in the back of my throat all the time.

Hi and welcome.
Just from a technical point of view, all your procedures are included under the UPPP.

The 'something at the back of my throat' is fairly normal post UPPP. The major bleed isn't 'normal', but you are at high risk of a major bleed for up to 10 days post UPPP. I don't know the percentages, but I believe the bleeding may effect up to about 10% of patients..........this is not a hard figure.

Has anyone else had this sensation? How long does it take to go away? My ENT told me I was still healing and the rule they use for this surgery is to allow 1 day for every day of your age. I'm 42 so I have 25 days to go. I just want to get used to the feeling in my throat.

This may or may not go away. You will have to talk to your surgeon about it. I had my UPPP over 16 years ago, and was on solid food, alcohol etc after about 12 days (I was 38 at the time).

I also have a CPAP and now its hard to use. I don't understand the whole throat issue

At this stage you should be able to use XPAP. Swelling should have reduced substantially and a lot of the rawness cleared up.

Can you be a little more specific on the problem.

Keep posting.

Daniel.
The untreated Sleep Apnoea sufferer died quietly in his sleep..
Unlike his three passengers who died screaming !

The first 40 years of childhood are by far the hardest
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby glester » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:29 pm

At this stage you should be able to use XPAP. Swelling should have reduced substantially and a lot of the rawness cleared up.

Can you be a little more specific on the problem.

Seems like there is a lot of pressure and hard to exhale against. I have a remstar pro mseries that has a ceflex to let you adjust the exhale and I have it on the easiest.

I just want to know I will get use to the feeling in my throat. Yes I am 42 and I'm a baby, I don't understand why me feeling it in my throat triggers panic attacks. I go in a mirror and look and can clearly see nothing is wrong. I've been getting better, its one day at a time. Daniel did you have or can you remember if you had the sensation I'm talking about?

I still have a scap on the uvula or where it was at, maybe it will get easier once its just smooth flesh not a scab.
glester

Postby morisseau4 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 am

Greg,

I had uppp almost 2 years ago. Your symptoms hit me hard. This is the same way I feel and am going out of my mind because of it. I am very angry that I decided to have the surgery as it has not helped at all and has only caused anxiety and depression. It feels very tight everytime I swallow and am reminded of the terrible surgery every time I swallow because of this feeling. I went to my ENT last Thurs. and he injected steroids into the scar tissue from the surgery. He agrees that it is very tight and sometimes the steroids will loosen the scar. It may take a few weeks to feel a change but I believe it may be helping. I see him again at the end of the month. I may ask him to repeat the injections. Maybe this would be something for you to consider. He said it could only help and not make anything worse. I also now take an anxiety pill at night.

Jim
morisseau4

Postby DWsPITA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:23 pm

I believe it is the scar tissue along the edge of the palate that is giving you this sensation and because you had a bleeding problem you may have more scabbing and scar tissue than would be customary. I would think it should get a little better day by day. I had the same sensation after my surgery and it took awhile for it to go away. My doctor told me that the surgery radically alters the architecture of your throat and it takes some time to get used your new throat. You're used to your throat feeling a certain way for 42 years and now, suddenly, it doesn't feel that way anymore. As Pstar suggested, try not to think about it and give yourself time to heal. It's a slow process but it does get better. Good luck.
DWsPITA

Postby stillfeelit » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Jim,

Please keep us updated. I had tonsillectomy 3 years ago and it has turned into a nightmare for me! I am still suffering from the scar tissue on one side of my soft pallet. I feel there is something stuck behind my throat all the time and this makes me feel depressed almost every day. The scar tissue is getting tighter and harder. I feel that there is no way out. Please let me know if the steroids injection will work.

Julia
stillfeelit

Postby morisseau4 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi Julia,

Feeling like ther's no way out is a good way to put it. I feel the same way. I see my ENT tomorrow and will ask him to inject more steroids into the soft palate/scar. It is worse on my right side but has gotten a bit better since the first treatment. I will let you know what he says and if it helps at all. Hang in there and maybe get the ball rolling with your ENT. Set up an appointment and check out your options. If you don't like what he says then go see someone else. I have been to 3 different ENTs and will not quit on this. When you are reminded that you have had a surgery by looking at a scar on your knee (for example) that's one thing. But when you're reminded that you had a surgery everytime you swallow, that's unacceptable. We will figure this out! Get some meds for your depression and see an ENT.

Jim
morisseau4

Postby stillfeelit » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Jim,

The tonsillectomy from 3 years ago left me the nightmare. I have since seen a few other doctors. One of the doctor did another procedure and trimmed my palate/scar tissue 2 years ago but I feel no better than before - still miserable! Just feel something stuck back there in my throat all the time! The only relief is to have my mouth open! I have not gone to a doctor since the 2nd procedure because I am afraid that any more procedure will get the situation worse! I have tried some enzymes that supposed to dissolve scar tissue but nothing happens. I have thought about seeing a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons. I wonder if that is the right doctor to seek for opinion? Some time a simple mistake can alter your life totally.
stillfeelit

Postby stevet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 pm

I had the uvulectomy and sinus surgery done last Friday August 12th 2011. I had a real bad sore throat the 1st day, drank as little as possible. Day 2 started eating pudding, yogurt and ice cream. Yesterday, day 5 had a slice of wheat bread and creamy soup. Today is day 6 had grits and a slice of bread for breakfast and lunch. It has been painful, I actually expected it to be more painful. Haven't snored thus far.
stevet

Mask: pillws
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2005

Postby fabioprestes1972 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:29 pm

glester wrote:Hi , I am 17 days post op from uppp, tonsillectomy, and uvulectomy. This has been a really bad experience. I had a major bleed 4 days after the surgery. I have been having panic attacks because it feels like something is stuck in the back of my throat all the time.

13 days after UPPP and I have the same symptoms.
I also can't exhale through my nose -- the air that comes out hits hard against the scar tissue, when my month is closed. I have to breath out with my mouth opened.

Does anyone had the same issues?

Fabio
fabioprestes1972

Postby Vicki » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Fabio,

You need to contact your surgeon and find out if they need to see you.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!