FAQ · Search

Mobile Site | Full Site

Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]
| Download as PDF |

GERD & Hiatal Hernia

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:54 am Post
I have been using CPAP steady for 2 months. I have a hiatus hernia that I have been taking acid medicine for to keep from having acid problems for years. It works most of the time and I almost never suffer from GERD. It seems like somewhere around the same time I started using CPAP on a regular basis I started having GERD. At first it was not every day but has gotten steadily worse. I started thinking my medicine was no longer working. I went and seen my family doctor who is very active in my conditions. I asked if the CPAP could be causing this condition and she said no. She also felt that it was time to change medicine. I went on a more expensive medicine that use to work really well for me. IT has not stopped the GERD. The GERD has gotten worse. I don't suffer from it at night due to the pressure. I don't feel it when I wake up or have a sore throat. With in a few hours I am swallowing and burping acid again. My question for everyone is this. Does anyone out there have both conditions? And do they have trouble with GERD because of the air pressure turning up acid and irritating the portion of stomach that is in the esophagus? What can be done to prevent this or continue CPAP without GERD?
Thank you to all who may respond.
Last post

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm Post
Bryan,
I used to suffer from heartburn for a long time until I was diagnosed with having a Hiatal Hernia. I was prescribed "Protonics" of which I take one tablet in the morning daily. That pretty much stopped the heartburn completely. I started CPAP therapy about the same time I started taking Protonics (about 2 years) and I am doing fine. CPAP has not affected my heartburn at all.

But now that you've mentioned hernia and CPAP, I wonder if the air going down the throat and inflating the esophagus could cause the hernia to become enlarged.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 pm Post
I have a sliding hiatal hernia, GERD, used CPAP, now BiPap, take prevacid, prilosec, etc.
Ofcoarse uou still need to keep your head elevated so bile doesn't flow into your mouth and get that terrible acid in your throat. It changes day to day. But I know what you mean, there isn't any real improvement that I've seen in either condition. I wear a full face mask so I am concerned about getting the mask off quickly. It may require a larger or more frequent dose of prilosec or prevacid. The other ones didn't work in my case. Good luck.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 am Post
Hey Bryan,

I have the exact symptoms you describe. Before I go on a rant about some miracle cure, I'm sure I should say the educated thing and say that what I am doing works for me and may not work for you....

My hiatal hernia was causing heartburn from hell, and my cpap exasperated this. Doctors gave me nexium, protonics, the whole nine and it wasn't helping. I was getting more secondary symptoms from the medication, and still not sleeping...at all....While my sleep problems are still !@#!, the only thing that has worked for me to get through the heartburn is aloe vera juice. Whatever you do, get all natural pure aloe vera juice, not the blended formulas with other extracts (there is a digestive blend that has peppermint, fennel seed, so on....it makes my nighttime hearburn worse).

If you have a whole foods near you, try getting some Aloe Vera juice and drink the nasty !@#! 10minutes before you hit the bed. It taste like pool water, but the effects of it, for me, have been worth mentioning to you. Please do let me know if you try it and how it works for you!

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 pm Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know how it goes. In general, I've had more success with alternative and complimentary solutions than traditional, so it's worth a try for me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic